ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uneven tyre wear

FF BG 182
Hi guys had a little search on the forum and couldn't find anything similar so I'm hoping I'm not wasting anyone's time!

I'm running Bridgestone turanzas all round on my ff 182 at the moment (205/45/16/83w on turinis) At the front on booth sides, the outer and inner of the tyre is almost bald whilst the central 3/4 is still 1 or 2 mm off the wear markers.

The car is lowered 30 or 40 mm on sport lines and standard shocks.

I would have thought if the issue was tracking it would have either be the outer or inner edge if the tyre, not both.

The car does have the horrible scrubbing on full lock but from what I have read this is normal... Could the uneven tyre wear be due to the scrubbing on full lock? If so would it be possible to stretch on 195 instead of 205 to reduce the tyre width and overcome the problem?

Either way I need new tyres and wondered if there was a fault or if it's just normal for a lowered 182? Or I'm just being very dumb!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365518285.470212.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365518309.100076.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality photos!

FF BG 182
I generally try to run around 32 psi all round, never really know what the correct pressures should be?

FF BG 182
Also would it be safe/easy to fit 195 tyres to 205 alloys? I'm pretty sure it's what I used to run on my mk2 golf but really can't remember? Fact is the seem to be around half the price for a decent brand tyre!

WRX
As Mark suggested, that normally is tyre pressure related wear but I would guess if you're on 32psi which is fine, that's not the case. I would say it's the scrubbing. 195s are fine.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Also, I've noticed that some tyres have shallower depths for certain parts of the tread.

Looking at the main central section on yours they've worn very evenly...could it just be that the tread on the shoulders of your tyres was shallower to begin with?

Edit: looking really closely at your pics, I don't think you have a problem. I think that wear is based on the tyre tread depths.

FF BG 182
As Mark suggested, that normally is tyre pressure related wear but I would guess if you're on 32psi which is fine, that's not the case. I would say it's the scrubbing. 195s are fine.

That's good news, the equivalent 205 tyre is about £120 compared to £70 in 195. There will be a difference front to back but I'm sure it will be fine as long as each corner isn't different

FF BG 182
Also, I've noticed that some tyres have shallower depths for certain parts of the tread.

Looking at the main central section on yours they've worn very evenly...could it just be that the tread on the shoulders of your tyres was shallower to begin with?

Edit: looking really closely at your pics, I don't think you have a problem. I think that wear is based on the tyre tread depths.

Yeah that sounds about right, both sides are worn evenly in comparison to each other so if there was a problem then surely it would be on both sides, quite unlikely really I guess. When I order some new 195 tyres I'll get the geometry checked just in case.

Thanks guys for all the advice though, really appreciate it!

Clio 182
You need to get your Alignment checked aswell.
We have a hunter alignment ramp where i work, all you do it put the car reg in and year etc... and it pops up with the correct tollerances for caster, camber and toe. Then a gauge is placed on each wheel and infra red signals are sent to the machine.
It is accurate to 1 minute to a degree, so extremely precise. (You have 60 minutes in a degree).
Not just used for setting standard angles/degrees but you can get them to adjust it for you as you wish i.e make the camber wider on each side on back etc.... the machine even tells you how to adjust them :)

Apart from that yeah check your tyre pressures.

BMW 330cd
I have the same problem on my 172 with 195 tyres, my tyre pressure is spot on as it says in the manual. Also had the wheel alignment checked twice by two different garages.. So the only thing i can put it down to is track rod ends or something along them lines.