ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VX220 **Contains half ar*ed photos**

Went out for a drive tonight with the full intention of taking some photos, got completely sidetracked and was out for over an hour and a half scaring myself sh*tless round corners and playing "Elevens" on deserted country lanes.

<3 this car in the dry.

Anyway, after a rather sweaty hour and a half, I got home, realised I had the camera next to me still (buckled in lol) so headed back out to a local carpark round the corner for a few boring snaps. By this point the light was rather rubbish, so excuse the fact some of these are hand shot at 1/30th & iso 800 lol. Unfortunately I do not have the steady grip of a sniper.

Anyway, decided to stick with the half light theme so some moody(ish) snaps below.

7748740704_5685cc1312_z.jpg

VX220_01 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

7748737806_c7f78d366a_z.jpg

VX220_02 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

7748735684_1835370f83_z.jpg

VX220_03 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

7748731810_7a8c8e9d7d_z.jpg

VX220_04 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

7748727974_b38d8e228e_z.jpg

VX220_05 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

7748725690_ebf67aa959_z.jpg

VX220_06 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

7748723100_0ab3d39ae1_z.jpg

VX220_07 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

7748720808_53f30a233c_z.jpg

VX220_08 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

Cheers,
Sam

Edit: Hardtop on - No gay... :eek:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Hi dude. I went out in an NA last night and think I'm gonna take the plunge. Need to stump up some spondooliks asap and sell the Cup on!
Any chance I could PM you over some Qs bout your tubby + mods?

Yours looks TEXTBOOK.

Lovely, nice one for junking the OE rims too (whenever that happened!).

Some more lows at the front one day? :cool:

No intention of any more low's. Loving my arch gap lol. Clears speed bumps easier than the Clio used to! Rims were there when I bought it, but 16/17combo is almost an essential mod, handling is out of this world, so go-kart esque :D

Hi dude. I went out in an NA last night and think I'm gonna take the plunge. Need to stump up some spondooliks asap and sell the Cup on!
Any chance I could PM you over some Qs?

Yours looks TEXTBOOK.

Cheers.

Fire away mate, I don't claim to be an expert but I'll help where I can :D

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lovely mate. Love the colour aswell. Proper mini sports car!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've read nothing but the first line yet, but I just wanted to come here and say f**k YOU for not inviting me. Pleb.

I'll be back with actual comments.

EDIT: Actual comments, god that looks good.

After going in yours, whilst not practical, I'd f**king love one. So much so that it could maybe be a two car setup when I'm done with the zed.

I really loved how it felt, so, raw!

Lovely mate. Love the colour aswell. Proper mini sports car!

Thanks mate. Pocket sized super car. Overwhelmed by its capability so far.

That sir, is stunning :)

Thank you +1

I've read nothing but the first line yet, but I just wanted to come here and say f**k YOU for not inviting me. Pleb.

I'll be back with actual comments.

EDIT: Actual comments, god that looks good.

After going in yours, whilst not practical, I'd f**king love one. So much so that it could maybe be a two car setup when I'm done with the zed.

I really loved how it felt, so, raw!

FLOL at Pleb... That word needs to be used more in my life.

I am very sorry, I honestly didn't intend it to turn into a hoon but once I got going I couldn't stop. Turns out it takes quite a lot of idioticness to spin up the back wheels and brake traction in the dry, still not brave enough to go sideways properly though.

Oh and thanks +2. It is a bit of a looker :eek:

Lotus Elise
Looks very nice, does it actually say Vauxhall any where on it?

How do you find the tyres I am tempted to put a set on the Porsche.

Looks very nice, does it actually say Vauxhall any where on it?

How do you find the tyres I am tempted to put a set on the Porsche.

Couple of Griffins, no text lol. Put the "vee" back on the front grill as it looked empty.

Tyres are very good. Grip well in the dry and with 6mm+ of tread remaining the wet weather performance is not bad, but I never push on in the wet. Standing water is just about acceptable (not sure if this is partially down to my lack of weight) but certainly not something I look forward to and definitely not something I fancy with low tread. I will also don a set of winters if I still have the car in November.

Not sure how you'd find them if your planning on giving them battering with a few extra KG's on top of them? I daresay they'll take slightly more abuse under your driving ability than my rather modest ability. I also haven't been anywhere near a track yet.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Gorgeous, i've got a right soft spot for these at the minute!

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Awesome little cars these from vauxhall. My brothers had 3 now. N/A 2.2, last built number VXr 220 and then bought another N/A 2.2 and entered the time attack series.

He spent an absolute fortune and it seemed to pay off competing in the rwd class against a 650bhp ish sierra and a RX-7 700bhp. My brothers was only 265bhp at the time but still managed to win.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5187/5636199920_69b9e59cc4_z.jpg

Incredible little cara and even more potential when the right driver is behind them.

I do love the colour of yours though. Looks hell-ish different. You got a project thread at all?

Turbos.
/\ Sounds good

Nice choice there! We should arrange a little Sidcup meet; haven't been there back a while and it would be a lot of fun talking about how awesome i am.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Awesome looking car! Would love a passenger ride in one, haven't been in a n/a or a turbo :(, I feel like im missing out.

330 Ci
Ahh, so your brothers Jimmy! Very nice car he's got, saw him at a recent trackday he organised round Anglessey the SC whine on his was epic! Interestingly he won his class with 17" tyres on the front dispelling the 16/17 myth. Awesome machines

Wow amazing car etc etc! ;)

Glad you're still loving it, they really do handle like a go kart don't they!

