ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophys Went Bang (Gutted)

Clio 172 + 172 cup
Assuming the threads in the head have had it, can't they be helicoiled? The head would most likely have to come off but shouldn't be a huge job.

MC

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Threads are totally messed up and wont take the old plug or a new plug.

My mate said about this Timesert and then the garage have also said that it can be done and it works.

Im waiting till i talk to the garage tomorrow before i decide exactly what im doing.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Not sure I would be taking my car back to a garage that fails to find signs of a blown out plug when checking the cambelt / cams.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
a lot of piston chamber pressure and a weaker than usual head plug thread. when you consider how much pressure actually takes place in the chamber, you do have to wonder how any of them stay in...

02 Iceberg 172
a lot of piston chamber pressure and a weaker than usual head plug thread. when you consider how much pressure actually takes place in the chamber, you do have to wonder how any of them stay in...

Ok cheers - so is it the sort of thing that happens over time and can get picked up ie. the plug loosens gradually until it pops, so a loose plug could be spotted or are there other signs? Or does it just... happen.

Just curious because I have read on here quite a few times about this happening...

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Quick Update on this.

The car is getting taken to SWR this week for them to Time-Sert the spark plug bore and fit new spark plugs and HT leads.
Spoke to them on the phone this morning and he thinks its most defiantly repairable with looking at the threads on the plug (sent a e-mail)
It seems that its the last few threads have ripped out.

SWR have still said they really need to see it to find out how bad it is and if the piston has been hit or not.

The Plugs have not been done in over a year from a friend of mine so the garage have nothing to do with the work.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
The Time-sert is far better than a helicoil and the garage have advised the do the Time-sert to make sure that the threads are sorted.

Gutted for you, I know the exact feeling you had! Less than six weeks after dropping a replacement engine in mine it dropped a valve!
Get it fixed go for a drive and forget all about it :)

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
All fixed and running perfect now.

Only thing it needs is Petrol :p

Injector jammed open and chucked the spark plug out on Cylinder 1.

New HT Leads, New plugs and a time sert later and its all sorted.

The only thing i really want to change is the injectors as its my old ones that have been put back in the car.

Inferno 182
Good work. What sort of cost did you have in the end? Thinking about replacing my leads and plugs.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Good work. What sort of cost did you have in the end? Thinking about replacing my leads and plugs.

The Leads & Plugs cost more than getting the work actually done.

OE HT Leads - 8200334440 £53.54+vat

OE Spark Plugs - 8200239321 £12.54+vat Each