ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Towing broken cars?

Hi, im just about to go and pick up a non starting clio fro free off a friend. Does anyone know what i will have to have (ie. insurance/tax etc?) to "drive" the car being towed behind my friends jeep? Also does the towing vehicle need anything other than insurance and a license and tax? thanks

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
The towed vehicle must comply exactly as it would need to if it was under its own power.

If its a short distance that could be argued is a recovery, use the towed vehicles hazard lights to warn other drivers. Its a good idea to put an "ON TOW" sign on the back of the vehicle.

Over a greater distance, the towing vehicles number plate and lighting system must be showing on the rear of the towed vehicle. Trailer boards are ideal for this.

If you have never been towed before, familiarise yourself with the technique or you will end up with a lot of busted rope and probably a damaged car or two.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
tell me about the busted rope. bust two ropes whislt driving my mates tt to the audi garage lol. he was not impressed.

CB600FS
Buy a towing bar with a damper built into it. Best thing I ever did, all my mates, and infact anyone I've ever towed was completely useless.

Basically its not just hook them up and drive, the car behind has to look ahead and break for the car in front, so theres never any slack in the rope, so when you pull off you don't get a 'bang' and a snapped rope. If its only a few miles you'll be alright.

Disco + Trailer + Manpower is loads easier though still.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
nah i ain't... did use to drive a luton box van for work many moons ago though...