ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Volvo V60 R-Design

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
The time has come for me to buy a larger/sensible car, went to look at one of these today and it drove and looked pretty nice for 1.6 diesel engine. Anyone had any experience with these? 2012 model in particular. Had cruise, DAB, heated seats etc. Unfortunately it didn't have xenons or nav but the price is quite competitive (slight discount to be added too), heres a quick picture.

volvo_zpsjgnf5q2y.jpg

Will be dull as shite to live with as a daily. I'm a Volvo fan and love the V60 but a 2.0L minimum is required here mate. It's a heavy car and a 1.6 isn't enough capacity. Can you not stretch to a D4?

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
To be honest it was a bit of a impulse viewing/drive as the missis pointed it out as we were driving past, I've not really looked at any of the other models. So V60's are OK I just need to look for the bigger engine? IIRC the 1.6 is 115bhp which is less than the 1.0 in my Ecoboost!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
My old neighbour has a 1.6D but in proper basic spec. Sounded s**t and never looked like it was really moving when he put his foot down.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
1.6 d is a Peugeot engine. There s**t d3 is a 2.0 5 cylinder Volvo engine

I have run 2 of these since they came out both d4's

Early d3 was 148 bhp 5 cylinder
Later d3 became 134 5 cylinder then in 2014 became a 4 cyl

D4 was a 163 5 then became 180 4 then this year became 187

They are not boring to drive at all as the chassis is excellent and the 5 cyl has character and bundles of torque

Nav essential,as without screen is tiny.

Nav also gives upgraded hifi

Leather is best and r design seats are a bit naff

If it was me i would seek out a 2012 d4 lux nav

They are not that big barely bigger than a focus or golf estate. The load area isnt a great shape either

Anything else ask away

f2a0bf2fdff52e5972e66915e4ace9ac.jpg
ad2fe20e63b42ddb04d7120cc52989d5.jpg
efe082a80ec22d2741de826953e646f3.jpg
557754c5aa0e05e4ab8a51a26b36a8c8.jpg
8740b7011760b00b4a93d269bd2f583e.jpg

I dont run the r design for tax reasons, so spec high, business editions

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Changed my mind on the V60 and decided on a V40 D3 R Design Nav. I'm properly pleased with it. Active bending Xenons, nav, leathers, heated seats, cruise, park assist etc. Quick picture from the dealers.

f148c05fabf0243b23c9c495979fec68.jpg

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Is there a website to find out what optional extras were added to my car?

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
This thing is properly red 🙈

Signed up to myvolvo and found the spec out, Lux Nav + Winter Pack isn't what it was advertised as so that's a bonus! It needs a proper polish though, absolutely covered in swirls. Does anyone know if Passion Red is lacquered?

IMG_0545_zpsv2s8ur82.jpg

IMG_0539_zpsloge8qgn.jpg

Yep will be laquared

Winter pack is a nice bonus not sure if its the same as mine but assume its heated seats and screen

I have the tft display as well which is really nice over the standard display.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
That's really nice!

How's the interior quality of these? We were 90% set on a C30 for the Mrs a few months ago, went to see a 3 year old one and walked away after 2 minutes of being inside. Couldn't have been more disappointed with the quality/fit.

The picture that Harv posted looks awesome though!

Volvo's interiors are there strong point, especially the seats. I'd love another but just not sure I could justify the cost of them compared to say a 3 series as they're a little wooden to drive in comparison and wrong wheel driven. On the flip side the newer models like the v40/60 look much better than say the now old looking e9×'s.

Having had both 3 series and v60 i would say the volvo is a fine drive
The platform is the same as the mondeo is renowned for how well it handles

The wrong wheel drive comment sounds like a typical chest beating rwd is realwheel drive one. The real world after 30 years of motorsport and instruction says for the road fwd is far far better 90% of the time really .

The volvos are certainly very capable and i notch up 30k a year .

As for interiors they are very colour dependant. I learnt years ago that black interiors do become depressing and dreary but light means lots of cleaning and knowing a decent valeter.

The V60/ xc60 are fine cars and i think the v40 is a fine hatch , far better than a focus inside.

The v40 is head and shoulders above the old c30 which was s**t because basically like the s40 and v50 they were fords , i had a v50 and it was shocking .

