ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy compared to CUP

RenaultSport clio 17
Apologies if this is a tired subject but I have only just signed back in.

I own a 172 Cup and have been thinking about the possibility of going to a Trophy, question is it worth it. Is the Trophy that much better to justify the change. I have tried a 182 standard car and it felt less responsive than the Cup (not trying to be controversial here)

Has anyone out there gone from a 172 Cup to a Trophy. What did you think?

Thanks

106 GTi
The standard response on here will be put some coilovers on your 172!

Did you drive a normal or cupped packed 182?

Unless you really want the trophy for the seats, colour, suspension and exclusivity compared to 172/182 AND dont mind the several thousand it will cost to swap to a very similar car then dont do it. Coilover it and possibly change the seats and wheels and save the money.

MKIII 138
Loony said:
Unless you really want the trophy for the seats, colour, suspension and exclusivity compared to 172/182 AND dont mind the several thousand it will cost to swap to a very similar car then dont do it. Coilover it and possibly change the seats and wheels and save the money.

change the seats in the cup should save weight, look good and offer better protection and driving posisition. then remove rear seats and use harnesses.
to top it off try getting a good deal on some FK coilovers or push the boat out and get some H&R.

im getting some cobra imola for my cup 6.5kg each saving quite a bit on standard seats probably 15-20kg in total. should bring a two seater cup down to 985kg you will realy feel the difference and further improve accelaration.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Cup's far nicer looking, body colour and wheel colour. Seats are s**t, but buy recaro's if you want. And coilovers make it a beta car imo. Plus no silly exhaust out the bak ;)

cock mobile.
It's a lot of dollar for not a lot of change.

Imo it wouldn't be worth it; although I've never actually driven a Trophy, just sat in it.

Seats where very nice tho!

182BG
Keep the car mate, unless you really want a trophy and have all that extra money lying around.

meggerman - im in the middle of deciding to change my seats, was looking at the imola's too, love em! have you still got your standard wheels, because mine are absolutely fucked, so im gonna change them do you know what sort of alloys would be best to save some more weight? how much do the turini's weigh without the tyre?

MKIII 138
lee_cup said:
Keep the car mate, unless you really want a trophy and have all that extra money lying around.

meggerman - im in the middle of deciding to change my seats, was looking at the imola's too, love em! have you still got your standard wheels, because mine are absolutely f**ked, so im gonna change them do you know what sort of alloys would be best to save some more weight? how much do the turini's weigh without the tyre?

8kg`s iirc but there are superleggeras that are lighter look simular but different enough to still look individual some one of here has a cup with them on but i cant find the image ?? someone will post it im sure. think the super leggs are 6.5kg so a good 1.5 x 4 kg saved.

im getting my turinis refurbed in a dark colour as turinis that arent looked after flake and peel easily and look crappy.

http://www.cliosport.net/mkportal/modules/gallery/album/a_225.jpg

should look good like this and much cheaper than new wheels to get refurbed

MKIII 138
... i was looking at imola buckets but cant find any reviews of them. people on here seem to go for the cheaper (£100 each cheaper) Monacos with steel frame. they weigh 9kg each but the imolas are just 6.5kg each ! with carbon ones weighing 5.1kg eek

so i guess its only a 5kg saving and £100 more for the seat ?

still confused as to which to go for in honesty but i dont wanna spend too much as the car is a cheap car with craply put together interior, wouldnt want some heavy leather luxo seats in my tin can

hi guys,

after reading this topic. have a boring old question which yous have probably heard a thousand times.

if i was putting 17's on my clio 172 ...and dropping the suspension around 40 mm with decent quality shocks...is the ride going to be harsh as ? if so how much worse. is it going to drive me nuts from the extra frimness ? will it really handle that much better ? is it really worth it as an every day car ?

or am i just better off waiting for the clio 3 sport ?

u just cant beat that lowered fill out the guards look. it gives a car so much character. and the 15's on my clio just dont give it that look.

so frustrating...

thats wot ive been told quite often. when i was shopping for the car there was 1 in the showroom with after market 18's. man did it look awsome !

but even the salesman sed they were over kill for ride.

crying shame.

back to square 1 i guess.

imo i should wait for the next model...which i quite like.

182BG
meggerman said:
im getting my turinis refurbed in a dark colour as turinis that arent looked after flake and peel easily and look crappy.

i want to get some wheels in that colour too
the owner before me never cleaned them, so i went and asked my neighbour (who works for auto clinic) and he said don't bother throwing money at them, i will give you a catalougue and i can choose some from there. He can get me them really cheap which should be good :)

Lionel Richie
well i refurbed gt_ gaz's wheels

its our own exclusive charcoal colour

4 x 16inch wheels including tyre removal/refit = £180

RenaultSport clio 17
Thanks for the input guys, kind of thought that would be the conclusion.

On the subject of wheels, I agree with any thing over 16" effecting ride and handling. It will also increase your rolling radius if you go to 17", increasing the gearing slighty. In thoery you would be slower on acceleration, not that you would probably notice.

Personally I think the car looks good on 16". Better balanced look. I have dropped mine 30mm with Apex springs and it looks great for it. Ride is not to choppy, though it can be harsh on bad B roads.