ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Variable idle speed?

1.2 Clio
Can you change the idle speed of the clio with relative ease?
If not, how is the idle speed sensed and controlled?

ECU and an idle sensor?

Basically I will soon have a pretty big load on my engine, even though it's stationary.
I risk stalling my engine, so currently will have to hold my foot on the throttle to keep it running, but it could be for half an hour on end or so...

So can you just be clever and sit the idle around 2k (preferably with a dial so I can dial upto 2k as load increases).

The times when I want the idle at 2k or so, will be rare. Maybe once a week or so... But certain days it could be engaged all day...
So 'switching' or 'dialing' the idle from ~800 now, to 2k, is what I want.
Idea's?

1.2 Clio
Yeah, exactly that.

How do the 'power start' things work? I don't know the correct name, but you press a button, it revs like mad then pulls away sharpish?
Or I might just get a 'click in' actuator and hold the throttle open in booming periods.

53 Clio's & counting
What about a double battery setup?

I know it is beefier, but I had a big big install in my Mondeo ST24 (x2 12" JL's, x1 15" R.F., 4 amps, power cap etc) and that had a twin setup and the powercap never reg'd low voltage even with the Mondeo's 650 rpm idle

1.2 Clio
I need a little more than that :)

I've got enough battery juice, but it's the recharging that's killing me. I'm working on fitting a 210a alt (should be on soon enough now).
I just need to hold those revs.
I've got 2 batteries ontop of under the bonnet, not mega current draw right now, but once my power supply is sorted I will have. ;)

53 Clio's & counting
Impressive!

The idle is ECU controlled mate, so without some ECU trickery im not sure how you will do it

1.2 Clio
Ah, ok thanks.

It may well be easier to knock up an actuator or something to grip the throttle at ~2k instead.