ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warped rear disks?

172 Cup
Car is a ph2 cup and I know the rear brakes do naff all on the cup.
I had new rear disks and pads when I first got the car back in March but at the time had a v loud exhaust when I changed it for standard I noticed a knocking from the rear but only when braking at low speed.
I decided to remove the rear drivers side wheel and put the handbrake on a few clicks and when you turn the disk it intermittently touches the pad like it is warped so my question is we're the disks faulty when fitted or have I managed to warp them I know under normal braking there isn't enough heat in the rear brakes to do this but I do occasionally click the handbrake on a few clicks to clean up the disks it's not left on more than 5 secs though so I can't see that would do it anybody had anything similar?

Renault Clio 172
Brake discs very rarely warp mate, you will have an uneven pad material buildup on your discs, possibly from holding the handbrake on to clean up the disc

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
wow just about to post in here about a similar issue and saw this thread, fitted brand new disk and pads with the washer behind correctly 2 days ago, now have a knocking on one side at very low speed, just recorded it

clicking/knocking noise comes with a tight spot as if the disk is running out, i know a little run out is normal

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
wow just about to post in here about a similar issue and saw this thread, fitted brand new disk and pads with the washer behind correctly 2 days ago, now have a knocking on one side at very low speed, just recorded it

clicking/knocking noise comes with a tight spot as if the disk is running out, i know a little run out is normal

Now that is weird!! Does it do it if you remove the pad carrier?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
will check tomorrow, take it all off and start again, every thing was free when fitted, im thinking the slider pins could be a bit stiff, never seen anything like it before tbh. id usually expect a loose pad for that sort of sound to be coming off it. tried it a few times adding a click on the handbrake each time and it does it up until the point of struggling to turn the wheel by hand.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
just done a quick check while loosening off the hub nut (was suggested it was bearing knock from being too tight?) still does it until the bearing is loose enough to move about on the shaft, so it looks like the disk has a little run out and the sliders are possibly not free enough to take up for it. that or the bearing is on the piss causing run out but i highly doubt that, what do you guys think? sorry for the thread hijack

172 Cup
No probs on the thread hijack in response to g172 I'm not sure if the washers were fitted or not I didn't do the job myself but it does look like the same issue as adeyspec so at least I'm not alone keep me posted if u find the answer mate and I'll do the same

182cup & 172 racecar
just done a quick check while loosening off the hub nut (was suggested it was bearing knock from being too tight?) still does it until the bearing is loose enough to move about on the shaft, so it looks like the disk has a little run out and the sliders are possibly not free enough to take up for it. that or the bearing is on the piss causing run out but i highly doubt that, what do you guys think? sorry for the thread hijack

Ady, was it genuine parts you used, or another type?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
mintex disks and pads for me, came with bearings and abs rings already pressed on/in. maybe that is the issue. ill try again tomorrow without the pad carrier fitted and see if it still has a tight spot or click. Is genuine the only way to go these days? been out of a clio for years. Any one know the brand of bearings that come with the oem disks?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
mintex disks and pads for me, came with bearings and abs rings already pressed on/in. maybe that is the issue. ill try again tomorrow without the pad carrier fitted and see if it still has a tight spot or click. Is genuine the only way to go these days? been out of a clio for years. Any one know the brand of bearings that come with the oem disks?
SNR are the oem bearing brand mate. From experience they fall apart just as well as a cheaper alternative too. The way to be 100% it's disc runout is remove caliper, refit wheel and watch that the wheel doesn't end up with any runout. That'll prove the bearings not been fitted into a pissed up bore in the disc if it's only the disc face with runout.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
No noticeable run out on the wheel with no caliper fitted. There is a rotational noise though i think its normal, what do you guys think?

there is a noise, that is there with or without the wheel fitted, very slight but id say it was just normal noise? no clicking or clunking.

so remove and refit everything, found the sliders were a bit stiff so cleaned and lubed up.

put everything back on and had no bad noise so pulled the wheel back off for another look.

tadaa think i found the noise.

i think the slight disk run out mixed with sticky sliders was causing the slightly loose fit pad to knock.

All help and comments welcome, hope this helps the op too.

FF Clio 182

Your handbrake needs adjusting for a start as it should spin freely. Try removing the calliper and see if sound continues. Could be a pad loose in carrier

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
no worries, handbrake is lightly on to replicate light braking and the noise it makes. yep torqued to 175nm while off the ground. all seems perfectly fine now. done about 20 miles of testing and all still good