ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver or R5 GT turb?

Clio Sport 1.4 16v
OK so I know this may be a stupid question to ask here and I think I already know the answer, but you have to respect the R5 for what it is.

BAsically a mate and I are buying a project car to have a bit of fun with, the idea is to make it REALLY quick and keep it relatively standard, we would like to do some RWUB at santa pod and a few track days, opinions please???

I have to admit im swaying towards the R5. SORRY!

Daz

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I'd go for the 5 Turbo. I have a thing for them :)

Dan

williams 2 turbo
ive always liked 5's. ive had a 5 turbo engined clio, williams, and valver. if you want a fast play thing, stick a 1.8 or willy lump in a 5 turbo shell. wont cost a lot, easier to live with, and less prone to failures. good luck with it.

Clio Sport 1.4 16v
I think we all do mate if you like Renaults I don't think its possible not to like them! R5 1 Valver 0

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
r5 for me too...it's much lighter! Would be awesome stripped to the bone with a ITB'd f7r and drag slicks....12s easy maybe 11s.

valver engined r5.
citroen ax wit a vts lump in it and quicksilver gearbox.
get the engine to about 150bhp strip it, 1 seat and a harness and u got the ultimate track weapon.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Thought the 5's were awful for trackdays though? For straightline speed, the Turbo; for handling, a serously fettled Valver.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
ive had a bout 9 gtts now, ace cars longs you have an idea of what ure doing, carb setup is critacal ive now just finished my gtt with a valver lump in ;) very sweet car to drive, heading over to the ring in her next week

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
R5 no buts.Get a little re-map and it will way out perform any valver

re-map?its a venturi carb

pmsl, all carbs have a venturi thats how they draw fuel in. there once was a company who sold a superchip for the r5 gtt that made me chuckle.

ive got to about 205bhp on a gtt engine, did it for less than 200notes too, stuck the engine in a mk1 clio 1.2, ran 13.9 sec sqm @102mph very good engines, you can get alot of power from the little 1397cc pushrod engine

clioturbo-1.jpg

PHS 1 172 SILVER
eather 1 is going to cause problems but the r5 is most likly to brake because turbo goes on them all the time

r5 gtt
oh dear, who told u the turbo's go all the time, your mate danny, wiv the ford orion rs turbo.
:S

Ps I maybe have a five for sale, but its a bit better than being used on the cheap, racing front.:)

172 sport/Clio 16v T
GTT Will out perform any n/a 16v and it won't cost you as much to tune!
5's are amazing to drive (as are the 16v too)

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
Ive just bought a 5 GT turbo for track days etc, Its running approx 180bhp stripped out and its alot faster than my cup, dont think it handles quite as well but its still good. Got koni adjustable shocks and spring kit. So im going to say GTT! - Be prepared to spend money tho! and as said carb set up is essential, if it runs too lean bang goes the head gasket or if your unlucky cracked liners.

Only issue with 5 turbo's is that these days it's like finding the holy grail tracking down one that hasn't been abused/neglected or ali g'd up by some council estate dwelling 'tard. You're more likely to find a tidy valver but if you can find a mint unmolested one the 5 is the car to go for IMO.

Only issue with 5 turbo's is that these days it's like finding the holy grail tracking down one that hasn't been abused/neglected or ali g'd up by some council estate dwelling 'tard. You're more likely to find a tidy valver but if you can find a mint unmolested one the 5 is the car to go for IMO.

Plenty of good ones on the RTOC. You just have to be patient.

Avoid Ebay specials and anyone who write pump value instead dump valve.

I cant tell not paying £20 or whatever it is these days just so i can browse the for sale section, lol.

When I bought mine 8/9 years ago it was a struggle then. Took me about 5/6 months of searching before a found an honest, mint, not fucked with example.

^ Aye, although the reason it was made like that was too many fucktards were pissing around and generally making the place gay.....sounds familar that!

Vw caddy tdi
david wright that mint r5 v rare in red with sticker kit still on u have my respect 4 how clean she looks like the race seats, original paint? nice referb on 13's ....

Vw caddy tdi
Just viewed the restoration pictures , my mistake didnt realise c u can scroll forwards and back nice work that 5 looks mint in red standard I WANT red one ive owned mint tungsten grey , and had a mint 30k raider also back then red 5's were comman choice hence few non faded un modded red-uns left love urs tho. Please could u advise me where did you get the side sticker kit from im thinking mite get a red ph2 and bring it back to its original glory!! one of my old raider I sold.....
7d5d_1.jpg

Thought the 5's were awful for trackdays though? For straightline speed, the Turbo; for handling, a serously fettled Valver.

Mk 1 clios are basically the same, if not the same floorplan as R5s.

However good a valver will be a R5 will be as good...with the exception perhaps of the williams wide track but for a trackday that won't matter so much.