ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tracking - why can't garages get it right!

Renaultsport Clio 172
Taken my car to three different garages now (local/Sh*t Fit/Nationwide) of varying sizes to sort my tracking out, as my car is pulling to the right.

Had everything else checked out so it's only a tracking problem. Each time the garages have said "Oh it's pretty out, we've sorted it now" and each time it's either been the same or worse before I took it in!

Figured I'd have to bite the bullet and take it to a hunter-system equipped garage to get it done properly once and for all!

Rant over.

i hate getting the tracking done and am glad we've a Protyre in Bristol, as they're the only outfit i've used who've yet to muck it up. it's such a simple thing, but people just use the wrong values, knackered equipment, or simply don't take the basic level of care required to get it right. i'd buy my own Dunlop gauges if i could really justify it

have you cleaned the pads/calipers up as well? as that can also cause probs

TTRS & V50
I would keep taking it back to the same garage until they get it right, so you've paid three times now ?

'Most' garages won't charge you twice to get it re-done.

As said you need 4 wheel laser align.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
i hate getting the tracking done and am glad we've a Protyre in Bristol, as they're the only outfit i've used who've yet to muck it up. it's such a simple thing, but people just use the wrong values, knackered equipment, or simply don't take the basic level of care required to get it right. i'd buy my own Dunlop gauges if i could really justify it

have you cleaned the pads/calipers up as well? as that can also cause probs

Thats a very good point. Could be a sticky caliper?

Renaultsport Clio 172
Yeah, pads and calipers have been sorted. Going to have a trip tomorow morning to Autostop who have a Hunter system, fingers crossed itll be sorted!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It wouldn't align if anything was bent if they keep aligning it saying it's right and the next place say it's way out then you have suspension bent... fact.

Oh and wheel balance is one of the worst underlying problems for cars pulling to one side, if the alignment is really okay then get your tyres balanced.

Hrmmm my car needs doing - since i fitted my new OMP steering wheel the whole thing is a few degrees out (yes the wheel is in the right place on the column!)

There's a place in lincoln with a hunter system - are they really that good?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
A certain Protyre said my rear tracking needed to be sorted.

They could do it for £80. Which is interesting.

you don't need fancy equipment - all any of them do is set the toe between the front wheels, as that's all that's adjustable. the relationship is between the two front wheels and involving the rears is irrelevant

bunch of things that could be affecting it but really wouldn't surprise me if all three you've tried so far have just tried to set the wheels parallel

you can do it yourself with string, but it's just one of those things that most (including myself) take to have done 'properly'

Rusty Cup
mine does the same, pulls to the right even after having the tracking done but im almost certain something is bent but cant be arsed to sort it lol

Its handy when i wanna turn right but cant be arsed to turn the wheel :p

Get a fourwheel alignment done on the car.

You will have a print out of what the alignment is set at then.

Sweet :)

Could be worth asking while it's up on the ramps about what changing the settings slightly will do - could make it more twitchy or more relaxed, depending on your driving style :)

M

mini-valver

You can use all your laser alignment or Dunlop guages until your hearts content but the only properly accurate way is to use strings. Individual toe FTW.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
You can use all your laser alignment or Dunlop guages until your hearts content but the only properly accurate way is to use strings. Individual toe FTW.
Set me mine up sometime Dave? Understeers a little atm (not to bad though) think i need to raise the rear and lower the front more lol