ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

***Urgent - Big Problem, Please Read***

Coupe/Defender V8
Sorry about the urgent thread title, I need to have an idea about what this could be and reasons before I take it to the garage tomorrow.

About a month and a half ago, my gearbox bearings went after the engine mount fell apart causing excess vibration etc. I had to get a recon gearbox and clutch changed, which I paid for.
The garage that did the work though told me they were taking the engine out above the car, rather than taking it out underneath to save taking suspension off etc.

I got the car back and the gearbox was fine but the engine sounded quite tappy which was unusual. Either way, they said the car was fine so I carried on driving it.

About 3 weeks after the gearbox, the tapping was worrying me so I decided to book the car in for a service and oil change.
They changed the oil and the car came back still as tappy which I didn't think was right. I asked the mechanic who did the work why it was so tappy, and he replied that it sounded normal and all ok.

Today I was driving the car (about a month and a half later) through town at around 20mph as I was following traffic. Suddenly the car sounded like a tractor and I instantly pulled in and cut the engine off. At first I thought the exhaust had fallen off or something like that, so I called my friend who informed me that it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders, and could be a spark plug. He suggested calling the AA, which I did.

The AA came out and looked under the bonnet and he could see after he took the engine cover off that the plug wasn't in right. It looked like it had been pushed out.

I took it to my local garage (towed) that did the work on the gearbox and it will be looked at tomorrow.

I have included some pictures of the plug.

My question is, do you think the cambelt has skipped some teeth and the valve has hit the plug and bent it? If so, do you think it could have been like this for a while and this is what the tapping noise was? It got louder yesterday before this actually happened?

If this has been happening over a period of time, would it be possible that when they changed the gearbox, they could have knocked the timing out and caused this problem?

The cambelt was changed in late 05 and the car has only done minimal mileage since. I know it's due a cambelt mid next year, but I was actually looking at booking it in soon anyway.

I appreciate that this maybe and probably will be bad news, but please break it to me anyway. If they have buggered it up after changing the gearbox, I will look at putting a claim in with the company for not doing the work right.

Thanks,

Mike.

Pics: -

Picture001.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture003.jpg

172 cup & 182
Looks like something has at some point made it's way into the cylinder and given the plug a good old hammering.
Head will have to come off to see what other damage has been done.
Would be nice to be there when the head comes off just to check it's not something they dropped in while the engine was out.

172 cup
hmm bit odd id start by using a fresh set of ngk typr r plugs what plugs are those your using? it does look like it has been disturbed have you every had a cambelt done???

Matty

2005 Nissan Navara
Yeah thats been hitting something, which has obviously weakened the threads and made it blow out. Plugs blowing out isnt uncommon, but that damage to the tip suggests something more untoward.

Just to clarify, it wasnt tapping before they removed the engine, but was afterwards?

Coupe/Defender V8
Hi matt, cambelt was done mid/end of 2005 so is due one next year. Mileage is not that much since the last one either.

Plugs being used are bosch super 4's which were changed last year and no problem with them until the tapping started after the gearbox.

172 cup
ditch the bosh plugs dude there bob just try a set of ngks ive tried them bosh ones and melted one of them there hopeless whilst its in the garage get them to stick a bore scope inside and have a look just to check nothing is in there still

Matty

Coupe/Defender V8
I'll order some new plugs later on tonight. It's funny you say about the plugs as I thought it looked a tad melted. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  Coupe/Defender V8
Had a word with K-tec, 2300+ VAT give or take for a low mileage 172/182 engine with fast road cams and remap.

If the new plugs don't work, I may go down that route :/

*waves goodbye to moneys* :(

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Ouch, some thing didn't go to plan there!

Worst case situation just hunt the scrap yards for a low milage 172 block, have seen good ones go for under £500

James

Lionel Richie
you've got the wrong plugs in there for starters

2nd hand engine can be supplied and fitted for around £1K with new belts etc, but i'd try new (correct) plugs first, i've had a lot recently with failed plugs, and some of them have sounded bizzare! its not uncommon for them to blow a plug out of no 3, not a major issue and not bad to fix

Coupe/Defender V8
Well tried some cheap and cheerfuls just for a test and it works!

Needs a new lead so i'm going to change all of them. The plugs were all pretty loose. I had a mount go previously which would of shaken them, which should of been checked by the garage. Big mistake taking it there.

I'm going to get the ngks now online. Can anyone suggest some decent leads?

Thanks for all your feedback.

P.S and yes, the tapping has now gone completely, the car sounds good as new

Cheers :D

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
nice one Fred..... the number of people who dont torque plugs is unbelieveable

the tightness can affect the heat dispacment and this slightly effect plug cooling...

also makes sure you get a good earth and a good seal

Andy

Coupe/Defender V8
Mine decided to throw out at 20, which is maybe why I got off lightly. It seems fine now. I'll take it out for a run when I have the leads and plugs.

Ta