ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To mod or not to mod...

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I'm considering whether I need a K-Tec exhaust, sports cat, K-Tec ITG Maxogen induction kit and K-Tec (or RSTuning) remap.
Now according to the K-Tec site (http://www.k-tecracing.com/catalogue.asp?app=Clio 197) , and this has all been dyno proven apparently, the K-Tec exhaust is worth 7bhp (and 5lbs/ft), the ITG is worth 5bhp, they don't specify for the cat, but it's a 100 cell one (the Miltek sports cat in 200 cell) so must be worth what, 5bhp? And the remap allegedly offers 9bhp (and a peak of 20lbs/ft). Now, adding all this up would give 26bhp and at least 25lbs/ft (no figures for the cat and ITG) according to the figures. Whilst I find a gain that large from such simple mods VERY hard to beleive, it would suggest that maybe 15bhp is possible? The RSTuning map is allegedly even better - live mapped on their rolling road, one guy on Clio197.net saw a gain of +40lbs/ft peak low down!

Ideally I'd like to hear a car with the exhaust, hear a car with the ITG, then hear a car with both to see how loud they were, as I don't want it loud - maybe just a little more purposeful sounding heh. On a further note, the performance at the moment is more than acceptable, I just enjoy the modding hehe, and feel it could do with just a slightly more purposeful noise :p

Thoughts/opinions/abuse?

Dan

Evo 6, E92 320d
This months Performance French Car has got KTecs 197 in it and shows all the stuff they have done and what gains etc, might be worth a read to help your desicion.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
This months Performance French Car has got KTecs 197 in it and shows all the stuff they have done and what gains etc, might be worth a read to help your desicion.

Ooo cheers for that, I'll try source a copy :)

Edde - Yea that's what the head says as it does drive beautifully heh! Thing is I enjoy the modding, and I didn't dare on the Vee because of how rare they are etc, I didn't wanna bugger up the resale hehe :) I'm a wuss like that.

BMW E46 330i Touring
It all adds up to a lot of money for slight gains. It'll probably make it more fun to drive, but as you've said you love it so much already, why not enjoy it as it is and slowly add performance to it as and when you feel the need?

If you do it all now, you'll only crave more 6 months later.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
It all adds up to a lot of money for slight gains. It'll probably make it more fun to drive, but as you've said you love it so much already, why not enjoy it as it is and slowly add performance to it as and when you feel the need?

If you do it all now, you'll only crave more 6 months later.

Hmm yea that is a really good point to be fair. Maybe I'll listen to all the ones with exhausts/induction kits etc at FCS an see if I fall in love with the sound of any of them - as the slightly more grunty noise is what I'm fancying - then maybe consider just doing that.

Dan

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I think if you have the cash to spend it. If you do one thing at a time I often think you never really feel the difference so why not if you have the disposable cash I'm sure it will make it much nicer to drive.

Swift Sport
I'm considering whether I need a K-Tec exhaust, sports cat, K-Tec ITG Maxogen induction kit and K-Tec (or RSTuning) remap.
Now according to the K-Tec site (http://www.k-tecracing.com/catalogue.asp?app=Clio 197) , and this has all been dyno proven apparently, the K-Tec exhaust is worth 7bhp (and 5lbs/ft), the ITG is worth 5bhp, they don't specify for the cat, but it's a 100 cell one (the Miltek sports cat in 200 cell) so must be worth what, 5bhp? And the remap allegedly offers 9bhp (and a peak of 20lbs/ft). Now, adding all this up would give 26bhp and at least 25lbs/ft (no figures for the cat and ITG) according to the figures. Whilst I find a gain that large from such simple mods VERY hard to beleive, it would suggest that maybe 15bhp is possible? The RSTuning map is allegedly even better - live mapped on their rolling road, one guy on Clio197.net saw a gain of +40lbs/ft peak low down!

