ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

UK Student faces US trial (TV Shack)

They use the same system as Google etc. When they are told to remove something or they find out it is illegal then they will delete it. They also check the MD5 of files for known copyrighted material.

I expect the main reason for getting away with it for so long is that you can't search for files and they are both based in places where copyright laws are more lenient.

Someone like Rapidshare/MegaUpload make a f**k ton of money from storing files. A massive percentage of those files is going to be illegal. How these sites aren't more accountable I have no idea.

They play the card that they are not responsible for what their users upload.

I know that the users don't get paid ad revenue if the files are found to be illegal but there is no way they monitor everything, it's all based on users flagging the content.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Rapidshare etc also make a massive effort to remove pirated content, but with this, the content creators become more clever.

The only links to survive now are those that are properly coded, all of the decent uploaders obviously now code their links and all is well.

I still think it's horrendous he's being extradited, completely ridiculous, but the us government and the media companies around the world really are failing to stop piracy, so drastic measures will be taken.

At the end of the day, the media industry isn't evolving at the same rate as the rest of the technological world, that's pretty much the long and short of it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Serves him right to a certain extent TBH, he made 150K by helping others to break copyright laws, and he did so without being careful about it, he was an idiot to think he wouldnt suffer consequences.

He should have at least had a "report illegal content" link or something like that, and then slowly acted on all reports (policy of content will be removed in 7 days or similar so it doesnt really do much) and then his site could still have functioned but he would have looked like he was attempting to do something about copyright infringement.

5 years in a US jail is proper harsh though, should think some nerd with an english accent is going to be passed around the inmates like a bottle of cheap cider at a schoolkid's party.

To suggest that what he did should have a sentance as harsh as something like rape, just shows how much power Sony and the like have!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes guns are legal in this country if you have a license. So was his website?

His website did not host content, he did not sell links.. He made profit from advertising through the site... I'm sure he knew the content was illegal which he was pointing to, but he didn't create the stuff. Surely the authorities should pursue those who are actually ripping/copying and uploading the content?

Yes, give him a slap on his wrists and shut it down. But to let our government ship him off to another country?

He could have just had a "I am from a country in which the content linked to from this site is not illegal" disclaimer I guess?
Then he could say he had tried to stop yanks from using it?

Cupra
Totally disagree with the fact that he can be punished in the US when he is a UK citizen hosting on UK servers and not breaking UK law, regardless of what he was warned of.

If you had a site hosting pictures of Mohammed cartoons and other anti islam propaganda, there is not a chance in hell that you would be extradited to one of the middle east states to be punished, even if they offered a guarantee that you wouldn't be killed, although the UK govmt may have something to say about it.

I hope that somebody jumps in and saves the poor kid.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Totally disagree with the fact that he can be punished in the US when he is a UK citizen hosting on UK servers and not breaking UK law, regardless of what he was warned of.

If you had a site hosting pictures of Mohammed cartoons and other anti islam propaganda, there is not a chance in hell that you would be extradited to one of the middle east states to be punished, even if they offered a guarantee that you wouldn't be killed, although the UK govmt may have something to say about it.

I hope that somebody jumps in and saves the poor kid.

VERY fair point.

Although I suspect america think they actually own the internet and we are just borrowing it.

clio 16v
Google is totally different.

WarezBB. That site is f**king huge. What about them?

He knew exactly what he was doing and reaped the benefits. Now it comes to punishment time and he's acting innocent. They closed his site down and he moved and re-opened it. Nobody to blame but himself.

If there is a case to answer he should be tried in the UK . No matter what the US think , their laws don't apply f**king globally !

Black 172
It's all wrong. He never stored or hosted copyright material, he merely linked to it (like any other search engine can and does do). Even if he'd stored copyright material, extradition should be reserved for the most serious crimes only. This is more a civil matter than a criminal one and should definitely be sorted on UK soil.

Just goes to show what stuck up w**kers the americans think they are. Bloody traitors to the crown. Extradite them and send them to australlia on boats

It's all wrong. He never stored or hosted copyright material, he merely linked to it (like any other search engine can and does do).

I'm quite surprised by how much people are sticking up for him.

He made 150k.
They shut him down.

This is where sensible people would have given up. Finish Uni. Buy a house. But no.

Start website back up. Think you're clever.
Put 'f**k you Police' message on your website.

Then he cries like a little girl when he gets caught.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm quite surprised by how much people are sticking up for him.

He made 150k.
They shut him down.

This is where sensible people would have given up. Finish Uni. Buy a house. But no.

Start website back up. Think you're clever.
Put 'f**k you Police' message on your website.

Then he cries like a little girl when he gets caught.

It's not that he's been caught Dan, not at all.

It's the fact he's being extradited that's utter ridiculous. If he were tried in the UK, then I'd have no real issue with it, extradition for creating a website that links people to where illegal content it being stored? Really? REALLY?

Evo 5 RS
Laughable, Google profits from scam sites on a regular basis yet this poor lad is being made an example of for linking media not even hosting it.

Humanity, take note. You are doing it wrong

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Shouldn't the UK be nurturing this young entreprenuer?

businessdesk__1220876769_theo-paphitis.jpg

You want to spend a hundred thousand pounds of my childrens inheritence on linking to donkey p**n websites?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Loving the comparisons to google!

The fact of the matter was, he knew exactly what he was doing, he specifically provided links to pirated stuff. Guilty.

The problem I have is with our "special relationship" with the U S of A. Had this been an American doing this, there's no f**king way the they'd extradite him to the UK to face charges.

That said, stick him on a boat off the coast of Somalia and let him play with real pirates.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
No one is really questioning the legality, what we all agree isn't right is the abuse of this "special relationship" to extradite someone for directing people to pirated content, as you said, it'd never happen the other way around.