Always buy with nav and leather and a decent power output and they are great even if they dont fit the loads that they could in the past due to modern trendy swoopy rear ends

The wrong wheel drive comment sounds like a typical chest beating rwd is realwheel drive one. The real world after 30 years of motorsport and instruction says for the road fwd is far far better 90% of the time really .

You have your preferences I have mine, as for the beating my chest comment this made me literally LOL coming from you. You're the Silverback of chest beating on this forum my friend.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
That's really nice!

How's the interior quality of these? We were 90% set on a C30 for the Mrs a few months ago, went to see a 3 year old one and walked away after 2 minutes of being inside. Couldn't have been more disappointed with the quality/fit.

The picture that Harv posted looks awesome though!

The interior is properly nice, everything feels quality and the TFT dials make it feel really modern. My only dislike is the centre console as there are too many buttons but that's just the norm across the Volvo range. I'll get some interior shots today, it has full black heated leathers. The centre console screen is nice and big because it was specced with sat nav, it has a camera on the window screen that scans the road signs and brings up the speed limit on there which is a nice feature if you're driving on new roads. The active bending xenons are awesome too.

The Clio is a track car only, and was purchased as it's probably the best budget track car on the market.

So you own "both" rwd, fwd and 4wd then yeah? 😂
Last track car i'd use would be fwd , and yes i have 2 fwd cars clio and volvo 1 rwd in the 911 and 1 4wd in the audi s4 (enough chest beating for you) so i would say i have a better chance at giving a valid everyday use opinion.

However I'll continue to help Ben with his questions and leave you to chuckle away.

Last track car i'd use would be fwd , and yes i have 2 fwd cars clio and volvo 1 rwd in the 911 and 1 4wd in the audi s4 (enough chest beating for you) so i would say i have a better chance at giving a valid everyday use opinion.

However I'll continue to help Ben with his questions and leave you to chuckle away.
Yeah we all know what you drive, what you've driven, where you've driven, how well you drive blah, blah, blah...

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Sorry for the thread hijack

@harvsurrey

What S4 is it you have mate? I've just been looking at B7 cabriolets as a possible next car (if the DVLA let me have my licence back in 6 months). Anything major to look out for?

By the way, I'm happy to hear your experiences and opinions, that's what forums are for!

Sorry for the thread hijack

@harvsurrey

What S4 is it you have mate? I've just been looking at B7 cabriolets as a possible next car (if the DVLA let me have my licence back in 6 months). Anything major to look out for?

By the way, I'm happy to hear your experiences and opinions, that's what forums are for!
I have a b6 on an 05 as the cab was face lifted later.
Cam chain rattle on cold start , fine if only a second or so , more then your heading for 3 to 4 k bill

Secondary rads go and a bit costly , you can now get discs that are non audi as that used to be a big bill
Other than that no real issues

Had ours since 07 and done 50 k in it

Expect 20mpg av

They respond well to miltek full system and revo map

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Volvos always causing a commotion on here, it's quite amusing.
It's constant on here when it comes to volvos.

I'll sum it all up. Volvos are for old folk. Will never be cool. Please accept that and don't try justifying how great they are. It's a ford in a different suit. They literally have nothing going for them apart from being a decent motorway mile muncher!

Reactions: Ben
It's constant on here when it comes to volvos.

I'll sum it all up. Volvos are for old folk. Will never be cool. Please accept that and don't try justifying how great they are. It's a ford in a different suit. They literally have nothing going for them apart from being a decent motorway mile muncher!
Whilst i largely agree you have taken a stereotype there thats changed alot

Buyers of V40 , and certainly XC60 are alot younger with alot of 30somethings buying them (you may still deam that old)
The majority of merc and audi buyers are older especially outside the shopping car and hatch market.

See also porsche/ferrari insert supercar name here

As for being a recycled ford , only in the c30/v50 era , the new ones are as much ford as a range rover evoke (same platform as the v60/ xc60

As for cool

Guy martin disagrees :)

uploadfromtaptalk1462029821466.jpg

And then there was

uploadfromtaptalk1462029841680.jpg

But then again most mainstream cars are boring and clios are driven predominately by women if you want to use statistics

Top 10 fast estates , number 4 i think in front of the Golf R

Not many in the uk , couple of PHers have them

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
The V40 looks great from the 10 yard test but up close the paint is terrible. I was tempted to de-badge it at the back but in all honesty I don't think I can be bothered!

IMG_0551_zpsesyekaca.jpg

IMG_0550_zpsecbyhe9b.jpg