ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver Steering colum

Rover 620ti, MK1 Valver
morning all

Garage is telling me i now need a new steering colum in the valver even though they aparently checked it and it was fine. I hear there is some fix that involves putting a weld on it? can someone explain / show me how that works?. I mentioned it to the garage previously and they didn't seem to think it would work

Rover 620ti, MK1 Valver
bump

this is urgent.. any info required

need to talk to the garage in a few hours so cliosport knowladge is required, lol

There is a Universal joint at the bottom of the column where it joins with the steering rack arm, theres a rubber bush inside that joint which wears and causes play in the steering. You can weld it in situ, or you can get hold of a 2nd hand column and change it yourself, its not that hard - I did it and i have all the mechanical prowess of a badger.

If you want to weld it however, here is where it needs to be done. Most garages wont want to weld it with the column in place however as space is tight behind the pedals and theres a nice risk of melting lots of things around the footwell.

column.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
is this a similar problem with 172s aswell?

is there a bush that joins column to rack or wateva or sumthin like that?

mine knocks on turning left and also when sudden acceleration/braking. im sure its linked to steering - something loose

(i have 0 mechanical knowledge!)

CB600FS
Ballbag thats more likely to be your driveshaft cv joint or possibly shock tops. There isn't a bush that links the column to the rack.