Looks proper smart with the V back on the front, I never even considered doing it tbh. Apart from the radio ariel too, made any other changes?

Very nice

Thanks mate!

Lovely!

I wish I'd tried to get in/out of it last week just to see how difficult it is.

Should have! You'd be the same as me though as you also suffer from lanky b*stard syndrome. ;)

Really, honestly, difficult.

Like, no one is over-exaggerating when they say about it.

You couldn't park in a tight spot and physically get out.

Summed it up, bay parking in tight spaces is a no no...

Gorgeous, i've got a right soft spot for these at the minute!

So nice mate!

Elevens?

Thanks again... See below, basically being a hooligan :evil: It's rather swift off the line and the acceleration, though childish, is grin inducing.

Hard to brake traction in the dry ?

Easy as pie... 4k, sidestep the left pedal, bury the right pedal.

Hello ASBO.

Well I say "hard" loosely. It's certainly not hard if you have no mechanical sympathy for the clutch.

HELLO ASBO. Proper hooligan wagon when it's popping and banging its way through every gear.

Elevens=burnouts, I would of thought.

:eek: Not sure it's actually heavy enough to make 11's but I like the phrase and the squirmy rear.

Awesome little cars these from vauxhall. My brothers had 3 now. N/A 2.2, last built number VXr 220 and then bought another N/A 2.2 and entered the time attack series.

He spent an absolute fortune and it seemed to pay off competing in the rwd class against a 650bhp ish sierra and a RX-7 700bhp. My brothers was only 265bhp at the time but still managed to win.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5187/5636199920_69b9e59cc4_z.jpg

Incredible little cara and even more potential when the right driver is behind them.

I do love the colour of yours though. Looks hell-ish different. You got a project thread at all?

Jimmy Jam? Familiar with the car over on vx220.org, epic machine! There's a few on there running them in the time attack series. Very very capable, would love to get on track to see what it will do, but I am truly petrified of driving my house deposit into the armco!

No project thread as it wants for nothing (bar an inter-cooler for stg3!!) , but Dan Freeman started up a small ownership diary if you want a nosey through.

/\ Sounds good

Nice choice there! We should arrange a little Sidcup meet; haven't been there back a while and it would be a lot of fun talking about how awesome i am.

Indeed. Not so sure on the last point! On a side note I think we went to the same school as well, albeit you being a few years my senior.

looks smart the td's suit it well ;)

Cheers.

LOVE these cars so much!!! That colour looks fantastic.

Still never been in one. Planning on owning one in the next few years

Thanks a lot, colour is really great. Ownership is a big step, I took it a bit too lightly lol! But they are epic epic machines.

Love it! Wheels really suit it too.

Cheers Mr Scone!

Awesome looking car! Would love a passenger ride in one, haven't been in a n/a or a turbo :(, I feel like im missing out.

Well worth it, would recommend the experience to every petrolhead.

Ahh, so your brothers Jimmy! Very nice car he's got, saw him at a recent trackday he organised round Anglessey the SC whine on his was epic! Interestingly he won his class with 17" tyres on the front dispelling the 16/17 myth. Awesome machines

Anglesey national? Gutted I didn't make it :(

Wow amazing car etc etc! ;)

Glad you're still loving it, they really do handle like a go kart don't they!

Looks proper smart with the V back on the front, I never even considered doing it tbh. Apart from the radio ariel too, made any other changes?

Oh....and when you're back up my way we'll defo need to do a shoot of it too.

No other changes bar some mesh in the crashbox to stop the debris entering the cabin. Made sense to get the niggley jobs done with the clam off when the Pro-Alloy rad was being fitted. And yes to the above account, would love to and I still need to grab the undertray from your place!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
/\ Sounds good

This definitely needs to happen. Haven't actually "met" you per se.

Maybe a meet in the miller and carter in bexley, (used to be jacobe-and-barn) then a pint inside?

It's like a proper chis and sid reunion! (Sam's 1 year younger than me, and I think you're three/four my senior?)

It's not taking up any space in the garage so no rush on the under tray.

The dirt does get a bit annoying after a while doesnt it! That one time you use the fan on full power, I've had flies/wasps/leaves/all sorts decorating the dash! Makes sense to try and dtop that if you had the clam off.

Also, to the others.....I found it pretty hard to 'have a play' in the dry. With all that weight over the rear, combined with sticky track tyres....it aint easy! Like Sam said, if you have no sympathy for the drivetrain, then I suppose that's a different story......but I don't like to treat my cars like that.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I'm tempted to swap my Tam for a stage 3 one. Itch I have to scratch after not really liking the Exige S I tried.

Those itches are bloody difficult to get rid of lol!

How come you didnt like the Exige if I may ask? (Just curious, not getting all jumpy here!)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Those itches are bloody difficult to get rid of lol!

How come you didnt like the Exige if I may ask? (Just curious, not getting all jumpy here!)

No problem Dan. If I'm honest, it just wasn't fast enough, my last two sports cars I'd owned before I'd tried it were 350ishbhp/tonne and the S just felt a little limp, hence why I ended up in another TVR. I know they aren't all about pace, but it felt slower than my MX-5 Turbo, and the £27k JCT600 wanted for the Clubsport edition just made it seem like not enough bang for my money. Round here all the roads flow so well you wouldn't see the benefit of it handling well, I like to have something I have to fight.

I'd like to try a VX220 but it'd have to be a fettled one so I can get my speed rush.

If you could see 300bhp easily from an S I would have bought one, but even the 260cup didn't give me much of a buzz.