ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top mount not sitting right

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
Hi guys bit of expertise needed here.

I tried to put on some coilovers on the weekend but couldn't for the life of me get the top mount undone.

Ended up snapping the female torq socket in the top of the strut.

Anyway I tried to loosen just by turning the nut on top of the strut, hoping it might work loose, but it seemed to turn everything.

I gave up deciding I will get a garage to loosen it with a impact wrench next week.

Realised today that the top mounts were sitting like this.

aqu5y7eh.jpg

3yme4e3e.jpg

Is this bad to drive, I'm guessing I have loosened the strut, but not sure, not sure how much thread this sits on.

Any help appreciated!

Clio182
I asked the same question on here two days ago mate ! I'm new to 182's and apparently this is normal!

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
Ah thanks very much guys! I didn't realise they had been like this, probably because the car was jacked were jacked up when I was going at them!

Try undoing the top mount nut with the car on the ground. Sometimes the extra friction due to the weight of the car on the strut can stop the damper shaft (the bit with the external thread and a female torx in the centre) spinning in the tube whilst you spanner.

Probably worth a very quick go just on the off chance it works.