ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres - which of these 3

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

I guess this subject has been discussed to death!
Anyway, about to buy some tyres and have come down to three choices:
Yokohama A539 - £240 for 4 fitted
Pirelli P Zero Nero - around £300 for 4 fitted
Goodyear Eagle F1 - £270 for 4 fitted
Yokohama AVS Sport - not priced yet - any thoughts?

Car is a Clio 172 Cup with standard 195/45/16 wheels.
I only do about 6000 miles a year so overall wear is not a major issue. Just want the best handling and grip.

Andrew

Ziel Nurburgring

Arent the tyres found on the 182 supposed to be really good? Cant remember the exact type but i think they are pirellis

111s

I like the zero neros and GSD3 F1s.

Dont rate A539s at all. Where have you got the prices from?

stay away from the A539s - brill in the dry, pants in the wet - very unstable in bends

my exp. i know but they are bad, was going for the F1s until i decided to change my car

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

The A539s are pants in the wet, but in the dry, whilst not offering as much grip as the others, they are very progressive.

For me thats a good sacrifice as...

Id willingly sacrifice the dry grip - if youre looning about in the wet youre a bit of a prick.

I prefer progressiveness over ultimate grip - by their nature (in the dry at least) you can really feel whats going on at each corner, and therefore you could assume that you can explore more of what they have to offer as they give you the confidence to play around.

Ive never tried anything other than the A539s and original Contis so Im probably talking sh*te!

Black 182 + Recaros

Agree with Saber and MarkCup. I recently replaced my Contins with A539s. The softer compound makes for a much smoother ride. I found the Contis threw me all over the place. Motorway driving feels much better too. The car feels really solid.

They arent that good in the wet, you do have to take corners much slower. But thats no bad thing.

I really didnt like the progressive feel at first. It took a while to get used to, am still not 100% sure. I think I prefer the absolute grip of the Contis.

For the price they are good value.

I hope to get the best of both worlds by replacing the A539s with Exalto 2s (when I can afford to).

Yeah can really feel whats going on with the A539s on the back of mine, soo much better than the contis.

Clio 172 Mk2

Only tyres I would consider :-

Michelin Exalto PE2s (which Ive got now)

Goodyear Eagle GSD3s

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

Quote: Originally posted by DARKO on 04 November 2004

I like the zero neros and GSD3 F1s.

Dont rate A539s at all. Where have you got the prices from?
Thanks for all the comments there. Still torn between the F1s and the A539s then. Incidentally, there seem to be two different F1s - the GSD3 and the GSD2 - what is the difference?

As for the prices.
The Yokohama prices were from a place in Worcester called ETB - they also do laser alignment and the F1s (though not sure which of the two) are from a tyre place local to me who are doing 4 for the price of 3 on all Goodyear tyres.

Andrew

Clio 172 Mk2

Cant understand why youre not considering Michelin Exalto PE2s... you can get em for less than £70 each.

GSD3s are an update on GSD2s... quote UPDATE.... meaning they are improved!!! If your not considering Michelins then I recommend Goodyear GSD3s... but I like the sharpness of the Exaltos.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_pilot_exalto_pe2.jsphttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_pilot_exalto_pe2.jsp

Goodyears not bad either :-

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_ps2_nextGen.jsphttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_ps2_nextGen.jsp

dk

911 GTS Cab

exalto 2s are the best for wet and dry grip and they are very progressive, Lee and I swear by them!

cheapest place is mytyres.co.uk

Mitchelin Pilot exalto peII from F1 @ £64 (fitted i do believe) unless they have caught on to the fact there prices are wrong ;)

Go for the GSD3s, ive been running them for about 2k and changed the size to 215/40 r16 and they are amazing in the wet, its so reasuring especially in this weather. I have no issues with rubbing at all. The tyres are a slightly softer compound than the contis which makes the ride slightly softer.

Black 182 + Recaros

WannabeeCup - Id like to see pictures of your Cup with 215s. Do you have any?. Can you upload any rear and side shots. Was gonna get 205/45, but 215/40 sounds interesting.

Thanks.

F1 = chesterfield road, Mansfield, Notts

I think they have branches all over but craig the manager showed me his price list last time i was in as he had never heard of pilot exaltos let alone PEII when we checked they were £64. I couldnt believe it either i would have purchased a set had i not just forked out for Toyos on both cars.

They are a bunch of hand fisted monkeys though so make sure you watch them fit em or you will have scuffed alloys. Same as most garages though i expect.

Black 182 + Recaros

Thanks for the advice. Found a dealer just round the corner. Never realised it was an F1 center.

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

Quote: Originally posted by biglunn on 04 November 2004

Cant understand why youre not considering Michelin Exalto PE2s... you can get em for less than £70 each.

GSD3s are an update on GSD2s... quote UPDATE.... meaning they are improved!!! If your not considering Michelins then I recommend Goodyear GSD3s... but I like the sharpness of the Exaltos.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_pilot_exalto_pe2.jsphttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_pilot_exalto_pe2.jsp

Goodyears not bad either :-

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_ps2_nextGen.jsphttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_ps2_nextGen.jsp
Most of my local tyre places seem unable to get stock or prices for PE2s, hence them not being on my list. I prefer to by local rather than mail order. I will probably go with the GSD3s.

