ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Washer jets for front screen operate rear screen

997.1, Caddy, e208
Soemone would have just put the hoses ont he wrong motor or wrong side, at the base of the washer bottle.

I got soaking wet replacing mine, working out which one done what.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
does the rear screen control now operate the front washers? if so they have just got swapped over at the washer bottle i expect.

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
It's been working fine for ages just randomly front and rear stalk operations work the rear today.

A search brought up no common fault just wanted to check before I replaced the stalk.

PH2 Flamer
What happens when you operate the rear one? If it works as normal id say the rubber bung inside the pump has stuck.

Either take it apart and cut it down so it slides. Or replace the pump.

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
As above front and rear stalk operations only squirt the rear (giggedy)

So it's the pump not the stalk?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
I think this is fairly common fault.

I found this front/rear washing problem and immediately thought someone had put the pipes on the pump the wrong way round.

Replaced the pump and all was well, so my guess it's not the stalk or pipes but just the pump, aftermarket about £7, may as well replace both pumps whilst you're at it.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
its that little black and white valve that clicks into the pump which is at fault. Not the pump itself

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I put a similar thread up the other day. Mine does the same but what I wanted to know is how the switching is done via the rubber cylinder.

On mine you press for front and front squirts, press for rear and front squirts. The pump is one common pump for both outlets (with the 2 outlets on the pump) and switches between the two via a floating rubber cylinder that switches the flow by blocking off the unwanted path. I still don't get how it does this though, I mean how does the cylinder know which way to go there's something else acting in the actuation side surely.

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
Well I have a new pump for £5 so ill change that first as its easy to do then go from there.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Well I have a new pump for £5 so ill change that first as its easy to do then go from there.

Make sure you have the right pump before taking things off, see the links in this post (or have you bought a 2nd hand one?) It's just that price sounds too cheap for the correct pump which is what happened to me.

I went to euro car parts and got one for £5, got home and it was the wrong pump. They couldn't actually match it up to the sport pump. I went to a different motor factors and the chap there had come accross the part no. problem before, think he said the 172 uses the same washer system as the newer clios. Anyway, ended up costing me about £18 with trade discount.

Anyone buying one make sure it looks like this one before you take the wipers and scuttle off...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...rParts_SM&fits=Model:Clio&hash=item3ccecee017

The one euro car parts have down to fit is this one..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a69254864

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure you have the right pump before taking things off, see the links in this post (or have you bought a 2nd hand one?) It's just that price sounds too cheap for the correct pump which is what happened to me.

I went to euro car parts and got one for £5, got home and it was the wrong pump. They couldn't actually match it up to the sport pump. I went to a different motor factors and the chap there had come accross the part no. problem before, think he said the 172 uses the same washer system as the newer clios. Anyway, ended up,costing me about £18 with trade discount.

Anyone buying one make sure it looks like this one before you take he wipers and scuttle off...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...rParts_SM&fits=Model:Clio&hash=item3ccecee017

The one euro car parts have down to fit is this one..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a69254864

Cheers pal it's a 1.2 16v I've got a second hand one!

Clio 182 cup
Old thread I know but for anyone looking for a fix...,, I was sure the rear wash was blocked on my 182.... Pump was running for front and rear wash but no fluid pumping to rear window. Took the pump out, pulled the two inlets/outlets out of the pump body, split the black and white halves took out the sliding part. Cut about 1mm of rubber off one end of the slider sanded it flat put it back together and I've got a rear wash again. Thanks for the info.