ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trying to remove discs

VX220
My brakes have never felt that great since buying the car so ordered a new set of brembo discs and pads.
Im having a nightmare trying to remover the torx screws that hold the discs on. Its now a case that they are almost knackered. Have used penetrating fluid and had someone step on the pedal to keep everything still. Is there something else i can do to get them to budge.

When having a look i noticed that the disc looks a lot more worn than the pads, there is noticeable groove on the inside pad. Im guessing this isnt meant to be there as the new pads are flat.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Completely drill the bolt out with a slightly smaller drill bit and then re-tap it if you want to put the retaining bolts back.

VX220
From what i have read they are just locating screws and arent 100% needed. Should have looked into this earlier rather than cursing as i would have taken a drill to it straight away. cheers for the help!

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
if you don't have one a punch and hammer does similar thing , shocks and turns. But I'd advise the impact driver tbh if you have one/can lend one

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
Chizel it round or weld a nut on like i had to.

Try and drip some.brake fluid behind the nut to free it up a bit and wait for it to soak in. If u have any spare of course.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Don't worry about making a mess of the old torx bolts when removing them Chris. There is a couple of new ones in the box with the Brembo discs mate

VX220
nice one ill get a drill on the screwed up ones and have an impact driver which i will use for the other side.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I found that when drilling them out, the drill loosens them up enough to pull them out.

RS2004
Drilling with a 8mm drill bit will just shatter the head off releaving force on the threads. You then remove the disk which is 7mm thick at that location and just unscrew the threaded part by hand (no more pressure from the threads and 7mm protusion to hold it). If threadlock was used (not a good idea) you can still fit a pair of pliers to unscrew.

330i. E30 Touring.
If you're scrapping the discs anyway, get a grinder out and take the head off. Dont worry about the disc.