ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing Belt, oh bugger!

Clio 182
Job is coming along well now.

I've finished sorting out the cylinder head, replacing valves etc and it's back on now. Gearbox has been off and put a new clutch in too. Slowly getting everything back together now.

Made myself a cam alignment tool (not the prettiest, but it should be accurate as it's all flat ground material) and bought a TDC pin, so now I'm onto the timing belt.

I got it tensioned yesterday. Then I rotated the system (with crank and cam pulleys loosened) 6 revolutions backwards and adjusted the tension. Then I thought I'd rotate the lot again to see if it was still ok. After each revolution I nipped up the pulleys and loosened them again to make sure the pulleys were located axially. However as I was turning the system round I noticed the tensioner mark was moving about 1-2mm as the belt moved around. It generally seemed to go looser by that amount as I got to half a revolution and then back to the mark as I got round to a full revolution. Is it normal to see a bit of variation as it goes round? I guess it could be caused by the belt having a bit of built in shape.

I've tightened the pulleys now, using the other pulley locking tool, but just want to make sure I get this right, before I get onto the aux belt.

Got loads of pics as I've gone along, so hopefully will be able to help other people with the 'help cambelt' situation!