ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VAG Gearbox Conversion

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dont think it does chip, I'm sure the tt quatro sits as a 2wd tt does only it has a transfer box on it sending power backwards. So it's feasible if you can make space for it

I think of the quattro name as being the proper setup like on the RS4 etc, rather than the haldex crap, I forget that audi like to mix and match the names though, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think in this instance Allen might have been on about the haldex crap ;)

We're putting the quattro setup into my mates corrado (well he is mainly im just going to be helping out) so I think thats why I automatically think of the older proper setup when I hear the term.
Even the haldex is still better than nothing :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Matter of opinion. Wouldn't say the haldex system is great tbh only a 70-30 split I heared?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Matter of opinion. Wouldn't say the haldex system is great tbh only a 70-30 split I heared?

Its a reactive system as far as I am aware, but I dont really know a lot about it.
Assuming its like other reactive systems that I do know a lot about though it will not be a fixed torque split, it will be mainly more or less 100% to the front and then only send power backwards when it detects a slip and the amount sent back will be related to that slip.
IME that works really well for straight line use but not so good for cornering as the fact it relies on front wheel slip to determine rear wheel power means that it gives a tendancy towards understeer.

Haldex is used in the A3 and TT and the (proper) Torsen system is used in A4, A6 etc which is the full on mechanical 4wd.
Haldex as far as I know is front wheel drive until it decides it needs to send some to the rear, which can sometimes be halfway round a bend...

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
You'd definitely need a propshafts tunnel. Not to mention I bet you'd have alignment problems with the transfer box going backwards. Unless your very lucky and the shaft lines up with the centre of the car .

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Haldex works well once the electronics is out the way. It's very strong, guys I race with have good success with it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are you talking just straightline stuff though or proper driving when you say 'racing'
It works really well in a straightline like I mentioned earlier, understeer not a problem at pod. Lol. :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ohh btw my engine with the gearbox turned over yesterday so I can vouch for scoffs flywheel and my plate... So far lol

Dodgy one
You can do away with the factory managdment on it and fit a haldex controller, you can have the power wherever you want then,

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Haldex is definitely better than just fwd, with a race controller you can get upto a 50/50 split from what ive read and it also cuts in alot easier i.e: it will send power to the back wheels if you are aggressive on the throttle rather than in standard form when the front wheels start to slip. Even so my old S3 would drift roundabouts in the wet no problem, just had to get it understeering a bit then wait for the boost to kick in then the back end would come around. Simples

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Are you talking just straightline stuff though or proper driving when you say 'racing'
It works really well in a straightline like I mentioned earlier, understeer not a problem at pod. Lol. :)

I wasnt replying only to your post chip, but yes I mean to say that it can be very reliable.

It's drag racing, not drag 'racing' :)

R5GTT, 2L turbo
I should have kept this thread up to date, sorry guys.

02M 6 speed VW/Audi gearbox upgrade:

I reaslised there wasn't going to be enough interest to manufacture the kit in any kind of volume. Of the many folk that contacted me regarding carrying out a 6 speed conversion only one chap saw it through - Tom with his 172 cup. Thank you Tom ! I completed Toms car yesterday managing to re-use his uprated engine and gearbox mounts, the original battery tray and un-molested coolant hoses. Only the loom needed re-jigging to clear the gearbox nicely. I was able to install a VW clutch master cylinder to the 172's pedal box and install a reservoir in the o/s scuttle. The VW cable gear lever fits with only slight modification very nicely under the standard center console and with the gator re-installed there is no visable changes other than a new gear knob. Clutch and gear operation are as you would expect in a VW.

I took pictures of the conversion along the way which I'll try to upload at some point, but I am at least happy to confirm that the gearbox fits in the Clio 2 as well as I had hoped and as well as it does in the R5.

For those that are interested I can tell you that a drive in and drive out conversion including the cost of a billet steel 240mm flywheel, bellhousing adaptor & materials (customer to supply 02M gearbox, clutch, starter motor, 2x drive shafts, gear change mechanism and associated parts) will cost you in the order of £1800.

If you are struggling with the JC5 and are seriously contemplating the upgrade then feel free to get in touch (chris@efi-parts.co.uk) and I'll describe the ins and outs, pros and cons and so on. It's best not to PM though, I don't get on to forums as often as I'd like.

Cheers, Chris

SQ5
That £1800 include the costs for all the customer sought bits or just your work + the other bits?

R5GTT, 2L turbo
That £1800 include the costs for all the customer sought bits or just your work + the other bits?

The customer will need to supply the bits I listed Danny. £1800 includes the custom flywheel, hardware, general materials and labour.

I should have made clear also that by "drive shafts" I mean stock VW shafts.

Cheers, Chris

SQ5
Ok cool I didn't know if it was a rough price that included everything. So it's £1800 plus bits to get yourself.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Fantastic news that is all fitted to a car, looking forward to toms reviews

Would there be an option to buy the mount brackets on there own?

