ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent Help re Alternator required:-Am stuck in Huddersfield and live in High Wycombe

Clio 172 Phase II
I have an 02 172
Hi All

I hope someone can help. My Alternator packed up today whilst driving back from Durham to home from a work meeting. My useless recovery ompnay (Green Flag) has brought me to Huddersfield where I have had to stay the night. The garage have quoted me 'around' £400 to get a new alternator and have it fitted. Is this about right? Also, I could probably get it done myself if I could get the thing home. Am considering buying a new battery, fitting it, and going for home (assuming that the weather is OK). Has anyone ever tried this and how far did you get? An AA bloke I chatted to said it was possible..

The other thing I could do is put the battery on and take it NorthWest Performance, they are about 60 miles away

Has anyone got any ideas? I am cold, tired, and struggling to get my thoughts straight about what I should do?

Cheers in anticipation
laptop and phone battery will be dead in about 4 hours! It's a nightmare....

Dom
07939 486 462

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Re: Urgent Help re Alternator required:-Am stuck in Huddersfield and live in High Wyc

I have one mate... Pm sent...

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Re: Urgent Help re Alternator required:-Am stuck in Huddersfield and live in High Wyc

If you brought this round to me I could fit it for you but would need it to be daylight to do the work...

Si

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

pm'd you a decent garage if the above doesn't happen :)

Clio 172 Phase II

Well, I could probably get it to you tomrorow if i bought a new battery. Are you around in the day? Apparnatly its quite a nasty job though?

Lionel Richie

one of my customers drove from scotland to birmingham on 2 batteries (he had a dead alternator)

if you get really stuck, call me

a new alternator is about £220ish plus no more than 3hours labour to fit

I'd suggest buying a phone charger for your phone somehow if you can so your not contactless. If your cold try and get to a services you can stay in there aslong as you want.

182Cup, MinesGTR R35

Whats the garage jenic AAS..? Thats were I get my four wheel alignment done with the proper laser alignment... Id do this tommorow bring it round mate £180 all in... If you get cheeper then fair play, I just removed my air con and fitted the new cup belt setup so this is a ball in comparison...

£40 hour plus £60 for the Alternator Should take 3 hours tops any more then i wont charge you...

I sent you my phone address details so call me or let me now as my brother borrowed my tools to fit his new disks today... So ill wizz up and get them if your coming...

Last edited:
  182Cup, MinesGTR R35

In fact if your out in the cold just come round now, im happy to put you up for the night... I wouldant want you freezing to death...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

This place is unreal.

I've honestly never been anywhere on the internet that is so friendly/helpful

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

This place is unreal.

I've honestly never been anywhere on the internet that is so friendly/helpful

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

In fact if your out in the cold just come round now, im happy to put you up for the night... I wouldant want you freezing to death...

Because you wouldn't get your money if he died lol.

A little local garage in halifax called pearsons, get bits done there when i need and he's well priced and knows his onions. He gets really busy though but he's fit me in at the last minute before, infact he did it after work once to get me going!

182Cup, MinesGTR R35

Because you wouldn't get your money if he died lol.

A little local garage in halifax called pearsons, get bits done there when i need and he's well priced and knows his onions. He gets really busy though but he's fit me in at the last minute before, infact he did it after work once to get me going!

Lol money id do it for nothing if i could but I have things to do and £180 is cheep for 3hours work and an alternator thats only coverd 47k... I know it works asweel as its only just come out of my car...
Id be pist if I was stranded out in a car thats dead... If you need four wheel laser alignment the proper ones that sit on the edge of your rim then AAS in Halifax is very cheep think its £30 £35 cant remember what he charges now but its somewere in that reagion...

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Lol money id do it for nothing if i could but I have things to do and £180 is cheep for 3hours work and an alternator thats only coverd 47k... I know it works asweel as its only just come out of my car...
Id be pist if I was stranded out in a car thats dead... If you need four wheel laser alignment the proper ones that sit on the edge of your rim then AAS in Halifax is very cheep think its £30 £35 cant remember what he charges now but its somewere in that reagion...

Haha, i was only joking ;)

If you want decent alignment, allcar in huddersfield have a hawker system which they will do it on for £45 all in. I dont like them laser things they hook on your wheels like your describing, never seem to get it right.

182Cup, MinesGTR R35

Haha, i was only joking ;)

If you want decent alignment, allcar in huddersfield have a hawker system which they will do it on for £45 all in. I dont like them laser things they hook on your wheels like your describing, never seem to get it right.

I now, lolz... Had both my clio sports done from there and every time its been spot on from AAS...