ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver cooling fan

Toyota MR2 Turbo Rev2
Had my valver about 3 months now and decided to do a coolant change for piece of mind.

All went well, but when it came to running the engine to clear all the air, a problem ocurred! (Surprise surprise!!)

Ur meant to leave it running for about 10 mins until the fan cuts in to cool it all down again - mine didn't cut in!!

I ran it for about 15 mins waiting for the fan, then realised it wasn't cutting in, so i turned off the engine and the fan turned on!! Turned car back on, fan went off!

Shouldn't the fan come on when the engine's on?

How do i fix it?

Thanks,
James

Looking for a ph-quick...
Very strange! The fan should cut in when it needs to, ie when the water gets to a certain temperature the fan cuts in and it will stay on till the temperature comes down.

Seems like uve got a wiring issue probably earth wire or something or even the fan switch.

Twingo 133
What notch was the temp guage at? as u usually wait for it to hit that then the fan kicks in.

Purhaps it wasnt getting hot enough, i found mine took a while to get hot enough for the fan to kick in.

Toyota MR2 Turbo Rev2
the gauge was at the highest notch, just about to get the red light on!!

it was plenty hot enough cos all the water that i spilt was steaming off the radiator and when the engine was off when the fun was on, it stayed on for about 20 mins!!!

as soon as i turned on the ignition to check the temp gauge, the fan turned off again. ignition off... fan on!! lol

im thinking it could be electrics! might get a new low temp fan switch from ktec or bbpt or wherever!

do u thionk this would solve it?

i had the same problem.. check the plug that goes onto the sensor on the side of the radiator, mine had corroded, luckily i managed to fix mine.

jwarren2k2 said:
the gauge was at the highest notch, just about to get the red light on!!

That wasn't too clever mate cos you could have damaged the head gasket by letting it go that high. Should have turned it off before really.

Toyota MR2 Turbo Rev2
^^^ phew!! didnt really think of that, but then again, i was expecting the fan to cut in!!

is it the sensor on the driver's side of the radiator u mean casiodan?

Toyota MR2 Turbo Rev2
i just checked the sensor on the radiator and guess what, one of the wires has broken right at the plug!! grr!! :mad:

looks like i got to get a new plug!!

Valver
Lol I noticed the exact same thing is happening to my car was about to put a post up! But ill check the plug now ;)

Toyota MR2 Turbo Rev2
i was gona solder some new wire in, but the inside of it is green meaning its oxidised, meaning it looks like im gona have to try and rewire the whole thing!! :(