ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy to 197???

Civic Type R
Hi guys

Recently got rid of my 182 and wanted a 197, but came across a trophy locally and went a brought it No 147/500 !! Now I am beginning to regret my decision,

The trophy does handle a lot better than the 182 and seems quicker ( I know it isnt , just feels it)

How much difference is there between the trophy and 197? I have just had new cambelt, aux and brakes all round and it now owes me about £6800, but is pretty much mint and hopefully wont need any work for a while ! I am thinking if I sell it I can get a 197 for just a couple of grand more..

really dont know what to do.. keep the trophy or get a 197??!! Opinions please

wayne

clio trophy No56
I have a Trophy and my mate has a R27.
I prefer the Trophy, more raw and fun.
R27 is built better and just as good as the Trophy in the twisty bits.
Obviously the brakes are better on the R27 but nothing some decent disks, pads and lines wouldnt sort out on the Trophy.
Not sure about a normal 197 though.
IMO if you want fun keep the Trophy.

Mini Cooper S
I've driven both and prefer the trophy but.........drove the 200 beats them both so ordered one!! But I would stick with the trophy as I think it's more of a raw drive but if your wanting more refinement go for the 197

Nashy

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
try and get a r27!

Nashy you selling yours then? or trading it in? where you getting the 200 from - workington?

Civic Type R
If I had one I would definately try and get the r27, just trying to weigh up the pro's / cons, obviously the 197 is gonna cost more but maybe it will hold its money better than the trophy?

Swift Sport
182 to Trophy isn't really that bigger difference to justify the change, I went from a 172 to a 182 Cup and regretted it bigtimes. At least with a 197 it's a whole new car, regardless of the haters it's a step-up. Just be ready for heavier fuel bills!

Mini Cooper S
Trading in got it from benfield at Carlisle he made me an offer I couldn't refuse!! Lol
got to wait till sept for it though 'apparently' been told they can't order anymore ATM due to a back log so I was told I was one of the 'lucky' ones weather it's true or not I don't know???

Nashy

Civic Type R
182 to Trophy isn't really that bigger difference to justify the change, I went from a 172 to a 182 Cup and regretted it bigtimes. At least with a 197 it's a whole new car, regardless of the haters it's a step-up. Just be ready for heavier fuel bills!

Heavier fuel bills???

To be honest it really does seem to be a step up from the 182, feels a lot more special, but I cant help thinking I should of gone for the 197.

Probably going to go and drive a 197 at the weekend, see if I like it..

Mini Cooper S
That is the best bet drive one then compare! No doubt it's a step up my previous car was a ff artic blue 182! Fuel is a bit of a bugger!!

Nashy

White clique
fuel isnt that bad. The tanks are both 55ltr in the 182 and 197 (i think), and although the MPG is about 28 for the 197 vs 36 for the 182, in reality for me at least this meant about a fiver extra a week in the same driving style.

Swift Sport
fuel isnt that bad. The tanks are both 55ltr in the 182 and 197 (i think), and although the MPG is about 28 for the 197 vs 36 for the 182, in reality for me at least this meant about a fiver extra a week in the same driving style.

I've never seen above 24mpg.

Mini Cooper S
I'm getting 24mpg with a decat no remap struggled to get over 28 depends how you drive it tbh

nashy

White clique
deffo down to driving style, my current car is a 3 litre auto but i'm still getting 27mpg out of that!

But it certainly is possible to get 28 even without driving like a granny, just normal pottering about. In over a year of ownership i never got it UNDER 25!!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Had Trophy for 3 yrs, then bought 197 cup, fully loaded.

Despite the hype the 197Cup was the one i would choose again.

Sold the Trophy with 16K on the clock & the Cup had 7K.

Do what you like to the 182 brakes nothing compares to the monster 300+mm all round on the 197.

A good percentage of the mileage was done on trackdays & again 197 out the box is so easy to drive fast.

White clique
yes the brakes on the 197 are the first thing you notice, they are amazing, as is the exhaust note!

lower insurance group too which always helps.

Civic Type R
Definately going to try and drive one at the weekend, still not sure.. Dont wanna lose money on the Trophy will need to at atleast 6800 for it, and dont know if thats gonna happen in the current credit crunch environment..

So the plan is.. drive on at the weekend and see what I think!!!!

I can live with 24mpg

Lee

BMW M2C
I did 172, 182, Trophy then 197 Cup. I don't regret replacing my Trophy with the Cup for one second.

