ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading 182 Speakers

BMW 320d SE
I'm tempted to upgrade the speakers in my new 182, as they sound like they're struggling to cope at high volumes. Is it worth doing this first, or changing the head unit first?
Also, what size speakers front and rear will I need, and does anyone have any recommendations on makes and models?
Cheers.

05 1.2 Dynamique
I'd upgrade the whole lot personally, if you only do the speakers you won't be doing much better because it's the amp thats struggling with high volumes, if you do the head unit you're liable to blow the speakers, might be worth doing the speakers first though because then when you do put the head unit in it'll have worthy speakers

Clown Car
I upgraded all of my speakers with Infinity Kappa 52.7i 13cm co-ax, got them brand new from a trader on ebay for £60 a pair, much better sound quality and clarity, definately worth doing.

The speakers are not that deep and fit into the front speaker panel no problem, the only snag is where to locate the crossover box for the front speakers, i took off the door panels and used those sticky velcro tabs to secure the crossovers to the inside of the door panel so the door glass would not hit them or get wet.

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
Upgrading the speakers will mean they will play clearer at higher volumes and should be a bit better quality.

Upgrade the HU and you will notice a lot better sound quality due to the higher rated internal amp than the Renault unit.

If you have to do one, then do the speakers. If you can afford to, get them both done and you will see a big improvement in clarity and sound quality.

Be aware that the mounting for the rear speakers is a little flimsy!

I installed Kappa components up front and a pair of Infinity Reference 6"x9"s on a stealth shelf all powered by an Alpine CDE-9850Ri and it sounds very nice!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
i need some 13cm inifinitys for front door! who wants to sell me some?!