ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track car / run around advice required

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Not been on here for a few years since selling my 182, but I know this place is a great source of knowledge and information so I'm back for advice on a new car.

I'm looking to get back into Clio ownership with a second car / track car project. My current car (BMW M6) is a little too thirsty as a daily driver and I like the idea of doing a few track days so need a car that can do both, with more emphasis on the track aspect. I've onwed a few modified cars, so having something pretty hardcore on the road doesn't phase me.

My budget is around £3K for the car plus possibly the same again for modifications, or I could possibly buy something already modified for the track if the right car comes along, open to adivce on this.

My questions are mainly, what car to start with, 172 Cup jumps out at me, but a stripped standard 172 could be just as good? Also what are the important modifications... coilovers obviously, but what next? Are the standard brakes up to the job on the track? I seem to remember them fading fairly fast on the road at times. Does stripping the rear seats and trim really save much weight?

One last question on the seats... I'm fairly tall at 6'2 and remember even with the Recaro's in my old 182, I still felt far too high. Can buckets be fixed much lower than this and is it an easy job?

Sorry for all the questions, any advice welcome :)

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Thanks Gray, shameless plug of your advert, but very nice example! :) The custom subframes sounds ideal.

My only question with a car like this would be... what are these engines like over 100K miles if properly looked after?

340i
;)

My engine is still very strong (they genuinely seem to get better with more miles!!)

Producing 188bhp still... pulls brilliantly through EVERY gear:) like anything, if looked after they will keep going and going. I have changed the oil in mine every 4 - 5K and always dropped it after a track day...

It doesn't burn a drop either, never had to top it up between changes, always properly warmed up before "spirited" driving :)

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I guess I better add to your list of watchers on ebay then ;)

Without searching through al your previous posts, do you have any interior shots of the car?

500 Twinair
Just buy a well serviced ph1 172, fit bucket seats, brake upgrades and good suspension like H&R or beilstein etc, and it will be as good as a 172 cup in the handling stakes.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just buy a well serviced ph1 172, fit bucket seats, brake upgrades and good suspension like H&R or beilstein etc, and it will be as good as a 172 cup in the handling stakes.

Much better off buying one with those bits already fitted. And it won't be as good as a cup. It'll be better!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
So am I right in saying that for a track car you would pick a ph1 over a ph2 or is this purely because of my low-ish budget?

I agree finding an example already track modified would be the best solution money-wise :)

340i
Ph-1

Cable throttle...

Lighter when stripped...

Looks better... ;)

Mine has KW v2 suspension, bucket seats, 4-point harnesses, good brakes etc. etc. (its perfect for you, even if I do say so myself ;))

340i
dsc_0117.jpg

866-dsc_0002.jpg

A few random ones from the road trip :)

340i
to build one to "my" spec from a standard PH-1 would easily go over 3K :dead: plus the purchase of the original car...

KW v2's £1100

Whiteline rear ARB £130

engine mounts £170

polly bushes £100

gearbox rebuild + new clutch + lightened flywheel + all other associated items £600

harnesses £300

bucket seats £600

custom subframes + sidemounts £100

Thats over 3K listing just a few of them items on the car... I've just gone a little light headed LOL

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?517096-Flame-red-172-track-road-car-%A32799&highlight=

Hero's spec on a ph1!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
to build one to "my" spec from a standard PH-1 would easily go over 3K :dead: plus the purchase of the original car...

KW v2's £1100

Whiteline rear ARB £130

engine mounts £170

polly bushes £100

gearbox rebuild + new clutch + lightened flywheel + all other associated items £600

harnesses £300

bucket seats £600

custom subframes + sidemounts £100

Thats over 3K listing just a few of them items on the car... I've just gone a little light headed LOL

Madness to think people are buying standard ph1's to modify, over ours. Probably because we didn't fit racelands and turinis.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Thanks for all the information Gray. Certainly fits my bill nicely and I've defintiely got no problem buying a well looked after modified car over a standard one! I also realised straight away that your mods went well over 3K :)

Brownbear, that's just teasing seeing as it's now sold ;)

Madness to think people are buying standard ph1's to modify, over ours. Probably because we didn't fit racelands and turinis.

People like to do things themselves though.

You could have bought one that had stuff done to it, so could Gray probably. But people like the project aspect and seeing things progress.

E90

You could have bought one that had stuff done to it, so could Gray probably. But people like the project aspect and seeing things progress.

I have done the project twice now, both time similar costs

Golf gti 900 quid

spax RSX coilovers 600

OMP Cage 300

OMP RS seats 300

harness and steering wheel, 400

anti roll bar 300

lightened flywheel, New rad, new clutch, bearings and joints, polybushes, new disks and yellow stuff pads, and braided lines, Plus one very skilled man to prep the car, weld, fit and spray cage and all of the above parts

2300 pounds.