It's not really any heavier on fuel, I just think the counter is honest, unlike the 172/182 one. Depending on traffic and how I drive I get anywhere between 27 and 30mpg on my 41 mile round trip commute. I've just cleared 32k in just over 2 years! Saying that, I piled 40k on the Trophy in 2 and a half years!

It's amazing how the Trophy has held it's value. When I sold mine (number 007) I let it go for just over £7k IIRC, and that was in Feb 2008.

Civic Type R
I did 172, 182, Trophy then 197 Cup. I don't regret replacing my Trophy with the Cup for one second.

It's not really any heavier on fuel, I just think the counter is honest, unlike the 172/182 one. Depending on traffic and how I drive I get anywhere between 27 and 30mpg on my 41 mile round trip commute. I've just cleared 32k in just over 2 years! Saying that, I piled 40k on the Trophy in 2 and a half years!

It's amazing how the Trophy has held it's value. When I sold mine (number 007) I let it go for just over £7k IIRC, and that was in Feb 2008.

Yeah the one thing I like about them is the fact that they hold there money well, it does feel really special when driving about in it too, but the 197 does it for me on the looks.

I could afford to spend about 9.5k on a 197 so hopefully that much money would get me a decent one..

LY R26
i had a R27 and now i have the Trophy, if both were sitting outside i'd be picking up a key card instead of a key tbh.

Needs to have recaros & cup chassis if it is a 197. So either a good spec cup or R27

S2 106 GTI
I love the look of the 197 but when the trophy is cleaned up and the looks you get as you drive through town, I don't regret buying it. IMO they are holding there money really well! and I think more so in a few years, because of the paint ID and how special they are, it will always be a plus side for years to come! :)

On the other side - I'm thinking of selling up in summer/after summer for something different not because I'm sick of the car - just fancy something different........ but in no rush!

clio trophy No56
They Trophy is holding its value well, there is even 197 starting to drop below some of the high priced, low mileaga Trophys.
Also i went from a FF182 to a Trophy and i dont see it as a side step. The handling in the Trophy is much improved over the 182 which is what i like, there for i think its a step up. Also better seats, wheels, spoilers and dampers than a FF182.
If you do go for a 197 get a R27, in Black or Nimbus.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Imo it would have to be a 27 to make it worth changing mate.

Try the 197 before you go any further. I havent driven a 197, but I have driven a 200, and tbh it's not worth the upgrade imo. It's a much bigger car, and from my brief drive in the 200, it feels like a bigger car too.

But thats my opinion, drive one to see what you think :)

Civic Type R
Right just a quick update , drove an r27, and dont get me wrong I loved it, but it terms of performance I dont think its that much bette than the trophy, tbh I thought the trophy felt much more raw and urgent!

Then I took out an r26.... oh my god it felt rapid, and handled sooo well, i fell in love with it. It was up for 12.5' though with is a good 2 to 3k over budget, if it had of been in my budget I would of brought it there and then!!!

I have decided to keep the trophy for now, drove it to wales and back over the weekend and really liked how it felt.. looks like I made the right decision for me in the first place ;)

Thanks for all the advice, glad I took the time to drive one!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
No lol. I had a 197, sold it to boost the house deposit fund. Now got a 172 Cup (previously had one). Sometimes wish i'd just punted for a Tomato, bit more 'special'
:)

Civic Type R
No lol. I had a 197, sold it to boost the house deposit fund. Now got a 172 Cup (previously had one). Sometimes wish i'd just punted for a Tomato, bit more 'special'
:)

Thought the 172 cups were supposed to be pretty special to drive??! I think i only really brought the trophy for the recaro's!!

Titanium 182
I'd have the Trophy. Every single time.

Always knew this man had taste!

I love the look of the 197 but when the trophy is cleaned up and the looks you get as you drive through town, I don't regret buying it. IMO they are holding there money really well! and I think more so in a few years, because of the paint ID and how special they are, it will always be a plus side for years to come! :)

On the other side - I'm thinking of selling up in summer/after summer for something different not because I'm sick of the car - just fancy something different........ but in no rush!

One of the main reasons why I am looking fro one to buy.

The looks!

SG9 Forester STi
It'd be the Trophy for me without a doubt. The 197 is an awesome car and the brakes are something else but it'd always be the Trophy for me if given the choice.