Just found the A539s local though for £57.81 each fitted but wary of the reports about wet weather capability. Anyone got the AVS Sports?

Andrew

The Jinx

A guy that rallies a willy spec clio off evo (and sometimes comes on here) just finished 2nd ahead of a Quattro in only his 2nd rally, losing to something thats basically a roll cage on wheels. And he was the only one running non-motorsport tyres.

He raved over them.

They are Eagle F1s

Nuff, said.

got the same wheels as you on my valver had two new tyres on the front today i just bourght apair of avon tyres 195/45/16 £100

Clio 172 Mk2

Andrew... just popped into a tyre place (Humphries in Reading) and they can do Exalto PE2s in your size for £75 each. Costo in reading are cheaper but they are membership only.

But.. hust found out that Humphries are doing 4 for 3 offer on Goodyears! Now they have offered Goodyear GSD3s in your size for under £250 for 4! But be quick.. dont think the offer will last that long!

Ive just recentley had a set of Exlato PE2s put on my valver after having yokos A509s and IMO the yokos performed a lot better.

I only went for the Exaltos in the end because i was told they would last a longer.

Too be fair i havent tested them in the wet yet but ive heard there miles better than the yokos, as they were truley sh*te.

As the winters coming/here already, im hoping ive made the right choice.

I was supprised how big the water channels in the tire were....

ive only done 4-500 miles on the PE2s so far so theres probably room for inprovement still.

Quote: Originally posted by MattyMarsh on 04 November 2004

WannabeeCup - Id like to see pictures of your Cup with 215s. Do you have any?. Can you upload any rear and side shots. Was gonna get 205/45, but 215/40 sounds interesting.

Thanks.
Hi MattyMarsh, check http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=114233&SearchPagePosition=1&search=WannabeeCup&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Author&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Searchthis link out, there are plenty of shots, but if there is an angle other than side on that you want im sure i could get the camera out...

Black 182 + Recaros

WannabeeCup -

When you went to 215/40 tyres, did it effect you MPG much ?

I found changing from Contiss to Yoko tyres had a negative effect on my MPG, and the tyres remained the same size at 195. I think the softer compound caused this. I was concerned what would happen if I switch to 215s.

I like the appearance of the 205 Exalto tyres on the 182. Looks better from the rear. Id imagine the 215s would look even better.

Would you mind posting a couple of different rear shots.

Thanks.

BMW 320d Sport

Yokes are soft and only worth having if you can get them really cheap. Thats why they often come with wheel and tyre packages because they dont cost a lot but theyre half decent.

I dont know what the Michelins are like but I dont trust anything that are used on a car as an OE tyre cos they must have been paid to use them LOL

Ive used Goodyear Eagle F1s on every wheel Ive run for the last six years. In between Ive tried others and not liked them. They are damn good in the dry, phenomenal in the wet - I mean really, unbelievable - last a good long time cos theyre not too soft and dont look like Nankang remoulds.

I would always use Eagles, nothing else will do in our wet climate. The GSD2 are the old design that you can often get old stock of quite cheap, the GSD3 are an update which are slightly better. I currently run GSD2s that Ive had on for 2 or 3 years now, been track driving on, done a fair bit of qaurter miling and sprint testing plus fast road use, and Im only just thinking about getting another front pair cos theyre getting a bit low.

MattyMarsh, yeah sure, i will get the camera out tomorrow when im back from work and take a few. TBH at first i thought it had a negative effect, but i thought, give myself a bit of time to let the tyres bed in and for the fun to get out of the way and i cant say its changed, im getting the same return as previously, although i try and run them a little higher pressure, between 34-36, generally its 36 when the tyres are warm, but the other day i took pressures when they were cold and it was 32, so need to give it a few more psi. The rears i go to 34 warm.

I totally agree with you nick, although i cant say i have experienced that many more tyres, but the goodyears are phenomenal in the wet, very confidence inspiring, not too shabby in the dry too :D

.I an get Michs and all makes at £55.00 per wheel fitted +VAT honest!!!!

Check out COSTCO.CO.UK have to be a member for £25.00 per year

Lee

Quote: Originally posted by andrew_172 on 06 November 2004

Most of my local tyre places seem unable to get stock or prices for PE2s, hence them not being on my list. I prefer to by local rather than mail order. I will probably go with the GSD3s.
Just found the A539s local though for £57.81 each fitted but wary of the reports about wet weather capability. Anyone got the AVS Sports?

Andrew
As with the generl consensus, Id go with F1s as a great all-rounder particularly in this climate. The Michelins are probably better ultimately in the dry though.

I would steer clear of AVS Sports, they are "ok" in the dry but comically bad in the wet, almost like driving on ice when its cold damp/greasy conditions, where the F1s just give so much more confidence.