ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
null_zps003d98b7.jpg

spent the majority of saturday passing moo tools so saw a lot of this coming together, really nice work. Seems like its coming on even more yesterday
however, the other end of the workshop is better looking...

182cup & 172 racecar
Beaniemoo I spotted one of you guy's the other week at the A1 r'about, towing a blue clio. I was in the big black sprinter van on my way to Dans to pick up my car.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
HELLO!
Right been finishing the looms off ready to transport over to Dan for him to fit the engine

Dash loom all taped up

null_zpse9fe017b.jpg

Tail end loom

null_zpsc80f5a99.jpg

Car mostly built up and ready to go on the trailer
Needing an engine

null_zps669412e0.jpg

Battery through panel to safely get the battery feed safely into the engine bay

null_zpsdba43205.jpg

Dash mostly built up. I've left the top off as I had to find a wiring diagram for the rev counter and shift light so I can put a plug on them (the dash loom already has a plug connection in it for the rev counters)

null_zpsedfe2247.jpg

null_zps387e2421.jpg

Ready to go

null_zpsf71a7230.jpg

null_zps3c9e8730.jpg

null_zpsbf2c6a82.jpg

Loading on the trailer
Electric power steering made this so much easier

null_zps51a47e7b.jpg

Off on its way to Dan!

null_zps3abfa1cf.jpg

2 pin plug connection has been fitted into the front end loom and comes out in the n/s inner arch, fused in the fusebox ready for the transponder
The power steering box needs mounting to the bulkhead on the o/s of the steering colunm and would probably be best if Dan gives the car a once over

Hope you like the work and enjoy your car, annoyed that I won't be in the country to see how it goes.
I'll drop the engine loom and top of dash off with Dan post haste (once they're done)

Moo @ BeanieSport

Great work Moo, liking it a alot!

On another note we withdrew our entry for the FT Brands race on the 29th June today, things just were going to be rushed and having learnt from events in the past there is always the next race. A pity but it always was going to be tight.

Haven't made any more test day\track day\race plans, waiting to get the car home then will go from there, seems the more sensible step.

Cup In bits
Nice work again moo and I bet your chuffed Pete.

I would love an interior loom and control box made for mine come time, I could bring it down and then tie it in with a Brands race next year when its picked up.

Looking good guys :) Interesting how differently you have done the loom compared to Rhys', whats the main reasons for the changes? Budget or client spec?

Whats the white connector for? Engine loom? Does it have any form of weather seal as I can't say i've seen connectors like those with any? Just worried if its for such critical functions with no protection

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
very different car, there's a LOT more functions than Rhys's which was also a more "showy" assembly. The work thats gone in to replicating some of the functions that the UCH used to control has been extensive.
White plug is an OE one, so it will be fine. It's for connecting ECU loom to body loom (gauge sensor feeds etc) Exactly the same fuction it performed on a stock car. Stop over thinking ;)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
White plug is an OE one, so it will be fine. It's for connecting ECU loom to body loom (gauge sensor feeds etc) Exactly the same fuction it performed on a stock car. Stop over thinking ;)

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't that white plug usually located in the engine bay relay/fuse box? If so I'd say its hardly weather proof at all tbh. It's protected from the elements to some extent by the fuse/relay box. Or am I mistaking it? Either way I'm sure it'll be fine in a race car.

Looking good guys :) Interesting how differently you have done the loom compared to Rhys', whats the main reasons for the changes? Budget or client spec?

Whats the white connector for? Engine loom? Does it have any form of weather seal as I can't say i've seen connectors like those with any? Just worried if its for such critical functions with no protection

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't that white plug usually located in the engine bay relay/fuse box? If so I'd say its hardly weather proof at all tbh. It's protected from the elements to some extent by the fuse/relay box. Or am I mistaking it? Either way I'm sure it'll be fine in a race car.

Engine loom, binned off the Neptune connector for costs, this was mine already. Yes it did use to live in the black engine bay fuse box, it's more exposed now as it's outside of the fuse box but should be fine.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
A few "in progress" pictures

temp sensors fitted for gauges
IMG_20130621_191213_zps60b997fc.jpg

IMG_20130621_191204_zps041ffcb6.jpg

Had to use a T-piece due to the extra size of the modine heat exchanger rather than screwing the sensor straight into the block.
IMG_20130621_191158_zpsf43902e3.jpg

Engine loom all built and in place.
IMG_20130623_154440_zps6cfbfd91.jpg

IMG_20130623_154351_zps3a42389f.jpg

IMG_20130623_154304_zps4a82411d.jpg

Thanks Dan, thinking maybe I should've cleaned up the bay a bit more and painted a few other parts (not that I painted the block). Had plenty of time too.

