ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

#Under 8

Megane r26
I find it hard to believe they never sold all the Uk R26r's. Myself and a few others witnessed the very last R26r being assembled in Dieppe a few years back. With out really taking much notice at the time, there was a middle aged chap following our group around with his young boy. When the Reno technicians showed us the last two cars and their associated production numbers being fitted with the rollcages and exhaust, he piped up and said the last one was his. All of us including the technicians looked at each other and I suppose thought "yeah, what ever". He then got the receipt and production details out of his pocket from the uk and duly proved it was. Everyone was surprised including the reno guys! Its just goes to prove that there are many folk out there that want something with a limited number regardless of make, model, spec or price. It will be piss easy to shift 30 of these imo.

I can't remember where I read about them not selling all the r26r's maybe EVO?

I can't imagine them struggling to sell 30 of these, especially with all the hype surrounding manufactures "Ring" times recently.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
What is it with the RS department are they trying to kill the marque off??

They cannot shift the RS clios in any numbers, must be looking at Ford & thinking whoops got that decision wrong.

The meg is a good car but £30k - 40k + seriously.

They never produced the full production run of r26r as sales were dire, bonus for some including my mate r26r Stv

Nissan 350z
Some French interview but includes some shots of the cars. Nice to see the Brembo's making a sly return to the Trophy after they got removed during the 265 facelift.

Last edited by a moderator:

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks like a great car and to set that time is impressive in those conditions.

You're almost right, they dropped the grooved/drilled posh discs and went with poverty spec plain discs instead!

The drilled discs always crack so changing to plain discs is better.

Nissan 350z
Seems very positive overall. Any news on the uptake of the -R's yet? from reading the topic on PH it seems a couple of people have left deposits already!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Of the extra £7,500 the 'R' costs we know £2,000 of that is for the suspension.

So for the remaining £5,500 you get Cup tyres, different wheels, and some weight saving.

WTF am I missing? Or do I just not get it?

- 19" turini in black
- Dampers
- Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres
- Recaro pole positions
- Rear strut brace & luggage net
- Limited to 30 units for the UK

Nurburgring pack adds:
Lithium ion battery
6-point harnesses (sabelt)
Performance brake pack
4 spare wheel covers

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
What your missing is the fact that even though there are subtle differences, as a limited production run car, it still has to be tested and developed to work correctly straight out the box. Take into account these cars are took off what is a quite small production line in Dieppe and individually worked on in a side room. Also take the wheels for instance. If they are specific for that car, the the R&D using Renault Sports engineers must cost a fortune. If it was for a model that was running into the 1000's for a production run that cost will be diluted and lost. Some car prices aren't justified by the sum of the parts on them but how they are put together or how rare they become.
Whether the above is the reason for the price doesnt really matter. Why the feck should Reno offer a bargain? If you want bang for buck get the Aldi equivilent, the clio RS or bog standard Megane RS. If you want the M&S or Waitrose branding, then get the R. Simples

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I really am missing something if people are prepared to pay £5,500 for that.

It's the most focused Megane you can buy Mark. The ultimate Megane. That in its self commands a premium.

Lots of manufacturers do it. Look at Porsche with their GT3. They remove lots of bits, make it lighter, charge 20-30k more for it. Yes I know Porsche are completely different to Renault, but there aren't any other manufacturers out there at the moment offering such a track focused hot hatch.

By focused I mean offering fully adjustable suspension, 6 point harnesses, litium-ion battery, fixed bucket seats etc. Not to mention the bragging rights of it being the quickest FWD production vehicle around the Nordschleife; Yes this doesn't matter to the majority of the Pistonhead generation, but it does carry some kudos and is an incredible achievement in its self.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What your missing is the fact that even though there are subtle differences, as a limited production run car, it still has to be tested and developed to work correctly straight out the box. Take into account these cars are took off what is a quite small production line in Dieppe and individually worked on in a side room. Also take the wheels for instance. If they are specific for that car, the the R&D using Renault Sports engineers must cost a fortune. If it was for a model that was running into the 1000's for a production run that cost will be diluted and lost. Some car prices aren't justified by the sum of the parts on them but how they are put together or how rare they become.

Don't get me wrong, I understand economies of scale etc. and know that there's a massive increase in cost for small volumes...

But, £x gets you a Megane 275 Trophy.

