ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twingo 172

it started with an advert on Ebay
twingo_small.jpg

I bought it and drove it around for a couple of week with the 1.2L engine
twingoengine.jpg

I'd bought it with the intention of fitting a clio sport engine, so unbolted the front panel and removed the engine
twingocleansmall.jpg

Before starting on the engine I had a bit of a play with wheels, although the 13" 3 spokes offered something that money can't buy...
nice.jpg

I wanted to use 172 brakes, so they had to go. I bought some R19 turbines
better.jpg

I like the look, but not the grey crinkle finish. Dropped into the grit blaster at work.
blastedwheel_small.jpg

painted them up and refitted with 195/45/15s
paintedwheels2_small.jpg

nice and subtle to go in with the Q car theme :D

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Superb :)

You need one of these stickers when its done...

866049287_432053cc24.png

I got my arse handed to me by a seemingly standard Corsa SXi with one of these on the back lol :eek:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Should be sweet!

Kinda like the v8 twingo but alot more subtile

Subscribed! :D

At this point I had a 172 sat next to the Twingo and began dismantling the 172 and trying all the bit on the Twingo to see what would fit.

In the end I decided on using the following off the 172:

Engine
Gearbox
Driveshafts
Exhaust as far as the back of the cat
radiator
Front and rear brakes (std is front 239x8mm, rear drums)
front hubs
gear linkage

From the Twingo I'd use a modified front subframe and rear beam modified to use disks. Wishbones and steering rack.

I wanted to use as many standard parts as possible, but that isn't always so easy.

First major purchase was a set of H+R coilovers
suspensionsmall.jpg

Then did the relatively simple job of drilling and tapping the rear beam to fit the 172 disks. Taking the opportunity to slip in some shim for a bit of ghetto camber..
rearbrakes3small.jpg

camber.jpg

strangely, although the Twingo is a fair bit shorter than the Clio I had to make an extension for the handbrake linkage.
handbrake.jpg

I also bought a cup brake pressure regulator to fit in the rear brake lines

I'll cut out a lot of a details about making the engine fit, it does drag on a bit, so I'll try and show some of the main points.

The standard alternator hung out the front of the bumper, so I lashed up an alternator mount, tensioner, and front engine mount that cleared the front panel.
alternator2.jpg

alternator3.jpg

You may have noticed that the standard rear mount was above the subframe, I wanted the exhaust to go through that gap, so cut it off and welded one underneath, losing some 'ballast' along the way.
subframe1.jpg

subframe2.jpg

subframe3.jpg

I seem to be missing a pic of the new mount welded on, but I do have one showing the part I made to bolt onto the gearbox.
rearmount9.jpg

and the 'ballast'
ballast.jpg

As you can imagine, it's all a bit snug up front in the Twingo, so having sorted out the mounts I needed to do cut and shut on the heater intake to miss the cam cover. I still want a heater as this will be a daily driver, so just cutting the box off wasn't a possibility. I don't have a specific pic of where it's at now, but it can be seen in later pics. Just some shots of space being made.

hole1.jpg

hole2.jpg

hole3.jpg

Then came a long drawn out and sorry affair of trying to unlock a PH2 ECU, and finally converting to PH1, I'll gladly forget this time of my life ever happened..

Anyway, it kinda fits..
running.jpg

running2.jpg

and runs
[youtube]mgnO2HP5kAs[/youtube]

Last edited:

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
mint!! (in more ways than one) what kind of weight were those original twingos...? 800kg?