ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

throttles sticking

Renault clio 172
Hi all,

Hope some1 can throw some light on this for me, my 2001 clio 172's throttle is sticking at about 2000 revs, when i accelerate or rev the car it stays at this rev count unless i rev it quickly and release then it drops back down to normal, any 1 got any idea what the problem is here???

regards

joeyt172

Titanium 182
Where you air intake elbow thing joins the main body of the engine take it off so there is no rubber elbow.

The throttle body is on the right hand side on the engine you just disconnected the air inlet elbow from it. There are 4 bolts holding it to the side of the engine undo them there is also a electrical sensor plug underneath it just undo that too.

Then it should pull off and you can clean inside it with a rag and some WD40.

Should look similar to this: (Note this is off a supra not a clio)
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024 x 768 and is 174 KB.
throttle_body_01.jpg

Depending on your model the throttle body might have a paper gasket which will need replacing so make sure you have one before you take it off !

My 54 plate 182 had a reusable orange rubber O ring but the paper gaskets fall to pieces.

Or if its a PH1 it could be your throttle cable.

Renault clio 172
yop man thanks very much i have tried cleaning before but was in a rush so ill give it a proper go

cheers bud

Ph1 172 is a ghey paper gasket, had a far few of those.

I was led to believe this issue with the high idle was the spring on the throttle body not returning to its 'idle' state, mine does it sometimes and its clean as a whistle..

Titanium 182
Ph1 172 is a ghey paper gasket, had a far few of those.

I was led to believe this issue with the high idle was the spring on the throttle body not returning to its 'idle' state, mine does it sometimes and its clean as a whistle..

Aye I forgot to mention spray a load of carburrettor cleaner onto the spring and let all the crap drip out then use some kind of spray lubricant on it.

Renault clio 172
cheers guys, i wasnt aware of there being a gasket when i cleaned it the frist time can anyone update me to wether or not there should defenatley be one??

Titanium 182
cheers guys, i wasnt aware of there being a gasket when i cleaned it the frist time can anyone update me to wether or not there should defenatley be one??

There is a paper one or a rubber O ring gasket (Like a thick orange rubber band.)

Depends on which model you have, ring renault and ask though I don't know what yours will have :rasp:

PH1 172 Sport
Re-routing the cable so it only has small bends in it also helps. I use silicone sealant for the gasket as the paper ones were starting to piss me off!!