ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toe in rear axle

Clio 172
Hi there,

I just bought a clio 2 172 for trackdays. It currently has a toe in on the rear axle of 2.5 mm on both sides. So in total 5 mm… Front I have a slight toe out which is fine.

What is recommended for rear toe for the 172? I am just starting to drive so a beginner I would say.

Cheers!

Jan

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Maybe as a beginner you would like to first get used to the car and her reactions to see what you would like more.
It also depends on how the car is tuned..if its completely stock or modified.
on mine I have shims for opening up rear toe (1 deg each) and also for giving camber, but my car is heavily tuned, she has a pms rear arb, AST 5100 shocks with caster top mounts, widened front subframe, lsd and a lot of other track oriented things.
the back help a lot the car to turn in, running with AR1 tires for my style driving I can say it has no understeer at all on corner enter, a lot of turn it..to the exent to be very very sensitive on gas lift or braking, easy to put it sideways, but also very predictable and smooth doing it.

Clio 172
Thanks! Yes my clio is not so much modified. On the front I run a slight toe out and half a degree negative camber. I ordered now 4 camberplates of 1 degree each for the rear to get a bit less toe in on the back. I have now 2.5 toe in on each side. Do you know if this is way too much? It would cause understeer or not?

The alignement guy said that a lot of toe in on the rear makes the rear a bit nerveus and would be likely to break out. But is this not the case with toe out on the rear?

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Thanks! Yes my clio is not so much modified. On the front I run a slight toe out and half a degree negative camber. I ordered now 4 camberplates of 1 degree each for the rear to get a bit less toe in on the back. I have now 2.5 toe in on each side. Do you know if this is way too much? It would cause understeer or not?

The alignement guy said that a lot of toe in on the rear makes the rear a bit nerveus and would be likely to break out. But is this not the case with toe out on the rear?
Hello! Sorry for late reply.
I don't think its too much.
I had 1deg toe out plate (each side) even when my car was not so track tailored and always had a lot of fun.

Opening the toe (not closing) on the rear will make the car more nervous and more on the break out side.

From my experience opening the rear will surely help making the rear more "live" so less understeer at front.. but beware it also depends a lot on the suspensions.

If you have nice suspensions which can "tell you" whats going on its a good thing to do..
If you have more "deaf" suspension like oem I will beware a bit doing it because it may become too unstable and dangerous.

On my car I can tell you that thanks to that, to rear pms arb and very harsh springs (on ast5100) the rear is easily going around nicely helping a lot the turn in and even if it goes out too much its so buttery smooth that seems to receive a phone call telling he is about to go. So totally under control.

I never tried those geometries with oem suspensions.. so I cannot tell you that much.

Clio 172
Thanks and no worries! Ja right now I have a pretty stiff coilover kit from TA Technics. Nothing fancy but it is pretty stiff. The toe in on the rear is 5mm so 2.5 per side. I can buy shims to adjust the toe. There are shims of 1 degree or 10 or 30 minutes. Do you have an idea how to convert this to the 2.5 mm per side which I have to correct?