£x + £2,000 gets you a Megane 275 Trophy with Ohlins suspension.

£5,500 ON TOP of that gets you;

Different style wheels
Different tyres
A rear strut brace and luggage net.

As a consumer that is confusing at best and a massive premium for some exclusivity.

Edit: I appreciate what it is Luke, as a track car I think it's to be applauded...but as a car brought to market it makes no sense! It's not really been brought to market anyway as 30 units is no volume at all...as a marketing excerise it has excelled!

I predict some pi**ed off Trophy-R consumers in future when Renault release another 75 or so units.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Don't get me wrong, I understand economies of scale etc. and know that there's a massive increase in cost for small volumes...

Different style wheels
Different tyres

As a consumer that is confusing at best and a massive premium for some exclusivity.

Edit: I appreciate what it is Luke, as a track car I think it's to be applauded...but as a car brought to market it makes no sense! It's not really been brought to market anyway as 30 units is no volume at all...as a marketing excerise it has excelled!

I predict some pi**ed off Trophy-R consumers in future when Renault release another 75 or so units.

That won't be the case - All production has been allocated to each country. Production stops in March 2015 and the production line begins tooling up for the New Megane AFAIK. This is the Megane's final farewell.

EDIT: To add, yes it is a marketing excersise to a degree, but it's also to prove that we're still the best at this stuff. It's Renault's fun factor that has always made me. No other manufacturer does it like Renault. i.e. R5 turbo 2, Clio V6, R26.R, Trophy-R.

We've got our volume products like Clio and Captur but it's good to see we can still have a bit of fun with products as well.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172

Different style wheels
Different tyres

So you have answered your own question really. Your paying for a different wheel and tyre package, a rear strut brace, a luggage net, a few months extra R&D on and off track, half a day or more final fettling at Dieppe at say €150/hr x 2 and the exclusivitly of the car.

Just a query. Are the Ohlins from the boggo 275 Trophy infact the same as the R?? I personally doubt it because if you removed 100kg from a boggo car it will instantly sit higher with damping and spring rates needing fine adjustment. Again something Reno is going to charge you for and not just give you.

Last edited:

baysthebest

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172/172Cup/182

Different style wheels
Different tyres

i am am sure they won't have much problem selling the 30 available and I'm sure these cars will attract a far greater premium over a Megane Trophy in 3 years time.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's the most focused Megane you can buy Mark. The ultimate Megane. That in its self commands a premium.

Lots of manufacturers do it. Look at Porsche with their GT3. They remove lots of bits, make it lighter, charge 20-30k more for it. Yes I know Porsche are completely different to Renault, but there aren't any other manufacturers out there at the moment offering such a track focused hot hatch.

By focused I mean offering fully adjustable suspension, 6 point harnesses, litium-ion battery, fixed bucket seats etc. Not to mention the bragging rights of it being the quickest FWD production vehicle around the Nordschleife; Yes this doesn't matter to the majority of the Pistonhead generation, but it does carry some kudos and is an incredible achievement in its self.
Porsche also add fully adjustable everything on the suspension (not just the dampers) and proper trick stuff like titanium con rods though as well tbf.
If you take all that into account the extra £5.5k that Renault charge isn't all that horrendous imo either. You also join a very exclusive club when you buy one of these limited run specials. It's like buying something ford with an Rs badge - people just seem to go mad for them.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I thought harnesses and bucket seats (without a roll cage) were dangerous?

Other way around mainly. Standard seats and belts mean you can smack your head on the cage which is a lot harder to do when locked into a 'proper' seat.

However mounting the belts at a low angle can cause a spinal compression in a crash as the belts pull down as well as restraining.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Other way around mainly. Standard seats and belts mean you can smack your head on the cage which is a lot harder to do when locked into a 'proper' seat.

However mounting the belts at a low angle can cause a spinal compression in a crash as the belts pull down as well as restraining.

I should have said in the event of rolling a car with bucket seats, harnesses and no cage.

Most people unfortunately have no clue how much it costs to develop a car and sell it to the public. It's a little bit more involved than bidding for some dampers on eBay.

As an aside, I'm willing to bet a hundred trillion dollars that no one will be able to buy it in the exact same spec as the ring car, and even if they could, I sincerely doubt they would be able to achieve the target time. Especially on the way to work.