ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unknown force...

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I have a little problem.

Every time I come off and on the throttle in a reasonably hard way the torque is pushing the steering out. Feels like I have worn engine mounts. However, these have all been replaced by Renault them selves, all three.

All my suspension/steering is brand new bar the rack its self. Every ball joint, track rod, bushing, damper, spring has been replaced.

Its not torque steer, something is physically pushing on the drivers side of the car.

I have a duff drive shaft that's klunking on the drivers side which is being replaced soon. But I would be keen to find out what could be creating this physical force that I can feel through the steering (and that changes the direction of the car slightly)

My box is a bit worn, and I am wandering if the diff is floating around pushing the shaft which is then forcing the geometry change. Is this even possible? diff bearings?

ph1 172.

Lotus Elise
Lower are bushes are worth a proper good look over as are wheel bearings. I'd have check of the front and rear bushes as well as callipers for binding or sticking.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Rack bushes, wishbones and wheel bearings (skf) all done less than a month ago.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Checked on a weekly basis (seriously I am that sad).

It feels like its drive train.. as the torque twists the engine it pushes something and forces the car to steer. Its hard to explain and impossible to film.

BG 182 FF
I have a similar problem so am interested in the causes. My car feels like it's being physically pushed or pulled to the side.

It happens when the suspension dives coming off the accelerator or braking and i'm slowly replacing components trying to fix it. I once drove a car with a loose balljoint and to me it feels like that but i've replaced them and it's still the same.

Lotus Elise
Checked on a weekly basis (seriously I am that sad).

It feels like its drive train.. as the torque twists the engine it pushes something and forces the car to steer. Its hard to explain and impossible to film.

Are all the dampers ok I know they where replaced but are all 4 working properly?

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
yeah, they are brand new Koni Yellows with sportlines. All dampers are working as they should. Been pissing around with the damping control seeing what was what. They are working spot on.

Only thing that is not new is the actual rack itself, that and the hubs.

Lotus Elise
Are they adjustable? If so are they set correctly? I'm running out of ideas with suspension components lol.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I know, me too. Hence asking these questions on here.

Only other thing I can think of that I have not checked is the subframe. Could possibly be moving around? The thing that stumps me though is that it is 100% torque related.

And in terms of of damper adjustments, They are all wound down to softest