ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

using a drill for polishing

b/g 182, meg tourer
is this wise?
i was thinking that my drill i use at work is similar to a machine polisher and i noticed that you can buy a packplate to fit in the chuck for polishing. the drill also has speed controll but obviously not a dual action. would it be safe to use this or would it not be advised and im being a complete idiot? thanks.

this is the drill

DSC02381.jpg

DSC02382.jpg

this is the kind of thing that i was thinking for a backplate

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USE-YOUR-POWE..._Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item2c577b9a2d

Audi TT 3.2 V6
The drill has no speed settings, it will just go flat out and burn through your paintwork imo.

Forget it, its a stupid idea.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
ahhhh my bad.

Bet its bloody heavy though? Would you really want to hold that for 5 hours or so while polishing?

b/g 182, meg tourer
lol, you haven't seen my arms ;)
its not stupidly heavy really, and with the handle its pretty easy to hold and keep controll of. on the slowest speed it does go very slow and quickest is very quick.

Fiesta ST-3
lol, you haven't seen my arms ;)
its not stupidly heavy really, and with the handle its pretty easy to hold and keep controll of. on the slowest speed it does go very slow and quickest is very quick.

Regardless they would still ache like fook. Have you done any machine polishing before hand?

b/g 182, meg tourer
very little. i polished my mates car using his dads rotary and thats about it. i usually get pretty good results by hand, just thought it would be handy having the option to use a machine. was also thinking of using it to remove the imperfections from my headlights.

Fiesta ST-3
very little. i polished my mates car using his dads rotary and thats about it. i usually get pretty good results by hand, just thought it would be handy having the option to use a machine. was also thinking of using it to remove the imperfections from my headlights.

Tbf i would recommend you try a D/A first. Thats just my opinion and what ive just done myself. And im struggling with it. Just a thought :)

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
have a bash at it start of on a slow speed and get used the the polish. beware of edges although people do make out they go through faster than they actually do

b/g 182, meg tourer
thanks for all of the help guys. still cant really work out if its a good idea or not. don't want to go making the paintwork worse. might just stick to my usual cleaning routine then pay someone to polish it at the start of next summer. better safe than sorry i guess.

Not a 320d
Use Blackhole, great filler and can be used under wax.....apparantly. I will be buying some. f**k swirls. Proper wash routines and good drying towels along with well maintained protection will minimise swirls. I treat my wash mitt and my drying towels better than i do my car. I polish mine once a year, though if there are no marks and only minor swirls ill just use blackhole.

b/g 182, meg tourer
cheers toby. yeah i have a good wash routine and i look after my towels, mitts, microfibres etc. might try some of this blackhole stuff then, i will look for it on i4 and cleanyourcar.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That is essentially a machine polisher.

It will be fine. Although as said, use decent pads and products and take it steady to start off with.

I use a £29.99 Rotary from ebay. Works perfectly.

Not a 320d
If you do, and it is a rotary tool with speeds of up to about 3500rpm then fine. Just keep the pad moving and dont build up too much heat, and break the polish down properly.

b/g 182, meg tourer
thanks guys. if i do go for it i will be using advice above. keeping the moving and on a fairly slow speed.

You can use that, but you are likely to incurr holograms. And I don't mean it in an offensive way, but you will.

As a lot of people have already said, stick with a DA or a filler glaze like BlackHole.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
A drill you say?

Next you'll be taking brake dust off with a scapel...

Oh...

E87 118d M Sport
(Ali, I didnt say they weren't better than a rotary. Just the drill that the topic is on about ;) )

But yeah, your right.TBF, If you wanna go and do it on the cheap, pick up a second hand rotary for sub £50 (youd have the buy the backing plate and pad regardless) and get polishing.
Just dont touch the paint with bare skin afterwards cuz you'll burn yourself.

Not a 320d
(Ali, I didnt say they weren't better than a rotary. Just the drill that the topic is on about ;) )

But yeah, your right.TBF, If you wanna go and do it on the cheap, pick up a second hand rotary for sub £50 (youd have the buy the backing plate and pad regardless) and get polishing.
Just dont touch the paint with bare skin afterwards cuz you'll burn yourself.

Seriously lol? If it gets that hot then youll have a big hole in your paintwork.

keep it moving, be aware that, if your compounding, it will want to jump and skip a bit, and will be a bit of a pig to keep hold of. Keep the pad wet with some QD.

E87 118d M Sport
That was a joke lol. Maybe I should of added a ;)

What I'm trying to say is if you think you jump into polishing a car with a drill you obviously haven't done any research.
And therefore wont understand how to polish, so will overwork paint. Its inevitable.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
For refining or polishing FG or platic cars then aye...but realitically, they are not as good as a Rotary! fact.

TBH, J, Let them, it's there car.
Some of the spelling going on there Jew...

Seriously lol? If it gets that hot then youll have a big hole in your paintwork.

keep it moving, be aware that, if your compounding, it will want to jump and skip a bit, and will be a bit of a pig to keep hold of. Keep the pad wet with some QD.

Lol at you not getting the joke.

And more lols at Gally's new avatar!