ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres for road/track car over Winter

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
About to purchase some new tyres for my 172. Will be doing a couple of track days over Winter as well as using the car on the road for circa 100 miles per week.

Would the R888's be a risky option or are the T1-R's a better bet?

Open to suggestions.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Thanks Fred, will probably go for these. I never need to drive the car over Winter as don't use it for commuting etc, so wont be a problem. I think a 172 on slicks will still be better than my other car in the snow anyway :)

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Another quick question, what is the widest width (realistically) that can go on the ph1 OZ F1's?

Is 195 the best/only option?

Oh and while i'm at it, one last question.. Cheapest place to buy them :)

you can put 205's on the F1s if you wanted.

Camskill are cheap... don't be so lazy and pick up the phone ;)

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Thanks, Camskill were definitely cheaper than elsewhere I had looked. Under £100 a corner delivered :)

Clio 172 ph2
Thanks Fred, will probably go for these. I never need to drive the car over Winter as don't use it for commuting etc, so wont be a problem. I think a 172 on slicks will still be better than my other car in the snow anyway :)

My M3 was useless in snow so i can imagine how bad the M6 is!

I think the clio with track biased tyres will be pretty scary in winter on the roads though, you'll have no brakes at all!

I'd go for a decent performance road tyre that will still cut it on track, from the likes of Michelin, etc

Golf GTD Mk7
go for 195s mate. don't know any tyres that are good in the snow. More show less go!! r888's in the wet are fine, even with standing water. Dry track and they're emmense.

Clio 172 ph2
But in the winter are you going to get the tyre temps high enough to make the most of the R888's compund?

Winter tyres are good in snow!!!

Golf GTD Mk7
But in the winter are you going to get the tyre temps high enough to make the most of the R888's compund?

Winter tyres are good in snow!!!

You'll not get the compound hot on the road no, but it still grips when cold.

Winter tyres are poo in snow. Only tyres that are good in snow is studded ones. ;)

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Does everyone go for the Medium compound R888's or Soft? I'm thinking for a road/track car Mediums would be the prefered choice, not sure how well they will heat up in winter though, on track they should be fine.

Golf GTD Mk7
Does everyone go for the Medium compound R888's or Soft? I'm thinking for a road/track car Mediums would be the prefered choice, not sure how well they will heat up in winter though, on track they should be fine.

Medium compound mate. Not much point in the softs to be honest. The medium have more than enough stickiness to them. Softs will just wear out too quickly.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I thought that the likes of 888's dont like the cold and can break up easily, i am sure i have seen something about minimum temps to use them in.