ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres for track use

Clio 172
Hey everyone! What tyres do you guys use for track? I've only ever had continentals on all my previous cars but my new 172 is sitting on 4 budget's atm what do you recommend? Need to be good for daily use to...

cheers

Clio Cup
Federal RSRs seem to be the Tyre of choice for road going track cars that need to be semi useful in all weathers

172 cup, Impreza P1
The whole track and road use tyre thing is never as clear cut.

IMO, get a cheap set of 15's and fit some R888's or A048's. Depending on the number of trackdays, it could work out cheaper and then you can sell the wheels on when you are done. The only downside is that you'll need somewhere to keep them.

Clio 172
Everyone will have an opinion - it's your budget and what you think of them at the end of the day.

I run Toyo T-1Rs on my Zetec-S and they're really grippy, yet other people have had no end of problems with them!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
The whole track and road use tyre thing is never as clear cut.

IMO, get a cheap set of 15's and fit some R888's or A048's. Depending on the number of trackdays, it could work out cheaper and then you can sell the wheels on when you are done. The only downside is that you'll need somewhere to keep them.

This is what I do. I have a set of 2118s- R888s and a set of 2118s and cheap rubber Parada spec 2/ T1R's.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
What's the crack with track tyres? Are you allowed to use worn R888's etc that are below 1.6mm on the edges etc?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Thought so. Cheers, just checking. This is for a track day at the ring - I'm guessing for the TF days though you can't - has to be road legal?

Thought so. Cheers, just checking. This is for a track day at the ring - I'm guessing for the TF days though you can't - has to be road legal?

Tourist days your car has to be road legal. If you're in an accident and your car is found out not to be then you're in big trouble.

I've seen them check tyres and send people away.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
yeah again, just checking cheers. I'll go in on my Michelins on sunday and swap em over for the track day on Monday.

Cheers sausage.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I've been to loads of trackdays with people using slicks so defo not road legal. The whole road legal thing is to make sure the car is safe as in has an MOT.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I am going for laptimes because i'm a racing driver = toyo R888 (or similar)

I am going for fun and like feeling the car gradually and progressively slide (thus learning car control) = some tyres.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I am going for laptimes because i'm a racing driver = toyo R888 (or similar)

I am going for fun and like feeling the car gradually and progressively slide (thus learning car control) = some tyres.
Exactly why my standard cup track mule will be getting a matching set of road boots. Resisting the traditional track day tyre route with all my might.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
For those arguing about slick legality... It depends on the trackday. Each has its own rules and regs. Those stipulating "Road legal" require you to use E marked tyres.

2002 clio 172
im in nz and I'm not really needing the best racing tyres ever but i would like a few suggestions of models/brands recommended other than the federal 595rsr.

ive had the 595 on my wrx but they weren't the rsrs and they were awful. terrible tyres. but everyone says the rsr is a much better rubber.

truth is I'm looking for some tyres for track days, I'm not using them on the road. the car is on 15s so 195/50/15s i guess.

the car is lowered on eibachs standard suspension wise other than that.

so I've got r888s - bit spensy for what I'm wanting
rsrs - nervous of them but maybe will have no choice

some people over here say nittos are good, I've heard they disintegrate

I've heard archillies make racing tyres but like these are all brands I know nothing about as I've always heard of bridgestone, yoko, michelin, continental, gt radial etc... all the race tyres are from weird brands that I've never heard of haha

recommendations please preferably based on your track day experience with the tyres

cheers :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
if its exclusively for track days, see if you can source some full slicks, imo nothing comes even remotely close (only disadvantage is you more than likely will require decent suspension to cope and some TDO's only allow slicks with roll over protection)

also consider the second hand market, again as the tyres don't need to be legal just watch out for set of cheap 15's with worn past road legal semi slicks on, such as R888's. you'll get them at the fraction of the price new, already scrubbed in and with plenty of track life left to have some fun on without worrying about destroying 400 quids worth of tyres

172 Cup
Yoko A048 if you can afford a proper motorsport tyre, Toyo R888 if you can't.

I spoke to the tyre tech on the DN10 track day and he said the Yoko's are the only tyre that has a proper motorsport construction.. the rest, especially Nankang and Federal, are road tyres with less tread.

i use federal 595 rsr and used slicks off ebay. lap time comparisons at llandow are.

Toyo proxes x4 50.2sec
Federal 595 rsr 48.5
used clio cup slicks off ebay 47.2

times from a st170 though not clio

2002 clio 172
Thanks everyone - good ideas :)

I'm thinking freight on used slicks would be pretty high because I'm in new zealand.

awesome suggestions thanks