ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyo Proxies T1-R 195 50 15 seem rubbish?

Clio 182
Just thought i'd share my experience with everyone with my toyo's.

Just swapped my standard 182 alloys with decent khumo's on. Drive was perfect, I could chuck it wherever I liked. I swapped to OZ f1 15" with brand new toyo t1r's all round after hearing good things, went for a drive with some much more powerful machinery to which I just didn't feel confident on toyo's at all. I usually managed before, but toyo's struggled with straight light speed and fast long bends. With the Khumo's on 16" I could go flat out round some long bends and get lift of oversteer if I wasn't careful, the toyo's just couldn't cope whatsoever, even the back end was coming out which I've never experienced much in the clio.
Not sure if I just need to wear them in a little, planning on checking the pressure later.

Is this normal? What's everyone experience with toyo's or brand new tyres?

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
I swear by the Toyo's on my Williams. They're poor in the wet, but when the sun's out they're epic.
Pilot Sport 3's on the 182...

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I've read T1Rs are top of the range budgets, from what I gather they're not amazing in terms of handling but I've never heard of anything as severe as what you're experiencing.

Lower pressures and wear them in?

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
i had uniroyals on and they were outstanding .. the way i drive and the fact i have camber and my trackings probs out they are pretty much nearly done within 4 months. the grip is epic thought even in the wet

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
i had uniroyals on and they were outstanding .. the way i drive and the fact i have camber and my trackings probs out they are pretty much nearly done within 4 months. the grip is epic thought even in the wet

I've just had these put on the civic.

The previous Bridgestones were pitiful (se???) it'd understeer on and off the throttle. The rain sports have completely changed the ride!

It's a massive shame they didn't sort out the wallowy suspension :( lol

Clio 182
I've read T1Rs are top of the range budgets, from what I gather they're not amazing in terms of handling but I've never heard of anything as severe as what you're experiencing.

Lower pressures and wear them in?

I'll wear them in a bit, see how they do? Weather was stunning yesterday as well, so I was confused. Think i'll change them if required, they were fairly cheap as tyres go. I got them thinking they were top of the range budgets myself after reading on here how much they are rated. I'll check the pressure when before I go out later.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'll wear them in a bit, see how they do? Weather was stunning yesterday as well, so I was confused. Think i'll change them if required, they were fairly cheap as tyres go. I got them thinking they were top of the range budgets myself after reading on here how much they are rated. I'll check the pressure when before I go out later.

They must need running in or something because thinking back, I've been in a 182 which was piloted quite enthusiastically and it showed no signs of wanting to kill me. Running T1Rs

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I use kumho ecstas on the road. Are perfectly up to the job and certainly not ditch finders. £47 a corner at the moment.

Listerine & Poledo
Proxies seem to have blu-tac sidewalls, as far as I've found.
They'll grip...to a point. At which point they just fold over and give up entirely.

This is for 205/45/16. Replaced with Eagle F1s, which was a worthwhile extra spend.

Clio 182
Anybody know the correct pressure for ozf1's checked round and they have 39psi! Seems way too much! Thinking 30-32 max? I'll definitely work with them for a few hundred miles though.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Anybody know the correct pressure for ozf1's checked round and they have 39psi! Seems way too much! Thinking 30-32 max? I'll definitely work with them for a few hundred miles though.
Pressure is specific to the tyre and weight of car rather than wheels mate. But on a 172 you're commonly going to be using 32 front 30 back with a road tyre. You might let a bit out for slicks and can put a bit more in to preserve your sidewalls on a trackday for example.

39 does sound a bit high though.

Edit: I would also add that I loathe Toyo T1Rs, they are one of the worst tyres I've had on a car, excluding the Dunlop Lemans that came on my old MX5 when I bought it, though I suspect they were fitted because drift.

If you want to go quickly, I can't recommend Pilot Sport 3s enough. They're predictable and reliable and last a relatively long time whilst giving good performance.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

Had you just driven after the car's been parked in the sun or has the car been in the shade all day and not moved..

Check it first thing in the morning.

Cup In bits
Toyo t1-s and t1-r or their other budget range topping tyres need a heat cycle or two put through them first, you'll see the blue'ing of the tread edges once they've started to release the manufacturing oils.

At that stage and with the right pressure, come back and re write your review. It will have changed for sure, by no means a wet weather tyre though. Better than other budget range topping summer tyre like the Yokohama Parada's

Clio 182
Toyo t1-s and t1-r or their other budget range topping tyres need a heat cycle or two put through them first, you'll see the blue'ing of the tread edges once they've started to release the manufacturing oils.

At that stage and with the right pressure, come back and re write your review. It will have changed for sure, by no means a wet weather tyre though. Better than other budget range topping summer tyre like the Yokohama Parada's
Will do! thanks for the info

I have had T1-R's on a couple of cars. My Nissan 200SX and on my Fiat Bravo.
On the Nissan they seemed terrible with very poor wet grip, where as on the Fiat they seemed reasonable, but then it only had 86BHP

I wouldn't buy them again, they are an old pattern now and there are better tyres for the money.

Track 172 Cup
I only paid £45 a corner for my Michelin PS3 in 195/50/15 from mytyres.com and they have been great on road and on track when I've used them they are much better than the Toyo T1 I have used although they were on my r32 so had AWD too hide the poor grip you would get with only 2 wheels working.

Never had a problem with T1R's in the wet - outright grip isn't the best, but they are very good for aquaplaning resistance and a gentle breakaway.

One thing about T1-Rs is that they have very soft sidewalls which can feel a little disconcerting at first - give them +3psi over standard and see how you feel. The soft sidewalls is the reason they're not favoured for heavy cars, but they work nicely on light cars like Clios, MX5s etc. I've had 3 sets now and they're great. Shame they're discontinued now though!

Clio 182
Small update:
Done about 600 miles on these now, more responsive in the 'twisties'(cliosport,2015) but still struggling in a straight line. Little feeling in the front tbh. Best word to describe the feeling is spongey when twitching the steering wheel slightly in a straight line.