ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3

RB Clio 182
I've had the rs3s fitted on all four wheels today and up to press I am very very impressed!

I obviously havnt had enough time to test them properly yet, but so far in this wet weather they grip like a tramp holding on to a fiver!

I havnt been this impressed with a tyre on initial thought in a long time.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Been giving mine abit of stick around the lanes today and those RS3's are gripping hell of a lot better than my rs2's

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Ordered two of these today for £115 delivered from Camskill
EE6F5F35-B739-4CB9-A495-D4D70352265C-4162-000003F0357E7A0A_zpsbc8aea18.jpg

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I've tried 2s on a Trophy and 3s on my Integra and have generally been an advocate for Rainsports.
However, on the Integra the unbelieveably soft sidewalls have compromised the most important element of feel for me - steering feedback.
Also, I got through the fronts in 3,000 miles A/B road use in the Integra (may just be the nature of that car).
I will therefore use Bridgestone RE002 for the Integra later this year and for anyone looking for an alternative to Rainsports, consider Vredestein Sportrac 5.
Apparently, they offer very good wet grip but a much stiffer sidewall and construction.

what tyre pressure should i put in these? i'm finding in this heat the sidewalls are way to soft, cooler temperature and the grip is pretty good considering how much they cost.

i'll check my psi tomorrow see what i've got.

i've not really pushed hard with these rs3 as the sidewalls are just so soft i don't really want to destroy them, only covered about 300 miles with them.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Had Rainsport 3's fitted for just over a week now and clocked up about 250 miles . Coming from Rainsport 2's , which i was massively impressed with , especially in the wet , I'm just as impressed with the Rainsport 3's in both the wet and dry .

ph2 172
Do you guys find that the car moves around under heavy braking and fast driving through corners. I've only had the tyres on for 30mile running 33psi front 30psi rear. Tempted to up the pressure a bit.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Do you guys find that the car moves around under heavy braking and fast driving through corners. I've only had the tyres on for 30mile running 33psi front 30psi rear. Tempted to up the pressure a bit.

It definitely doesn't move around under hard braking , there maybe some slight flex in the tyre wall when cornering fast , but I'd come from Rainsport 2's which when i had fitted the first time was definitely more noticeable after Michelin PE2's . You sort of get used to it after a while . What tyres did you have previously ? I did run the Rainsport 2's at about 35 psi . When i told the tyre fitter , who's been running his business for 50 years , so he has quite a bit of knowledge i reckon , he advised me not to as it'll affect the wear rate on the centre of the tyre , so I'm gonna run them at 32 psi for now and see how it goes .
Everybodys different though , we all have different driving styles . So what's good for one isn't always good for another . Give yours a few more miles until you get used the different feel . I forgot to say , mine are only on the front . I still have PE2's on the rear .

ph2 172
It definitely doesn't move around under hard braking , there maybe some slight flex in the tyre wall when cornering fast , but I'd come from Rainsport 2's which when i had fitted the first time was definitely more noticeable after Michelin PE2's . You sort of get used to it after a while . What tyres did you have previously ? I did run the Rainsport 2's at about 35 psi . When i told the tyre fitter , who's been running his business for 50 years , so he has quite a bit of knowledge i reckon , he advised me not to as it'll affect the wear rate on the centre of the tyre , so I'm gonna run them at 32 psi for now and see how it goes .
Everybodys different though , we all have different driving styles . So what's good for one isn't always good for another . Give yours a few more miles until you get used the different feel . I forgot to say , mine are only on the front . I still have PE2's on the rear .

I had t1r's all round previously, not exactly hard sidewalls too. I run -1.5degrees of camber upfront with a small amount of toe out standard at the rear, cup dampers with prolines. I plan on going for a blast tomorrow down some B roads.
The car currently feels like I do the steering then half a second later it reacts.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mines standard suspension all round . Like i said before , just give it a few miles and see how it feels , maybe have a play about upping the pressure slightly . I think Rainsports are a bit Marmite , some love em some hate em . Personally i think they're a very good tyre , especially in the wet and through standing water .

