ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy Test Drive

Megane r26

The wife has actually caved in and let me test drive a Trophy on Monday. I am proper excited and i know she will cave in and let me have one but reckon i could end up paying a fortune as i have only had my 182 for 10 months.

The dealer is also bringing it in from another garage am well impressed with them (for once)

so is the trophy worth it?

I was left disappointed with the trophy, I think I probably expected too much from it, it handled no better than my lowered 172 and found the standard seats to hold me in better than the recaros, but I suppose thats a personal thing.

Megane r26

Cheers chaps, have had a look at lots of Trophy threads (been reading this site for ages without registering) and people seem quite positive and i like the idea of owning a limited edition (i had a 172 cup but that wasnt as limited as they said it was going to be) but not sure about the ride and as it will be used for getting to graft most days is it worth losing the toys.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 04 August 2005

I was left disappointed with the trophy, I think I probably expected too much from it, it handled no better than my lowered 172 and found the standard seats to hold me in better than the recaros, but I suppose thats a personal thing.
im with you on this one pete, finally someone else who doesnt think the sun shines out of the Trophys arse!

I wouldnt say i was disappointed though, just thought it was no different from my 182, we had been stick together though as Team Trophy will be along to do us in;)

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 04 August 2005

we had been stick together though as Team Trophy will be along to do us in;)
Right! Listen here you ****s :mad: ;)

No, its good to have different opinions on here. At least youve based yours on having driven the car unlike some people who have just put it down as a marketing gimmick without getting behind the wheel.

All I can say is the handling of the Trophy is in a different league to my 172 on eibach pros, but not everyone has to think the same. At the end of the day they are all great handling cars.

Snakeskin, Im sure the test drive will make your mind up one way or the other.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Nik on 04 August 2005

we had been stick together though as Team Trophy will be along to do us in;)
Right! Listen here you ****s :mad: ;)

No, its good to have different opinions on here. At least youve based yours on having driven the car unlike some people who have just put it down as a marketing gimmick without getting behind the wheel.

All I can say is the handling of the Trophy is in a different league to my 172 on eibach pros, but not everyone has to think the same. At the end of the day they are all great handling cars.
i agree with you Nik, a bit of healthy rivalry never hurt anyone and it is exactly right what you say about the people who seem to think they can have an opinion on something without even trying or driving it.

I never said a work about the Trophy on here until I had driven it as I would be basing my opinion on hearsay or girls aloud:p, i mean theory and other peoples opinions which have probably not been based on actually driving it either.

I dont doubt its very good, I just couldnt feel a difference to my car thats all.

The Jinx

How hard will they let you drive on a test drive? Id like to try one just so I can tell you all its as turd as I think it is, but Id really want to have the thing on 3 wheels if I can.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 04 August 2005
How hard will they let you drive on a test drive? Id like to try one just so I can tell you all its as turd as I think it is, but Id really want to have the thing on 3 wheels if I can.

You would call it a turd no matter what you thought because you just like to start arguments. lol

The Jinx

Damn. You know me too well. Genuine question though about how hard theyll let you rag it. I mean they wont demand you stop and kick you out or anything will they?

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 04 August 2005

see thats exactly what i am talking about, people making up their opinions before they have even driven it!

You would call it a turd no matter what you thought because you just like to start arguments. lol

VaVa

He drives an old banger. I think hes jealous. I love the way hes making him self out to be some hot shot driver too. lol.

The Jinx

Ive driven a mk2 172 before owning my current shed and was left positively underwhelmed by the experience, so Im basing it on something, even if its a little tenuous.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Damn. You know me too well. Genuine question though about how hard theyll let you rag it. I mean they wont demand you stop and kick you out or anything will they?
when i enquired about a 225 test drive at my local dealer they saidi couldnt take it over the speed limit and if I drove it fast they would kick me out and I would have to walk home so I told them to stick it and test drove it properly at brands on track!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Please people who can not tell the difference between the two (172/182/cup) and Trophy are the people who carnt really drive to the limits of the car (safely anyways). A 172 Vs a trophy is very different, big gap on the track.

