ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

verniers or keep dephaser?

So with bodies and mild cams say 428/421 territory.

Should you switch to verniers or keep the dephaser?

As far as I can see verniers allow easier adjustment of the cam timing and would not fail like a dephaser.

But you lose the flexibility of adjusting the cam timing when the engine is running so may be compromised in that respect.

Thanks

Mark - old thread I know - but what decision did you make in the end, did you get an useful feedback or information?

Well I was considering the following advantages of using verniers with 421s:
- Adjustment when calibrating to eek out extra performance or modify output character.
- Less rotating mass on cambelt assembly.
- Less serviceable parts.
- ECU switched VVT output can be configured for an alternative function.

Against advantages of dephaser:
- Smoother idle (not confirmed as not using stock ECU anyway)
- less cost

Are there any other points I have not thought of?

Like Dan says really, I would delete for 422/423 cams probably.
Chip did go on about some other advantage in keeping it. Might be worth a search for his posts with vvt delete/dephaser in lol or contact him on face book.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Regards going vernier would they work as an alternative when running 225 pistons as they don't use VVT? Set the timing up to suit using the pulleys and do away with the dephaser, maybe throw in some 197 cams too while it's apart. Been thinking about this as a next step up for more power with the charger.