Anyways, made print, that's Tony holding Sam up in the picture.

WP_20130622_015_zpsd7dec690.jpg

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
well the blocks painted, and the head etc has all been acid cleaned. just not blinged up. It's all actually pretty clean (apart form a few bits needing a wipe over), just the hoses make it look worse. I even had the header tank sat with bleach in it overnight to get some of the scum out. I've a few bits of paint to splash around yet though, don't worry

Been sorting some dates out for testing and races as the Cup will be finished before Sat 13th July,

Booked on the Javelin Cadwell session on the 24th July

Race (FT) at Cadwell 31st August

Javelin day at Donninigton 16th September (or may do a Doninigton Test day)

Race (FT) at Donnington 20th October

I did buy a ticket for The RS day at Bedford on the 5th July but bought before getting an update from Dan, so Dan's taking his 197 instead. I'm still coming for a ride and drive of a new RS.

We're away on holiday in August for a couple weeks so cannot do the FT Mallory race, which is a shame as there will be a good mix of RS's there it seems.

Spent a bit of time with Dan yesterday - to help bring down the list of little irritating\time consuming little jobs which on their own don't amount to much but when there's a whole raft of them...

Sooooo,

The dash bottom and top along with central switch box and EPAS ecu are now all fastened and secure (about 6 little jobs to complete)
Rear loom all back inside of the rear left and right quarter panels, out the way and P clipped where required

Checked all the functions, EPAS - (this is a good mod, £80 well spent!) cut off switches, power to gauge panel\gauges work (those that don't need a running engine)

Gave it all a good look over when back on the ramps - nothing amiss, ah except a heat shield

All that's left now;

Fit driveshafts
Engine oil
Gearbox oil - still at Beaniespoort HQ, who are now in Turkey (at £70 a fill I put in a container & left with car)
Coolant
Air box - still at Beaniespoort HQ, who are now in Turkey
Fit inlet sensor
Fit connector to ? (forgotten which one )
Fit transponder - will do at later date, still not got one yet

And Map!

Just got on a Thruxton VXR performance school day later this month - £195 for 3 1\2 hours in a track\race prepped Corsa with 1 to 1 instruction for the whole time (or just there to make sure I don't turn of the ABS etc). Normally these days (only 4 people in the morning and 4 in the afternoon) are snapped up the moment the dates are published, must have been lucky to check when I did. Either way, cheap track time and not in my car.

These days sre spot on Pete. Sounds good.

Can't wait, it's a day or two before we head out to Cadwell so bit of prep for that.

Sam's made a cake for Scarlett's 6th Birthday this weekend, Spiderman (Batman was a close 2nd) is the man of the moment - not a doll, princess or fairy in sight.

S6bcake_zps72c80485.jpg

​Bedford RS eve tonight, looking forward to that even though not taking the cup.

Clio 172
Just got on a Thruxton VXR performance school day later this month - £195 for 3 1\2 hours in a track\race prepped Corsa with 1 to 1 instruction for the whole time (or just there to make sure I don't turn of the ABS etc). Normally these days (only 4 people in the morning and 4 in the afternoon) are snapped up the moment the dates are published, must have been lucky to check when I did. Either way, cheap track time and not in my car.

Don't you need to own a VXR? Excellent cake btw my son loves Spiderman and I look forward to seeing you tonight (do you also touch knee's when a passenger?)

Don't you need to own a VXR? Excellent cake btw my son loves Spiderman and I look forward to seeing you tonight (do you also touch knee's when a passenger?)

Name's on a V5 for a Astra VXR for a mate (I hope, not actually checked to see if it still is, not had a mail saying not allowed to the event... yet) - long story -woman involved etc.
Thanks, cake's are getting bigger as Harry and Scarlett get older, I wait too see what Harry gets for his 9th birthday later this year.

Yes, fair few going tonight and hopefully put a lot of names to faces then forget all names to faces tomorrow, any touching has to be mid corner.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Running and idling (briefly, got to get a shorter aux belt on my way to Palmers) off for some dull 197 fun we go then.....