ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre recommendations for a 172 Cup

Clio 172 Cup
Are there any particular tyres people would recommend for daily use on a 172 Cup? I'm looking for some decent all-weather road tyres rather than anything too track-biased.

It's running 195 45 R16s with I plan to stick with unless there's any compelling reason to change. Prices were a bit of a shock; they vary from £66 for Kuhmos to £94 for Michelin Pilot Sport 3s on Black Circles, which is more than I'd hoped.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
In that 16" specific Cup size, the best tyre I've had for all weather was the Conti Sport Contact. They lasted well and had very very good wet grip, and I used them for an 80 mile round trip commute on A/B roads.

Clio 172 Cup
I'm pretty sure it's on Contis at the moment. They went through the MOT without so much as an advisory, but the fronts are looking a bit worn and the car understeers quite dramatically at the moment. I had the tracking adjusted and that hasn't solved issues, pressures are correct too, so I'm guessing it's the tyres. Weird as they don't look that worn.

I think the previous owner used it for track days, so it's possible they've undergone some sort of thermal degradation even though there's a reasonable amount of tread left. For that matter, I haven't checked the expiration date - I guess it's possible they could be a bit past their best if they're a second hand set or something.

The reason I mention it is I'm debating whether or not to buy a pair or a full set. At the moment it's just the fronts that appear to be the problem. But the front end isn't really generating enough grip to tax the rears currently, so they could be very nearly as bad. If they were the same type I might feel a bit happier about leaving the rears on there for the time being.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
im interested in this also, was looking at Syron Race 1 Plus as the reviews seem good aswell as the price, £49 each

Clio 172 Cup
Michelin ps3's are £ 74 on tyre universe

Sport Contact 3s at £64 too.

I presume that's delivery only, though? Never actually bought tyres without fitting before - looks like around £10 a wheel is the going rate for fitting and balancing? So £84 for PS3s or £74 for SC3s in real terms.

ETA Anyone tried both the Sport Contact 3s and the Michelins? Any idea how they compare.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Sport Contact 3s at £64 too.

I presume that's delivery only, though? Never actually bought tyres without fitting before - looks like around £10 a wheel is the going rate for fitting and balancing? So £84 for PS3s or £74 for SC3s in real terms.

ETA Anyone tried both the Sport Contact 3s and the Michelins? Any idea how they compare.

Free delivery on there. The michelins are suberb. The contis are very good though but the michelins I think are better

Clio 172 Cup
Free delivery on there. The michelins are suberb. The contis are very good though but the michelins I think are better

Sorry, I meant delivery only as in you have to organise fitting separately? I've bought tyres from Black Circles and E-Tyres before, but I've always gone for the inclusive fitting so I don't honestly know how much it costs.

Nimbus Clio 197
The PS3 is the best tyre I've used on either my 172 Cup or my 182. Miles miles better than the Toyo which in my opinion are absolutely rubbish.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Sorry, I meant delivery only as in you have to organise fitting separately? I've bought tyres from Black Circles and E-Tyres before, but I've always gone for the inclusive fitting so I don't honestly know how much it costs.

Black circles I find are expensive. I would say 2x tyres fitted &, balanced is about £30

Clio 172 Cup
My local garage - which is normally quite good value - quoted me £19 apiece to get the tyres fitted. That means that Black Circles works out at almost exactly the same as Tyre Universe (which is £20 a corner cheaper but doesn't include fitting).

ETA Thanks to the mods for moving this to the correct section! My bad.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
£19 is expensive, I've always had tyres fitted while the cars on the ramp for something think I paid £15 for two last time.

dan's cast offs.
just stuck a set of rain sport 3's on mine, great tyre to say the least, especially for the money.

try camskill, they pretty much stuff everyone else on price.