ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Un-even ride height, v maxx!

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
I've bought some v maxx coilovers and fitted them the other day! (fitted correctly)

I have had to adjust the o/s/r about 3/4 of an inch higher than the n/s/r (which is quite abit) and it still sits a few mm lower :S

Anyone else suffered this?

ITB'd MK1
where are you measuring? I measure the length of thread below the spring seat. If you're confident that it's all 100% correctly fitted, then try measuring up everything off the car. make sure the springs are the same length, etc. Hard to say with any more detail without seeing what you have

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
I will measure how many threads I have tomoro and get back to you.

It's probably not ideal but I have been measuring the gap between tyre and arch (wheels sit out further than standard)
Both tyres are the same (Toyo t1-r) and both worn the same. I can get two fingers between n/s but o/s I can't!

ITB'd MK1
the only 2 measurements that mean anything is the length of the thread below the spring seat, and then when the car is back on it's wheels, the distance from the center of the wheel, to the arch

Also sounds like you've not measured the camber

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
I checked my wheel alignment using 4 wheel digital alignment at work (snap-on Bluetooth measurement heads) before fitting these and everything was within specs.
As the rear is unadjustable the camber should be fine I would have thought? The camber looks spot on by eye and the same as the other side

There's definitely LOTS more threads showing underneath the o/s/r springs seat than n/s spring seat but like I say I'll get underneath tomoro and measure how many I have either side and the distance between center of the wheel and arch

ITB'd MK1
sorry, just realised you're on the rear and not the front. must have skim read that bit. Not sure whats doing on there really, unless one of the springs isn't seating properly

CBR1000RR Fireblade
i had this yesterday with my v maxx coilovers. i was doing some gardening and i noticed my 182 was wonky. after messing about it turned out it was how the car was parked. looking at it after i moved it it was 2mm lower at one side than the other. im hoping to change them soon or i would of bothered to sort them out

i had this yesterday with my v maxx coilovers. i was doing some gardening and i noticed my 182 was wonky. after messing about it turned out it was how the car was parked. looking at it after i moved it it was 2mm lower at one side than the other. im hoping to change them soon or i would of bothered to sort them out

You noticed a 2mm difference?

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
Yeah uneven ground is a git, but I parked it in the workshop where I work which is level and even though I have it adjusted alot still sat slightly lower that side :/

CBR1000RR Fireblade
You noticed a 2mm difference?

with a tape measure, yes.

the tarmac in my car park is not level, it looked very wonky. so i moved the car off the tarmac and parked it next to my van where there ground is level. i measured from the centre of the wheel to the top of the arch and got a 2 to 3mm difference from side to side.

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
just been out and measured it all o/s/r is 306mm and n/s/r is 311mm

o/s/r adjuster
64ba4489.jpg

n/s/r adjuster
289adaa5.jpg

o/s/r arch gap
8749384b.jpg

n/s/r arch gap
c7546a76.jpg

CBR1000RR Fireblade
the annoying thing is the arch gaps could be down to unlevel ground. which is why its a ball ache to do.

has your car ever been involved in a rear end bump?

the reason i ask is i have seen this before on another car and it turned out the rear beam was bent, bowed at one side.

I had the same problem with my Gaz coilovers, never got to the bottom of the problem mind.

Then i changed to vmaxx and the heights were identical.

Try swapping the rear springs and seats side to side see if the gaps the same?

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
well it sat level before hand when it was on eibach prolines so only assume its the new suspension setup.

Bongy - i could try swapping these over next week when im back at work but till then i'd like to try and solve it on the car lol :p

Not a 320d
Are MK1's like MK2's and 3's....where the camber at the rear is un matched. My GT looks the same, higher at one side and lower the other, even though its not.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
some retarded motorsport company fit my v maxx when the previous owner had it. they fit the coilovers so the car was wonky, the long bolts securing the dampers were hand tight ,the rear springs upside down and no rear adjusters. supposed very good motorsport company = morons.

if fitted correctly the car should be level, both with a tape measure and aesthetically.

Lionel Richie
general rule of thumb - set the rears the same, drivers side front right approx 7mm higher (on the shock) than the passenger side

CBR1000RR Fireblade
is that to compensate for the weight of the driver because most use of the vehicle will be with one person in it?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
really? that i did not know. you learn something new everyday. still, its my passenger side that is higher :/

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
ive got both front set the same fred, do you think this could be why it is sitting funny at the rear? its pivoting...?

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I changed the ride height a little on my car a few weeks ago and when I put it back on it's wheels, it wasn't sitting right (not to that degree, but still not right).

I was sure, the car was level before I changed the height and both were adjusted the same so the only possible failure was me :eek:. The spring must not have been sitting right as when I lifted the car back up then removed and re-fitted the springs and it was fine.

It may be worth taking them off, setting them both to the same height, measuring the height of the spring+adjuster off the car without any weight on them, then re-fit them.

If you still have the same problem, swap the springs over and see if the problem occurs on the other side.

Obvious things to try I know, but my guess would be that the spring isn't sitting correctly.

Lionel Richie
ive got both front set the same fred, do you think this could be why it is sitting funny at the rear? its pivoting...?

yup

the box is 35kg - passenger side
the engine is 100kg (plus steering column, plus driver, plus fuel tank) - all on the drivers side

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
so i need to set the O/S/F 7 mm higher than the N/S and adjust the rears the same?

PB172
I personally think that you just have to keep fiddling with the coils untill your happy with the level. I worked for 9 months with a motorsport team and we had 3 mk5 Golf GTI's and 2 Scirocco R's and I was forever adjusting the ride height to level them out / try out new ride heights etc. As said before it's all to do with engine weight and petrol tank etc.

It's a pain in the arse but once your happy leave it untill it's off or you fancy being higher or lower again!

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Banderson, Fred means set the height you want on the passenger side. Then on the drivers side wind that to the same height on the adjuster and then take it up 7mm so on the adjusters the drivers side is 7mm higher than the passenger side.

Then when the car is sat on level ground with the wheels on the car should sit level.

I understand that, nsf + osr, osf +nsr.

How come my Gaz were uneven, alot worse than the op, yet the vmaxx bang on to the mm?

So its a normal occurence being that different side to side?

Lionel Richie
it gets really really complicated and mind bending but if you put a bog standard car on a set of scales an example result is below

FL - 290 FR - 370
RL - 190 RR - 190

now take into account pre load on the springs static, yada yada yada, goes on for hours and hours

with driver you could see

FL - 320 FR - 400
RL - 205 RR - 220

it gets really really complicated and mind bending but if you put a bog standard car on a set of scales an example result is below

FL - 290 FR - 370
RL - 190 RR - 190

now take into account pre load on the springs static, yada yada yada, goes on for hours and hours

with driver you could see

FL - 320 FR - 400
RL - 205 RR - 220

Bit too late for that ;)

Monaco Blue Clio 172
Fred is right on this one!! we run our Seat Supacopa race cars with massive differences between platform hights left to right. All varies on the driver and which type of gerbox the car is fitted with. Far easier to explain with a car sitting infront of you on a set of scales though!!!!!