ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warped discs, worth getting them skimmed??

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Got some nearly new (2k mile old) brembo MAX grooved discs on the car, and I've managed to warp them. 90% sure thats what the problem is, and I know I know I'm an idiot etc, got caught in some traffic after a blast and couldnt help it much at the time.

Anyways, is it worth getting them skimmed to get them flat again, or just buy some new ones?

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
i warped 3 sets on the mini, must have been giving them some stick!

if you get them skimmed wont it take off the grooves?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I think it will just be luck at how much needs removing/how warped they are.

S4 Avant
Am I just not driving hard enough? My brakes have never had issues like this.

I've only managed to push the brakes to fading once. Do different discs and pads really stop you that much quicker?

Lionel Richie
yup, it also stems down to driving styles, some people on here murder their brakes by the way they drive and then say stuff like you need 4 pots, no you in particular need 4 pots because you drive like a heathen! ;)

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Skimming discs isnt worth it. Just let the brakes cool down before you park up or if in traffic with hot brakes, keep your foot off the brakes to stop the pads creating hot spots on the discs. Shut the engine off in traffic and leave the car in gear if its likely to roll while stationary, but don't forget to put your foot on the clutch when you fire it up again or you will rear end the car in front! Also dont use the handbrake if the brakes are really hot for the same reason.

Cayman S Edition 1
Just get a set of Brembo HC's. Ordered mine from K-tec at the weekend (very cheap)!

Golf GTD Mk7
Skimming discs isnt worth it. Just let the brakes cool down before you park up or if in traffic with hot brakes, keep your foot off the brakes to stop the pads creating hot spots on the discs. Shut the engine off in traffic and leave the car in gear if its likely to roll while stationary, but don't forget to put your foot on the clutch when you fire it up again or you will rear end the car in front! Also dont use the handbrake if the brakes are really hot for the same reason.

Is it not better do use the handbrake rather than the pedal if you have to? Surely safer than starting/stopping the engine and leaving in gear when there is traffic?

Are you sure you're not getting pad material pickup?

Try and a few hard stops (to the point of locking the wheels) from 80mph - 20mph three or four times in a row.

Cheers
M

172cup
what i mean is, if they think for a second that they've been ragged, they'll just put it down to abuse making any warranty null and void. Also difficult to prove how many miles you have covered to them, other than variance between new and used

172 cup
if fitted by a garage they will of recorded the mileage. I see where your coming from but im sure if you put up enough of a fuss it would get sorted like most things. You dont get it unless you be a awkward customer lol

172cup
i very much doubt pepsi went to a garage to fit discs... his last post was showing him fitting coilovers himself lol... but i get your point

172 cup
quite possibly, but i dont follow everyones post history and dont read every post on this site so i didnt know that

Are you sure you're not getting pad material pickup?

Try and a few hard stops (to the point of locking the wheels) from 80mph - 20mph three or four times in a row.

Cheers
M

Seconded. It's VERY rare to genuinely warp discs, most people think they're warped them because they get bad vibration when in fact it's a pad material problem causing judder.

Pepsie, what pads are you using?

172 cup
oh get the chip off your shoulder and stop your b**chin you big girl

rite thats it, get em out lol

Low-cost-Inspried-Big-Handbag.jpg

340i
You've seen my discs Joe....

4000miles combined with PF97's completely worn out the discs! I've got some serious pedal travel now lawl.. pppssssccccchhhh!!!

I also need some new discs

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Cheers for the replies

Icarus, not tried that, I've been trying to go steady on them to be honest but I'll do it tonight and try to clean them up.

Fitted them myself but I did note the mileage. Not that it matters.

I'm running redstuff front pads so I do need to get rid of them ideally, but will be a few months before I have the money.

Kieran, your disks make me laugh haha, 4k miles and they are scrap nearly!!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Cheers for the replies

Icarus, not tried that, I've been trying to go steady on them to be honest but I'll do it tonight and try to clean them up.

Fitted them myself but I did note the mileage. Not that it matters.

I'm running redstuff front pads so I do need to get rid of them ideally, but will be a few months before I have the money.

Kieran, your disks make me laugh haha, 4k miles and they are scrap nearly!!