All in 5100 pounds.

Buy that clio fit cage, DONE!

340i
I know where your coming from Revels... mine was COMPLETELY standard when I purchased it, was a fun, frustrating, fore filling, even maddening at some times.. But I enjoyed building the car :)

It would be a shame for the car to go to a 17yr old scrote who will write it off in 2 weeks*

*stereotyping much LOL?

340i
A cage is the only thing missing from this to complete it... If I had not of brought the megane it would be caged up now for sure!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Mine was massively cheap at the time, because it was half unpainted. That was the only reason I went for it. Had one been available with all the bits done I would of had it!

MK1 Mexico, Clio 172
A cage is the only thing missing from this to complete it... If I had not of brought the megane it would be caged up now for sure!

Hindsights a wonderful thing..... er perhaps i should have bought pre modified. How much mechanical know how did you have before embarking... what i'm getting at is for example could a numpty fit the KW coilovers?

E90
Yes, but you need to know what you are doing or you'll end up with a compressed spring in the face. I have fitted suspension and I'm a numpty, I have now learned though, and just pay someone else to scrape the skin off their knuckles. A pro should do the setting up of the coilovers, I told my man what I wanted, and he was 100% dead on.

MK1 Mexico, Clio 172
Yes, but you need to know what you are doing or you'll end up with a compressed spring in the face. I have fitted suspension and I'm a numpty, I have now learned though, and just pay someone else to scrape the skin off their knuckles. A pro should do the setting up of the coilovers, I told my man what I wanted, and he was 100% dead on.

Thought that might be the case, i was trying to fool myself it would be an achievement.....i have no patience and will loose my rag in ten minutes.

E90
It aint hard, until you have a ball joint that won't pop, then you knacker a boot getting it off, then you go to motorspares for another, then you knacker the one on the other side, and go back again LOL The spring compressors are the only dodgy thing, its like a bomb disposal man removing a live hand grenade, if they aint done reet LOL

BMW M5 & E36
Another shameless plug of Grays Ph1, it's a genuinely good and quick car built to an excellent spec, with a rediculously strong engine!

Re. the spring compressors, just buy a new set of top mounts to go on the coilovers and you don't need to touch the awful things :star:

BMW M5 & E36
OEM springs off dampers? No need if you're not going to be reusing the top mount. The whole unit can come off the car as one; undo top nut and two bolts out the hub.

RS RIP
@ Gray !

I read your ad ; you ARE going to be sorry to sell that nicely looked after track beauty , and at a great loss too :dapprove:

RS RIP
haha well no thanks, i live in Hoofddorp and yeah actually always on the lookout for something else (as Hoofddorp is just ehh.. Hoofddorp) but Sittard is'nt the region i'd be looking ;)

I was just wondering where and when you go out for track days as i know you've been around.. I am thinking more + more of shedding my Cup (got a shed for it?) and just do track with it , i have a daily driver so maybe wanting to cuT in some daily/monthly costs.

I am very near Zandvoort, where were/are your frequent track locations ?

Sorry , maybe better to keep the thread clean and pm

E90
I practically live at the Nurburgring, But Zandvoort is one of the best tracks in europe imo, after that Zolder and the King SPA. Quite a few trackdays are run at SPA by people like Circuit days.co.uk Speak to Darren, He'd more more than happy to have you there, Not sure when the next one is.

RS RIP
Yeah i read about you and Nick172cup going to the ring quite often, maybe not together but i think he was also there lots

I ALMOST went to Zandvoort (15 minute drive) two months ago , we had signed up but due to not enough sign-ups it was called off. We were supposed to have a go in a Corvette z6 of a friend (maybe wrong in the type here but it's fast)

Why is Zandvoort good you think ?

340i
Another shameless plug of Grays Ph1, it's a genuinely good and quick car built to an excellent spec, with a rediculously strong engine!

Re. the spring compressors, just buy a new set of top mounts to go on the coilovers and you don't need to touch the awful things :star:

:D Cheers dude!!!

@ Gray !

I read your ad ; you ARE going to be sorry to sell that nicely looked after track beauty , and at a great loss too :dapprove:

Tell me about it... the joys of modifying a car :( It has been fun though and I have had my full use of it! :)

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Right, been having a little think and I have decided I want a nice example ph1 for sub £3K. Sounds not a lot to ask for, but it's amazing how many seem to have either been modified (badly) or have too high miles for what I'm after. So if anyone knows of any, preferably in the South East then please let me know. I have cash burning a hole in my pocket. :)

@Gray - I am still keeping a close eye on your car on ebay, but like Revels said, I like the idea of modifying myself and having a project car. Seeing and feeling the improvements on every track day is what I had in mind!