ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

urgent data recovery from failed hard disk

got a failed maxtor diamond max 10 160gb sata drive
it refuses to boot and clicks we need to recover the data off it

who have you used in the past to recover disks ??

just tried ontrack they said

emergency
q(Ontrack work 24/7 to recover the data)
£350+VAT=£411.25
£1,500-£3,500+VAT
Express*
q(Diagnosis turn time is 2 to 3 days including Saturdays)
£95+VAT=£111.63
£700-£1,800+VAT
q[ Standard Service*
q(Diagnosis turn time is 5 working days)
£75+VAT=£88.13
£495-£995+VAT

now we shall see how much he really wants this data back lol

172 Cup SOLD
Sounds like the OS is dead, you tried running it off the back of another hard disc that boots to Windows fine?

Check disk should run before the OS boots and check the disk for errors, then when in Window's browse to it as you would any disc using Explorer

EDIT: Just read that it clicks.....don't sound too good

no no its fucked not just a nackered mbr or fat that would be far to easy to sort

its not our disk its our old MD's it has all his new company information on it etc etc we told him to back up lol

We had a load of Maxtor 40Gbs in our servers at work, which has a known issue whereby if they'd overheated it lost the boot-up info. Anyway, one of them wasn't fully backed up and so we sent it off for data recovery with Data Recovery Direct, thinking it would be easy as it's a known issue and it said on their website it could be recovered. We paid for a 3-4 day turnaround. A month later after numerous contacts with them they told us they couldn't recover it!

Not sure if that helps you but hey.

well i know not to use them then lol

i phoned one company they said you will never get anything off it i said you will if you take teh platters out and he said no one has the technology to do that i had to put him right lol

Clio 172 Mk2
to be honest mate if its clicking then the hard disk is probably totally nackered and i doubt theres many people that will be able to recover it for you. The clicking is usually a sign that the platter assembly is f**ked, if you find someone that says they can recover it make sure you pay them after!! lol

Recaro'd 182
mine did this did you download a microsoft update prior to it crashing? Luckily i am backed up so resolved the problem but i swear microsoft are sending corrupt updates out!!!!!!!!!

Recaro'd 182
my hard disk was fien btw, windows was just corrupt.
try connecting it as a slave on another computer to recover my documents or whatever you are after.

Windows update just recked the boot files on mine

to be honest mate if its clicking then the hard disk is probably totally nackered and i doubt theres many people that will be able to recover it for you. The clicking is usually a sign that the platter assembly is f**ked, if you find someone that says they can recover it make sure you pay them after!! lol

ontrack can read the magnetic signatures with the platters removed etc just like the police do when they are searching for dodgy stuff ;)

also they only charge 75+vat for the drive inspection to produce the list of recoverable files

they have been doing it over 20 years now they used to ship their hard disk manager software with western digital disks way back in the day when LBA was an issue

Clio 172 Mk2
lol if the hard drives clicking its naff all to do with boot sectors or corrupt data its a mechanical issue

Clio 172 Mk2
thats not too bad then mate!! take it the data is really important? how much do they charge to recover after inspection?

thats not too bad then mate!! take it the data is really important? how much do they charge to recover after inspection?

emergency
q(Ontrack work 24/7 to recover the data)
£350+VAT=£411.25
£1,500-£3,500+VAT
Express*
q(Diagnosis turn time is 2 to 3 days including Saturdays)
£95+VAT=£111.63
£700-£1,800+VAT
q[ Standard Service*
q(Diagnosis turn time is 5 working days)
£75+VAT=£88.13
£495-£995+VAT

1 Series Coupe
At work, we had a harddrive that wouldnt boot and was clicking, and the user really needed the files that were on it! ( apparently they don't trust our server! )

A colleague of mine, took the cover off the disc, as this is what makes it click. We managed to get it to boot and get the data off the harddrive, which we was quite please with. I didn't think this was safe to do it, but apparently you can do it!

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
most companies give you a free report and diagnosis. i have 2 hard drives done, bothe reports were free.

Revels Mum & Sister
Stick it in the freezer for an hour, then give it a try.

You do know that really cold temperatures can kill magenticly stored data ?

Maybe just like you might get cancer from eating too much read meat. But this does work for long enough to get dataof sometimes.

Make sure you seal it a few times in a bag to try and stop condensation.