ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

unbearably squeaky brakes

TT 225+
my car has recently developed a nails down the blackboard style of squeak on the breaks, i had them on new last summer so they can't be worn out. I was just wondering if there was any way to stop them squeaking other than replacing them? Thanks

I'm no mechanic - but maybe copper slip (others' call it copper grease) on the back of the pads? (i.e. on the back of the metal backing plate, against the caliper/piston. Just be sure not to get any on the friction material or discs.) You can get it from Halfords and the like. It prevents the vibration that causes the squealing.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
cheers dude. maybe also an excuse to upgrade the pads? why would it also squeal when off the brakes but just turning in?

172 cup, Impreza P1
The squealing will more than likely be a lip that has formed on the edge of the pad on the outside of the disc. Even when you're not pressing the brake pedal the pad and disc are still touching with no pressure so the pad still vibrates with the friction.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
You sir are a leg-end. Thanks for the explanation! Gonna take a look at these ASAP.

If I were to replace, what would you recommend (bearing in mind that I don't track the car, and don't belt it down country roads that much anymore).

I hear good things about Brembo's and DS2500 or something but they're like £120.

Anything good for midrange budgets?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Go for standard pads and discs then. More than capable for your needs.

Brembo HC discs might be cheaper than OE discs but not sure.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
and again, thanks a lot buddy. what about ebc redstuffs - so there's less brake dust/cleaning.

172 cup, Impreza P1
No problem mate.

Never tried them but from what I hear EBC stuff is poor. Less dust probable means they will wear the disc faster anyway. Lol

I'd just go for standard.

I can only echo what Cupman29 has said.
I'd reccommend getting them from G 172 on here. He can do OEM spec Brembo discs and pads for best price.
Failing that Ebay is cheapest for Renault Genuine ones.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
yeah been clocking g172's posts and defo gonna get the brembo discs when mine are up for renewal. for now i need to file down these pads cos its so annoying!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I can only echo what Cupman29 has said.
I'd reccommend getting them from G 172 on here. He can do OEM spec Brembo discs and pads for best price.
Failing that Ebay is cheapest for Renault Genuine ones.

Try t21ads on here...can get genuine renault stuff pretty damn cheap.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
sorry, being a mong. im at my mates garage now and got the pads out, which/where will this lip be - where do i sand it down?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Round the outer edge of the pad, the bit that would be to the outside of the disc. When you've got them out make sure the pad face isn't glazed by giving it a rub with some coarse emery paper. Do not breath the dust in so wear a dust mask!

Last edited:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Cheers dude. Cleaned up the shim plates, sanded the edges down with a tyre puncture sander thingy, cleaned the back up and went mental with the copper grease. Seems ok at the mo, a motorway mission in a min will tell for sure. Cheers

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Seems to have done the trick! I thought it was top mounts so cheers for saving me a few quid!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Glad you're sorted mate.

There are lots of simple DIY maintenance you can do to keep your brakes tip top and don't require a great deal of mechanical knowledge. Just make sure you are confident enough to not make an arse of it and put it back together the same way it comes off.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Was gonna put my new cup shocks on aswell while I was on a roll, but the bloody things didn't come with the plastic sleeves/gators! What's that all about?!