ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

vibration between 65 and 75mph- not balance,bearings or drive shafts.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
Looking for a bit of umm advise as we're runnig out of ideas, sorry if you feel this is in the wrong section but it seemed like the best fit. ( actually just seen a better fit can a mod bump this to the tech faults section)
Any way at work we have a 2006 mk2 focus 2.0tdci with 30k, and it has a really bad vibration at 74mph when it happens you'd swear it is a wheel balance, but the wheels have been balanced 5 time by 5 different people, on 2 different machines, then the wheels have been swapped with a proven ok donor, actually 2 donors (one 16 inch wheels the other 17s), but the problem car still persists.
We have swapped both drive shafts with the donor (the ones we took off had a wee bit of play in the cvbut both have zero play in the shaft bearing, but the newer ones have made no difference), we have also changed all 4 wheel bearings (come as full hub assemblies), all the discs and pads are pretty new, moving freely in the carriers and the discs have pretty much no run out.
The vibration is strange, if you slowly accelerate up through the gears, it will start to shake at 62 then it build up till its at its strongest at 74mph, and it feels like the car is going to shake to bits, the wheel bucks strongly untill you accelerate through it about 80. If you hammer it it accelerates smoothly and vibration free all the way up the speedo. If you gun it to 72-74, sometimes it does not vibrate straight away, some times you can feel it building, its almost like somethign needs to settle before it can start to vibrate, i suggested suspension rather than drive train as ive heard of similar faults with blown shocks, but first i was told to wheest, coz i'm not a mechanic, then assure they were ok when they all started profuse head scratching. They are determined its somethign that turns.I've looked into stuff like on car balancing but no one in scotland does it, but even that might only mask the true fault, and as soon as the customer get any work done, tyres, brakes even servicing it will come back.
Its very very queer, and our techs havent came accross anything like it, just wonder if if any one has came across anything like this before.

Last edited: