ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent, car cut out and will not restart

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Hello all,

ph2 172

when driving my abs light airbag light and serv light all illuminated.

i pulled over and switched off. Trying to restart and all I am getting is a rapid clicking and lots of lights flashing!

quick scan with a cheap code reader and only code is a lambda issue which had been there a while.

any ideas guys?

also tried bump starting and it would go but not really any power and cut out again

Clio Cup
check power , check charge rate , check earth .......... defo a power/earthing issue............. if it has a alternator belt still fitted and not dropped off , but should still start on a good battery

AB 182-GTI-6-205 GTI
I'd say either a lose or broken connection on the battery, or the battery itself. Have you got another battery to swap onto it to test?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I have had to leave the car parked up for the night.

i will go back to it tomorrow and call out my breakdown rescue.

unfortunatley I don't have the time tomorrow to check all these things so will let them do what I'm paying them for.

any other ideas that I should point out to the recovery guy?

BG Clio 182/RR Sport
He will check battery first, sure he will find a cream crackered alt!! if you want to get it going turn all the toys off inside, lights heater etc.....he can get you on the jump leads then!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
rapid clicking i woild say is an earth fault. my gearbox to chasis earth and something behind the dash sent the electrics mad and the relays all spazzed out making a rapid clicking noise.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
rapid clicking i woild say is an earth fault. my gearbox to chasis earth and something behind the dash sent the electrics mad and the relays all spazzed out making a rapid clicking noise.

Yeah all the lights went mad, flashing the full beam radio backlight just about everything!

Clio Cup
if you want to get it going turn all the toys off inside, lights heater etc.....he can get you on the jump leads then!

Was always taught that if your jump starting something put all the power consumers on - so you dont spike the engine ECU and cook it spectacularly - the power from the alternator on the supply car/jump pack should be sufficient to overcome the flatness

Still think its an earth fault though

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Was always taught that if your jump starting something put all the power consumers on - so you dont spike the engine ECU and cook it spectacularly - the power from the alternator on the supply car/jump pack should be sufficient to overcome the flatness

Still think its an earth fault though

ah conflict, can anyone confirm?

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Morning :) Check the obvious first, battery voltage, connections etc. Does sounds like you lost electrical power for some reason. If you connect another car to it, & it runs.... u have a possible charging/battery issue.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Man this just gets better and better.

recovery company called and booked for within an hour, great!

getting ready to head back over to the car and realise I have left my house keys in it, girlfriend away to work and has double locked the door! Locked in my home!!!

anyway, taxi with keys coming to let me out and take me over to the car.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Right,

car started first time with a booster connected. I have driven circa 25 miles since and no fault showing. According to the rescue guy the alternator is doing its job.

any ideas what I should do next? Hopefully it will start again.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
I had clock flicking rapidly when my battery was on its way out. Replaced the battery and it was perfect afterwards. Sounds related!