Ideally I'd like to hear a car with the exhaust, hear a car with the ITG, then hear a car with both to see how loud they were, as I don't want it loud - maybe just a little more purposeful sounding heh. On a further note, the performance at the moment is more than acceptable, I just enjoy the modding hehe, and feel it could do with just a slightly more purposeful noise :p

Thoughts/opinions/abuse?

Dan

My thoughts exactly!! I was thinking of getting the same kinda stuff done to mine!!

I just want a bit more!!!! :D

Last edited:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Sounds good, if a little optimistic!

Don't go any further than basic breathing mods and a remap though, on the whole it's pointless, IMO.

i've personally settled on just a remap.

relatively cheap, makes car much more driveable low down. improves econmy and the kangarooing a bit too.

end of the day, its a new car so you dont wanna go nuts and screw up the warrenty.

you're never gonna see a massive power gain without big money, so just pocket the cash for petrol or your next car.

last time i went crazy and modded my old car, i regreted it in the end because i could have saved the money and been driving a 197 a year earlier.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yea I wouldn't be going any further than these basic mods - and I agree the power claims do sound a bit optimistic as I said hehe! I was only copying the numbers direct from the K-Tec site - although it could be that the stock induction an exhaust are a bit pony? Perhaps Renault didn't want it treading on the Meg's shoes hehe ;) <ducks>

Theduckeatspork - Awesome username, been meaning to mention that for a while hehe, good call on the white Cup, you'll love it :D

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yea I couldn't wait that long! Half of the reason why I got an R27 2nd hand hehe. I just drove home from my mates, empty back roads I know well. It's nice and warm and dry - and I was deliberatly been an arse in some of the tight open bends (so I could see if anyone was coming) trying to get the ESP to come on and it's so well setup - there is so much grip! And when you do get the ESP on all you really know about it is the light - it has such subtle inputs. To be honest though, the car is so well sorted you don't really need the ESP really heh!

hmm... my drive home consisted of trying to ignore my sunburn... I really should have looked at the wather forecast before going to RWS

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Yea I couldn't wait that long! Half of the reason why I got an R27 2nd hand hehe. I just drove home from my mates, empty back roads I know well. It's nice and warm and dry - and I was deliberatly been an arse in some of the tight open bends (so I could see if anyone was coming) trying to get the ESP to come on and it's so well setup - there is so much grip! And when you do get the ESP on all you really know about it is the light - it has such subtle inputs. To be honest though, the car is so well sorted you don't really need the ESP really heh!
heh, the wait for mine plus the 1st 600 miles were hell but after that I have loved every minute of the car!
I agree about the grip I've only seen the ESP flash at me and not really felt it although the car is much more fun with it switched off ;) Im sure yours is that wee bit better aswell being the R27 ;)

Also, a friend decided to hop in the drivers seat whilst I was messing around in the boot and because of the stupid keyless he started the car so I was in the passenger seat, he was amazed at how much grip the car has :D

back on topic though, I think every-one who has bought a 197 has thought of these basic mods because the claimed gains are pretty good, I'll be doing Yozza exhaust, Maxogen and a remap as soon as I have some cash lying around I think, the noise the car makes standard is good but I miss having a nice noisy car lol

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Now that's done 11k and had it's first service, I'm tempted to get it on the rollers - because I keep seeing other people making 200+bhp standard hehe! I'd be gutted if it made like 190 or something though. I reckon, buy an ITG panel from K-tec at FCS (hopefully) then take it to RSTuning just for a run on their rollers, just to see :)

Dan

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Now that's done 11k and had it's first service, I'm tempted to get it on the rollers - because I keep seeing other people making 200+bhp standard hehe! I'd be gutted if it made like 190 or something though. I reckon, buy an ITG panel from K-tec at FCS (hopefully) then take it to RSTuning just for a run on their rollers, just to see :)

Dan
seriously? people are making 200 on rollers, I expect to be around 192 mark tbh so thats pretty good. I hope that I have some cash for FCS show discounts are great things lol.

I want a 197!
Buy one, you wont regret it ;)