ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Day Preparation

Ive just booked my first track day with my MK2 172. I want to get the best out of the car so does anyone have any advice on setting up the car e.g. tyre preassure, engine setup and any other tips?

Renault Laguna Coupe

Check all your levels, tyres + 3 or 4 PSI above normal. Remove anything from the interior thats not bolted down. Have fun!

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels

Dam....quite a few of us are at Oulton Park on Saturday.

Lee

BMW M2C

Something I forgot the first time I went on track was a top with long sleeves.:oops:

Welcome to Cliosport.

Unlucky... Its my first track day ever so really want enjoy it and get the best out of the ca without damaging anything!

telford_mike thanks for the advice...

Lee

BMW M2C

Its advisable to tape up your lights and they will also require you to attach your towing eye.

See if you can get some time with an Instructior or someone who can show you the lines - itll really help....

Also, just chill out and work up to faster laps later in the day when youve got a bit more confidence.

Have fun and wish I was ther in my car.

Ah well next year.......

;)

Yeah already paid for instructor so hoping to learn qiute a few new tricks... Really looking forward to it

Great forum by the way...

I wouldnt bother with the lights as it just leaves a mess on the car.

If you up the pressures make sure you check them at the end of the session when the tyres are hot as they may be too high especially the fronts.

Dont worry about taking it easy for the first few sessions, people dont mind slower drivers as long as they use their mirrors and move over.

If they use cones (turn in, apex, exit) use them to find the right line through the corners and build the speed up as you get more confident.

Be careful when overtaking and when being overtaken as in my experience this is the time when a lot of people forget their braking points and lose control.

DONT forget your driving license

Have fun, the clio is a great track car.

172, Tiguan

Exactly as the other have said, just pace yourself, be smooth.

Take few tools you think youll need and a few you think you wont need and youll be fine.

Have a great day.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

telford mike i always thought the pressures adjustment was a - not + because of the heat generated is quite a bit more than the road and that will increase the pressures even more if all that makes scense

Lee

BMW M2C

I was told to increase the pressures to prevent the tyres from being pulled off the rims under extremely hard cornering.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by M.C.. on 07 December 2004

telford mike i always thought the pressures adjustment was a - not + because of the heat generated is quite a bit more than the road and that will increase the pressures even more if all that makes scense
Need to increase them to prevent the tyres rolling off the rims as Lee said. We run lower pressures on slicks, as they generate more friction and therefore more heat, but road tyres have much softer tyre walls (to give a comfortable ride) so they need higher pressures.

Lee

BMW M2C

It works with cars on the 1/4 mile as it puts more surface area onto the tarmac, on track you run the risk of the tyre coming off the rim.

To be honest, I didnt bother at Silverstone and that was a really hot day, and I didnt bother at Spa or the Nurburgring. I will next time though as the fronts did roll over quite a lot and I even managed to wear the Michellin mans head off on the sidewall!!

http://www.leemather.plus.com/cliosport/Spa2004/Spa/Spa090.htmlPiccy

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 07 December 2004
I was told to increase the pressures to prevent the tyres from being pulled off the rims under extremely hard cornering.

Is that blood pressure you are talking about? :p

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Quote: Originally posted by M.C.. on 07 December 2004

ok

i was just thinking what my mates did to their tyres when they did a trackday on their bikes im sure they let some air out but it may be different on bikes
yeah when i do bike track days i always drop the pressures 2-3 front 4-4 rear..

i was under the impression you dropped them in car trackdays too. personally i would. only pump them up if its a wet day..

My advice would be to leave them at normal road pressure then go out and do some hard laps, check the pressures when you come back in and see how much higher they are. I would then set the "hot" pressure 2 or 3 psi above road settings to stiffen up the tyres a bit. I dont think you can give a definative cold setting because everbodys tyres will reach different temperatures due to cornering and braking forces, its more important that the pressure is correct when your going for it on the track and not sat in the pits.