ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

vegetable oil in diesel

clio rxe
hey thick, I bet you wont ever put vegetable oil in your "enhgine"
maybe they should change this place to the cliodiesel.net or clioveggieoil.net then you and mark can join, and leave this place to the people with sports engines

seems more people are interested in this than just me sperm bucket

Lionel Richie
IF YOU USE NEW OIL - THERE IS NO SMELL it is "cleaner" smelling than pure diesel.

there bloody is! the good people of birmingham could smell my car from the M6 as i drove past! LOL

the other problem is you feel a right t**t walking into tesco and buying 10 x 3 L bottles of veg oil!

535d / t5 caravelle
so if i swap the lucas pump over for a bosch pump, is that it? job done i can use veggie oil?

Lionel Richie
i believe you might be ok if you add engine oil to the mix

i know someone that runs his audi diesel on kerosene/parrafin and he has to add engine oil (1pint per 20L i think he said)

hi guys

sorry to hijack, was wondering whether the pump choice (bosch or lucas) mattered on an old (N reg 1996 ) or whether i could give the 50.50 a try irrespective of the type of pump ?

My bicycle!!
my mate ran hismk2 diesel golf on it for about a week and it ran fine!

He made a comment saying
'its so much better on fuel'

i said
'only because you dont put any in it'

dont think he thought about what he said there!
bet he felt like a fool hahaha

FF 172
I have an old FIAT Tipo diesel (I HATE THE F****** THING WITH A PASSION!) but..... it`s a indirect injection engine which has the Bosch EPVE diesel pump on it, therefore it can cope with the thicker oil which you can buy straight off the shelves in supermarkets. In the summer i use rapeseed oil 12 x 3 litres bottles and just 3 litres of diesel per tankful. In the winter i put 8 x 3 litre bottles in the heap and 3 litres of v power then 5 litres of diesel, the car has run fine for over 12 months, i use it for general running around and work etc. The oil needs changing twice a year and i do notice a difference in performance, but at less than 70p pre litre and about 42 to the gallon who cares,
Having said that i have not used it for a month because i can`t stop driving the (new to me) 172.
I would not advise anyone to do it if they were not 100% sure of the Diesel pump, just take a minute and phone a main dealer for the price of a new pump first, i bet they cost about £1700+, you could buy cheaper if it stopped pumping but even at 50% of the price it is still about £900.
....didn`t read all of the thread.......gotta go out!

FF 172
IF YOU USE NEW OIL - THERE IS NO SMELL it is "cleaner" smelling than pure diesel.

there bloody is! the good people of birmingham could smell my car from the M6 as i drove past! LOL

the other problem is you feel a right tw*t walking into tesco and buying 10 x 3 L bottles of veg oil!

...................yeah there is that! and yeah it does stink too my missus hates the stink, it makes her feel sick, unles it`s the stigma of travelling around in a fiat

i took a look at the pimp yesterday but couldnt tell which one it had ....
any ideas how i can tell? its a 96 on an N reg Clio diesel RL

FF 172
go here http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/
have a looksee
.....here is the type of pump i have, its the second one down epve i think its called.
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...s?q=bosch+epve+pump&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=X
there is a lucas one further down which is not really compatible, it might work for a day or two but then it might blow the seals and even at scrapyard prices you would be lucky to get another pump for £200
a mate at work was asking about this and i advised him not to bother because he has a car worth over £2k, if it does go wrong i`m not going to be buying him a diesel pump! especially as it`s £2010 + vat for his Golf!
The car i use veg. oil in is worth at best £250, if it broke i would just weigh it in, i suppose you have to weigh up the options and ask yourself if it`s worth it.

Last edited:
  M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Point three:-
Blended with diesel at 5 to 20% oil added to diesel --- no mods are normally needed in most conditions (except Transits etc with lucas/cav pumps)

What can you do to run a 2001 transit veg oil?

Is just becasue they have a lucas pump?

ive been trying to find where people have read about the 'free use' of 2500-3000 litres of oil without attracting tax.

The HRMC website suggests that this is not free:-
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...MCE_PROD1_024771&propertyType=document#P6_326

What is the duty rate on cooking oil?

Cooking oil (whether used or unused) which has not been specifically produced or processed as a road fuel, will normally be classed as a fuel substitute. The duty rate will be the same as the sulphur-free diesel rate.
The important question is whether the finished fuel meets the legal definition. If a vegetable oil used as road fuel meets the fiscal definition HMRC will be happy to accept that it is entitled to the duty rate for biodiesel.

Can I use vegetable oil in my car if I mix it with normal diesel?

You can use vegetable oil in your car and mix it with diesel (vegetable oil is generally used as a substitute for diesel) but you will have to make arrangements to pay the excise duty to HMRC. See question 'How do I notify Revenue & Customs that I am using cooking oil in my vehicle?'.
Important Note: It is illegal to run your car on any fuel substitute without having first paid us the duty.

MSE forum says this:-
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=520558
icon1.gif
Use Vegetable Oil If You Have A Diesel Car
Ever thought of using vegetable oil in your diesel car ? last month revenues and excise have given everybody a personal limit of 2500 litres of bio diesel duty free per annum. So if you have 5 people in your house you can safely use 12500 litres of vege oil per annum and as it is 54p at most supermarkets and if you buy in bulk direct from the manufactureres this turns down to approx 42p per litre. against 99p per liter of diesel and 97p per liter of petrol.
this would save you a bomb. Also some vehicles do not need conversion either before they can accept vegetable oil either.

Interesting YouTube Tope Gear vid :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFbsaNeZps

This talks of producers as opposed to users. Not sure of the significance of this terminology.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief4307.htm

Those who declare that they expect to produce less will be deregistered and will not receive any further returns. We will refer to producers operating below the threshold as “exempt” producers. They must, however, contact us to enter their premises if they subsequently exceed 2,500 litres in a 12 month period, or if, at any time, they expect to exceed this amount within the next 12 months. Exempt producers are also required to keep simple production records (date of production and quantity produced, in litres) on an ongoing basis, and retain these for six years. Production levels should be checked at the end of each month. If they find that they need to enter their premises, they should contact the HMRC National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000.

Another nice linky
http://www.wasteless.co.uk/html/veggieconversion.htm