ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres for track days

Clio 172 51
As per title, probably been done a million times before but hey ho.

I intend to run 195 50 15s and been looking at r888 at about 350 a set delivered, anyone have any other suggestions in that price range?

Not bothered about road use as I'll use the standard 172 wheels for everyday use.....Thanks in advance

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Rsr or ado8r's

The former I used and were great. Few laps and then held on for ages.

888's although not the r were great for a few laps.

Fun over record breaking imo

Clio 172 51
Rsr seem to be about 240 ish a set?? Seems ridiculously cheap, Yoko's about 280 ish

Clio 172 51
I've only ever driven on 888s on track but that's on my brothers focus, they impressed me but have nothing to compare them to don't wanna buy something different and be disappointed hence the post, all opinions welcomed

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
888s are leagues ahead of anything else I've used, I do have a pair of AR1s to try next though

See I didn't find that. Yeah they offered more grip but went off way quicker. The rsr tyres after 3/4 laps at Oulton just kept getting better.

@LeeRS was a passenger when I was there.

Time of year will also determine how good they are as they like heat. I'm no hero when driving but I wouldn't opt for 888's (no idea of the r as never used them) over the ones I've recommended. That and and the fact rsr will last longer if money isn't growing on the tree in the garden. Everyone has an opinion and a thread is to discuss so it's interesting to hear what others say.

You also have to factor in spec of car to a degree and driver ability too. But for me the rsr or my current ado8's are plenty. Saying that I haven't done a trackday for ages.

Clio 172 51
Oooh, driver ability....
Ya got me there as I have none......Might as well save me money and get some remoulds!!!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
If you can find a set cheap, hard to beat Avon ZZRs. I was lucky to get a full set of lightly scrubbed for £150, and 3-4 yrs previously a half used pair for £55, but dont come up often, and rarely cheap.
I was pushing almost everything out the way on entry and exit on a cold and drying brands a few weeks back on them.

Only ever used R888s and love them, just bought a pair of kumho v70a as these are meant to be good as well.

Get all my track tyres from ebay part worn, some real bargains out there. Once got 4 x R888s in 195/50/15 with 4mm,(5mm new) all round for £80.

You just need to be quick!