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I had two of these fitted on the front of mine about 3 weeks ago. They are quite squirmy in the dry. Seem to have a lot of tread movement. Good progressive grip though.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I reckon these are best at about 6mm of tread - the tread blocks are quite tall which causes a 'bit' of lean, once properly scrubbed in, they are awesome!

ph2 172
Bedded these tyres in now, totally different tyre, it still has noticeable flex but it's controllable, it feels like it's about to go sideways but continues to grip as the weight shifts, strange feeling. Had a few fast drives in the wet and dry now, no one could keep up in either out of my friends cars, mind you they were tuned diesels.

100% a better tyre than t1r, once bedded in and get used to the flexing

FF Racing Blue 182
Old thread bump.

Is anyone running these still and are they better than the 2s. I've bought some alloys with four brand new ones fitted.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Old thread bump.

Is anyone running these still and are they better than the 2s. I've bought some alloys with four brand new ones fitted.
I'm on my 2nd set of RS3s, had them on for 2 weeks now This weather they really do perform well. I can't honestly say they're massively better than the RS2s though. I got mine from tyre leader, £122 delivered.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Old thread bump.

They're not as good as PS3's but the price reflects that.

They seem to spin up easier in the wet than PS3's too. They do roll over too easily though in 195/15/50

I run them for wets on track and did a good few road miles on them too and have no complaints other than being a bit soft in the sideall for hardcore track use as it dries.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'd say they're as capable, but i've seen folk say similar! The tread pattern is weirdly satisfying lol.

I've never tried them personally so that's just from what I've read. Even so, I really rated the 2's so wouldn't hesitate in getting the 3's.

Clio II 172 RS Ph1
I had them on my Seat Leon 20VT (261BHP) and was very happy with them. Very good in the wet! The sidewalls are a bit soft, which doesnt need to be a problem (I liked it). There isnt much of a rim protector though (at least not in the size I was running them (225/40/18)).

13445642304_cb8edb899e_b.jpg
Uniroyal Rainsport 3 thread by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

13445641984_b5f813a278_b.jpg
Uniroyal Rainsport 3 thread design by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

13445641494_a7bd3bebc2_b.jpg
Uniroyal Rainsport 3 Channel closeup by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

13445641184_3bfbcc224f_b.jpg
Uniroyal Rainsport 3 Label by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

13445272855_60c8874770_b.jpg
Uniroyal Rainsport 3 Thread depth by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 rim protector
13891405533_e64b02ec17_b.jpg
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 Rim Protector by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

RS3 rim protector
13891342075_59755d9003_b.jpg
Uniroyal Rainsport 3 Rim Protector by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

BMW 320d SE
I had the RS2 and RS3 on my old Focus. I thought the 2s were fantastic in the wet but strangely wafty in the dry. The big downside was the noise as they wear down. Sounded like a wheel bearing had gone! The 3s are better in every respect. Much better with noise, but only marginally better in the wet. I've not tried the Uniroyals on the Clio, but I would have thought compared to PS3s, they would be too soft and vague in the dry for the 172/182s and would detract from the precise steering and handling feel that the Clios are so well known for.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
i don't go to fast in the wet as the roads up here can easily catch you out, i would prefer better dry grip on the road, so would i be best with the PS3's? im thinking on 205/45/16

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Personally i think they're a brilliant tyre in the wet and dry . I'm on my 2nd set of RS3's and dry grip has never been an issue for me when pushing on . They are quite a soft tyre and there is a noticeable difference in the feel of them when you first fit them , but you soon get used to them . You'll always get some people who love them and some who hate them, same with all tyres really . Take Toyos for instance , some people love them some people call them ditch finders. The only way you'll ever really know is to buy some and try them for yourself and form your own opinion.