ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warming up?

ITB BG 182
How long does it take your car to warm up from being completly stationary over night?

I put the car away around 9pm last night, started this morning around half 6.
It took 5 miles or 10 mins of driving between 30 and 40mph for it to warm up.

White clique
for it to get up to full temp where the gauge is at half way point, about 20 minutes, for oil temp to be ok its about 5

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
When it goes well instead of coughing and spluttering then I know its warm!

Put your foot down in 1st when its cold and its like a 1.2 :p

120d M Sport
for it to get up to full temp where the gauge is at half way point, about 20 minutes, for oil temp to be ok its about 5

I find that it's the other way round. Water temp takes about 5 minutes, oil temp takes quite a bit longer, normally 10 minutes or so.

172 cup
after heat wrapping the manifold mine takes a bit longer. Usually 5-6mins (@ 60mph) for the gauge to get half way. Today (-3 degrees) it took around 15mins.

Clio 197
I find that it's the other way round. Water temp takes about 5 minutes, oil temp takes quite a bit longer, normally 10 minutes or so.

Your right, going of the water temp is very misleading as the oil temp will be much lower than the water temp. I quickly learnt this when I fitted an oil temp gauge to my old impreza

Takes mine about 5 mins in the morning because I'm straight on the motorway so it warms up quicker.

after work takes longer as it's country roads, so about 10-15 mins.

Clio 182
My old ST170 had an oil temo gauge. Coolant would reach stable warm temp after about 5 minutes, but the oil woudn't be warm for 10 minutes. That's one thing I miss in the Clio.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I have Defi gauges in my impreza and depending on the ambiant air temp, water usually takes about 10 mins to get to temp and the oil another 5 mins. When the water gauge says it has reached operating temp the oil temp has not even registered on the gauge.

work days i leave for work at 1pm so 12.50 i start her up and leave to warm up. then set off

Out of curiosity does anyone know if this is this bad for the engine?

I have done this before on cold mornings to defrost however I have also heard that by leaving it on idle the rpm is not sufficient to aid oil distribution...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Water gets to warm(ish) after about 2-3 miles. Always try to keep it under 2k for a few mins and only stretch to 2.5k if I have to once the water gauge moves a jiffy. >2.5k = boost :evil:

Out of curiosity does anyone know if this is this bad for the engine?

I have done this before on cold mornings to defrost however I have also heard that by leaving it on idle the rpm is not sufficient to aid oil distribution...

10 minutes isn't going to hurt, but it's hardly doing any good...

Engine on, warm water on the screen, get in the car and drive away.

Scraping is for cold idiots ;)

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I wait for the oil temp gauge to reach normal (I forget where that is just now).

Warm water? Thats for poor idiots ;)

White clique

yes sorry to clarify, on my car i cant get an oil level reading until the oil is at the right temp for a read, which is normally after 5 mins or so. Once my oil can be read, its at the right temp.

Mental 172 Cup
Doesn't take long to warm up if you drive it properly.

I don't mess about keeping it under certain rev limits but don't redline it or boot it because the road conditions don't allow it.

About 5mins and mines warm. Saying that I need a stat as my heaters take a while now a days.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Get and oil pressure and temp gauge, you'll soon realise just how long it takes for the oil to get completely up to temperature. A lot longer than you'd expect, and well after the water is up to temperature.

I got a non sport 1.2 8V if I drive to the girlfriends (about 7 miles away @ 30mph) my temp gauge isnt even a quarter way. Think I may have an issue? lol thats about 20 mins of driving... How ever if I drive for about 30 - 40 mins thats when it gets up to temp

Nick

Sunflower Ph1 172
I got a non sport 1.2 8V if I drive to the girlfriends (about 7 miles away @ 30mph) my temp gauge isnt even a quarter way. Think I may have an issue? lol thats about 20 mins of driving... How ever if I drive for about 30 - 40 mins thats when it gets up to temp

Nick

sounds like sticky thermostat.. sticking open.

Actually, warm water is more sensible. Less rapid temprature change, so less chance of glass cracking if there are any chips (I believe that this is correct, I may be talking out if my arse)
I wait for the oil temp gauge to reach normal (I forget where that is just now).

Warm water? Thats for poor idiots ;)

I have only read that leaving your car to warm up just causes engine wear and that it's better just to head off and keep your revs sub 3k for 10 mins.

BMW 535d
Starting the turbo is a nightmare. Literally role it out thegarage, lock garage and get in and start driving. It cant cold idle for s**t but only take about 2-3 minutes for coolant to warm up. Heaters on flat out then maybe another few minutes and im not affraid of giving it more.

I think theres a limit to being 'careful' with an engine. They go theother way too

Our scanias love to be worked hard all day long, we are pushing 900,000 kms in them now and they start just as weel as they ever did

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Actually, warm water is more sensible. Less rapid temprature change, so less chance of glass cracking if there are any chips (I believe that this is correct, I may be talking out if my arse)

Yup that's probably correct. I'll stick with the heated windscreen though.

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
In regards warming up the engine, how important is it before you give it some? ?
Seen a few for sale recently with the owners saying, I always let the oil warm up before driving. Is this at all beneficial? ? ; )