ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VERY smokey 182

Right, here goes...

When accelerating at full throttle through the gears, my 182 gives off A LOT of smoke/vapour from the exhausts. I'm not talking a little bit, I can't see out of the rear window and looking in the mirrors the whle road and car following is covered in smoke/vapour.

When stationary reving it up to 6k in neutral it's fine.
It only happens above 5k revs, around town the car is fine.
There is no loss in power.
The emission light was on, but it's gone off now.
Car passed mot fine in November.
I've checked the oil and coolant and they're clear so that rules out the HG
I have given it a good blast several times all the way to the red line in each gear to try and clear the thing out... but no change.

What could it be?

White/grey smoke, and it doesn't seem to smell. When looking back it appears to be water vapour as you can see the droplets spitting out.

The reason I mentioned vapour is because my rear window is dripping wet after it happens. Its weird because around town it's fine, and it's certainly not down on power... just pumping out the gasses full throttle!

Da

Less
Is the car stood for long periods? The exhaust is known to collect moisture which will be expelled as vapour at certain revs once warmed up.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
As Daz says, could be water in the exhuast. May have loads in there. Washed the car recently or anything?

Its driven daily (admittedly not far, it barely warms up) and hasn't been washed since September. I though it might be water in the exhaust, but wouldn't a couple of blasts to the redline in all gears clear this?

It does look like water spitting out the back tbh, and when idle it's dribbling from the pipes.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Have you done the Italian Tune up yet???

The one we all told you to do Two weeks ago?

Have you done the Italian Tune up yet???

The one we all told you to do Two weeks ago?

Yup, followed your advice hoping to cure it... redlined each gear (including fifth :eek:) several times but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Da

Less
If it barely warms up daily then this will only add to the problem as it will collect condensation. I would say it's moisture vapour and nothing really to worry about. Go for a long drive down the motorway and see if it changes anything.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, mine spits some steam out when hot and sees the top of the rev range a couple of times a day in my 32 mile round trip. Only a dribble but it does. Just s**t design. Have to see what it's like in the summer.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yup, followed your advice hoping to cure it... redlined each gear (including fifth :eek:) several times but it doesn't seem to have helped.

FLOL @ Redlining in fifth!! Thats dedication!

I'm 99% sure its just because you do such little journeys. Because the car doesn't get hot enough, the water builds up in the exhaust and takes a while to blow out as condensation.

Distance rather than revs to clear it then?

I'll try and film it... you've no idea how bad it is. I dropped down to 4th today to nip out on the motorway and the car behind me vanished in the vapour. It looks like a full on rain cloud has ejected from my car?!

A bit of smoke I can deal with, this is stupidly bad! lol

Laguna sport tourer
normal,mine does this really bad,normally have to use rear wiper after booting it, it is much worse when the car has been used for the school run for a few days. normally a long jurney sorts it, then after a day or so its back to normal

normal,mine does this really bad,normally have to use rear wiper after booting it, it is much worse when the car has been used for the school run for a few days. normally a long jurney sorts it, then after a day or so its back to normal

Really? I would go as far as saying mine is dangerous to other road users... nobody can see! lol

Nippy white cup
I remember seeing leeshez on a meet once and his was doing this...I wouldn't worry about other cars though...as thick as it looks it litereally dissappeated the second it came out of the exhaust..although it did cover the whole rear end of his car lol.

Mine does this as well but it is used daily for a reasonable distance so not sure about the cause in my case

Chris

Right!

I've had an epic morning. Got up early with the satnav in hand... filled her up with fuel and off I went.
177 miles later, averaging 15mpg and I'm back home with an empty tank of fuel. The result? All vapour is gone, not a sign of smoke in sight... and whats more I've had an awesome morning hacking round all the B roads of the New Forest and back via the scenic coast roads.
Thanks for everyone's help, it was exactly as you all said... I just hadn't done enough miles in the thing to clear the condensation in the exhaust.

I f**king love my 182 :approve:

RB 182 Cup
My 182 has had this problem since I've had it, but admittedly I also only do 3 miles to work and back every day and the occasional weekend blat around the island.

Having read this thread, its given me an excuse to go on a heroic drive like fUbAr, so thanks everyone! :-D

I'll let you know if it sorts it for me.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Right!

I've had an epic morning. Got up early with the satnav in hand... filled her up with fuel and off I went.
177 miles later, averaging 15mpg and I'm back home with an empty tank of fuel. The result? All vapour is gone, not a sign of smoke in sight... and whats more I've had an awesome morning hacking round all the B roads of the New Forest and back via the scenic coast roads.
Thanks for everyone's help, it was exactly as you all said... I just hadn't done enough miles in the thing to clear the condensation in the exhaust.

I f**king love my 182 :approve:

I didn't see this thread before, but mine did this last year! I cured it by doing exactly the same as you. Heh :cool:

Good news mate.

Titanium 182
A quicker and cheaper way Is to get the engine hot park it facing up a steep hill and rev it until
It stops. It's like the exhaust us a tap lol.