As that's probably what i would need looking at the pics

I'd love to be able to, but I really didn't have the time to make jigs for replication, and I don't think there would have been enough demand to make those hours worthwhile. So sadly not sorry, just bellhousing adaptors and steel 240mm flywheels available presently. If you're handy with steel and you have enough nouse to align the motor and gearbox properly then they're not hard to make :)

Cheers, Chris

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are the shafts you use chopped and joined ones that you therefore need the whole VW shaft for, or is it just the CVs you need from the customer supplied shafts to go onto new ones?

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Are the shafts you use chopped and joined ones that you therefore need the whole VW shaft for, or is it just the CVs you need from the customer supplied shafts to go onto new ones?

They're joined Chip. Although the CV's do remove from each end making the shaft re-usable in the future.

By happy coincidence the Renault shaft slides fairly snug inside the VW one making the jointing a little easier. I have a jig I made from angle steel that I use to clamp the 2 parts concentric and aligned. I do shaft alterations like this for installation of certain Renault diffs, etc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thats handy if you can use a (often considered less than ideal) technique like sleeving but it work so elegantly due to the diameter of the standard shafts lending themselves so well to it.

TBH for 1800 quid actually fitted, thats a bit of a steal, the VAG bits arent dear so even including travel to drop car off and collect etc people are only looking at about 2500 all in, or 3K ish with a decent diff then?

Might even have to consider that one myself on my turbo phase 1 if I keep it longer term and get fed up throwing standard boxes at it like I no doubt will do!

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Thanks Chip, you got it. I'm a one man band with only moderate overheads so hopefully people will agree with you and won't think it's too expensive.

I even managed to keep the 172 Cup's speedo working by installing 8 lugs on one of the inner CV cups and using a hall sensor to replace Renaults gearbox speed sensor :) It's not needed in ABS models of course.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice touch on the speedo.

Its not as simple as ABS or non ABS models though I dont think, as the Phase 1 also uses the speed sender from the box to run the clocks, but has ABS as well.

So for a phase 1 your trick with the CV would be needed as well. and because you did it on the inner CV not the outer it would mean that it wouldnt interfere with the normal ABS operation either.

Very cool :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks Chip, I did not realise they worked like this.

Renault like to keep us on our toes mate.

In fact even my reply doesnt give the whole story, as very early non cup Phase 2 172 also use the gearbox sender, my mrs has an 02 plate one and that is still on a box sender, I only know this cause when her speedo stopped working I assumed it would be the ABS sensors and then ending up having to replace the speedo drive instead.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Well, thats Renault for you :)

The speedo thing was quite interesting as it goes. For 9 turns of the wheels you get 10 turns of the speed sender. Each turn of the speed sender generates 8 pulses (open collector type thing so requires some pull-up). That means 8.8 pulses or so per turn of the wheels. Obviously not possible to have 8.8 teeth but by using 8 teeth it brings the speedo back down to reality instead of showing 10% (or whatever) high like it does in standard form. I had to warn Tom that the speed is now correct, and to beware of speed cameras !!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ha, yes thats a good way of looking at it.

From what I remember of what I saw of the rules when working for toyota, the law states that speedos must read between 100-110% of road speed.
Ie its legal for them to read upto 10% over but not legal for them to read under at all.

So manufacturers generally tend to aim at 105% of road speed, as that way it allows for tyre wear and production tolerances etc.

172 cup, Impreza P1
What's the weight difference between a standard JC5 box and the O2M VAG box?

Very tempted by this if I start Kuching boxes too.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
What's the weight difference between a standard JC5 box and the O2M VAG box?

Very tempted by this if I start Kuching boxes too.

Barely anything if your taking the whole car into consideration but it's a bit heavier than a jc5.

A lot more akward to carry aswel lol so it gives the impression of beating heavier than it is!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pretty much all car boxes are heavier than a JC5, they are weak cause there is hardly any metal in them, lol

big boost cup
Well its been very wet at home so not driven it a lot yet but did manage a couple of hard launches. IMO it feels so much better than the standard Renault box. much more precise and "tight"
the ratios suit the car so well. with the added bonus of having the sixth gear. the install looks completely OEM. the quality of Chris's work is second to none cant fault it one bit. and im over the moon that i can finaly abuse the car how i want to without the worry of the box exploding and the clutch slipping. Highly recomend the conversion by Chris.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Well its been very wet at home so not driven it a lot yet but did manage a couple of hard launches. IMO it feels so much better than the standard Renault box. much more precise and "tight"
the ratios suit the car so well. with the added bonus of having the sixth gear. the install looks completely OEM. the quality of Chris's work is second to none cant fault it one bit. and im over the moon that i can finaly abuse the car how i want to without the worry of the box exploding and the clutch slipping. Highly recomend the conversion by Chris.

Good stuff :cool:

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

Hopefully you'll be able to keep up on Morestead to Corhampton now ;)