Trophy owners do have a better handling car.

But maybe not better than mu cup when i get my new suspension..!;)

Ive asked customers on test drives to slow down before. Ultimately its my car, my insurance theyre driving on and some people think its an oppurtunity to impress.

Polo GTi

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 04 August 2005
He drives an old banger. I think hes jealous. I love the way hes making him self out to be some hot shot driver too. lol.

Whats your Missus got to do with the trophy? ;) :p

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 04 August 2005Damn. You know me too well. Genuine question though about how hard theyll let you rag it. I mean they wont demand you stop and kick you out or anything will they?[/QUOTE]when i enquired about a 225 test drive at my local dealer they saidi couldnt take it over the speed limit and if I drove it fast they would kick me out and I would have to walk home so I told them to stick it and test drove it properly at brands on track!

Thats my suspicions. Its a performance car and as such a potential customer should be able to really push it in order to determine whether they think its good enough. Especially if the owner already has experience of anything vaguely sporting as well. Fair enough on the limits thing though.

But if you went for a test drive in a TVR I bet they wouldnt tell you you could only use 1/4 throttle and had to drive it like your gran.

Lee

BMW M2C

When I was buying a 306 GTi-6 2 of the test drives I was allowed to do what I wanted, one asked me to slow down, and another took me through the centre of Birmingham!!!!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Townsend on 04 August 2005

Thats because you cant drive Dave

;)
LOL, theres me praising you in the V6 thread saying you are the only one I know who can drive a V6 well on track and you go and stab me in the back.

If only I had video evidence of me keeping up with you in the 225 with me in the 182 and a passenger around brands, that would keep you quiet;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Thats hardly something to be proud of!

225s are easy prey.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 04 August 2005

Thats hardly something to be proud of!

225s are easy prey.
Jeremy can drive, you on the other hand prefer to drive on the wrong side of the rumble strips.

I was referring to a 225 Trophy anyway and they are not easy at all, on the straights they are away!

well ive got my test of the trophy arranegd for wednesday, already confirmed the route with the dealership, so can test some interesting roads to see how it performs

when i enquired about a 225 test drive at my local dealer they saidi couldnt take it over the speed limit and if I drove it fast they would kick me out and I would have to walk home so I told them to stick it and test drove it properly at brands on track!
Thats because the dealer gets done for speeding as well apparently, unless thats the story that all the dealers are using at the moment. I was told the same when I test drove the 172.

Ive driven a mk2 172 before owning my current shed and was left positively underwhelmed by the experience, so Im basing it on something, even if its a little tenuous.
On standard suspension the 172 lacks feedback and is a bit too soft.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 04 August 2005Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 04 August 2005 Damn. You know me too well. Genuine question though about how hard theyll let you rag it. I mean they wont demand you stop and kick you out or anything will they? [/QUOTE]when i enquired about a 225 test drive at my local dealer they saidi couldnt take it over the speed limit and if I drove it fast they would kick me out and I would have to walk home so I told them to stick it and test drove it properly at brands on track![/QUOTE]Thats because the dealer gets done for speeding as well apparently, unless thats the story that all the dealers are using at the moment. I was told the same when I test drove the 172.

I suppose if you deny it and it cant be proven it was you and not a sales guy then the MD of the dealership would incur the points as is the same with company cars.

The Jinx

In fairness you shouldnt need to speed to get a feel for the car. A local industrial/trading estate with roundabouts would be ideal to get a feel for what it does.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Jeremy can drive, you on the other hand prefer to drive on the wrong side of the rumble strips.
Personal attack!

Personal attack!
Dam, wheres a mod when you need one! lol :p

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 04 August 2005Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 04 August 2005 Jeremy can drive, you on the other hand prefer to drive on the wrong side of the rumble strips.[/QUOTE]Personal attack![/QUOTE]Dam, wheres a good mod when you need one! lol :p

:eek: :p

dk

911 GTS Cab

Personal attack!

Well its true, what more can I say.

Black/Gold 182

When I test drove a 182 the guy didnt say anything about not going over the speed limit, as he did it when he was demonstrating i assumed he didnt mind me doing it